Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year and a half ago, I was having issues with the idle dropping. It wouldn't turn on the check engine light until one day when in addition to the dropping idle, it started staying revved up when I shifted into neutral. I had a mechanic hook it up to a computer and it showed that the MAP sensor was bad. Replaced it and had no issues for a while.

A few months ago, it started the dropping idle issue itermittently again. No check engine light and the mechanic could not get the idle to drop. I had a friend do some work recently including replacing the valve cover, intake, and throttle body gaskets, new spark plugs and boots. After that, it started the dropping idle issue worse, the check engine light came on, and now it is staying revved up when I shift into neutral again. Stopped at the mechanic this morning, MAP sensor code again.

Called the parts store where I bought the MAP sensor, and the one I bought only had a 1 year warranty. Had I known they had one with a lifetime warranty for $6 more, I would have bought that one...but I didn't know until today.

Anyway...what is the chance of a MAP sensor going out twice within a 2 year period? Is there anything else that can cause it throw a MAP sensor code? If it makes any difference, I did not replace the wire connectors that come off the back of the MAP sensor last time. Should I do that this time? Is this a common problem with the Colorado?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
MAP sensor could go bad anytime. Was it an aftermarket one or ACDelco? No need to replace the connector unless there was something wrong with the wiring/pins. What, exactly, was the DTC Code number? MAP Sensor problems happen on the 355, but I wouldn't call it "common".

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've had one go out on me about a few years ago now, but honestly who can say what the average lifespan of the MAP sensor is or if it's not being affected by some other electrical issue like the connector itself causing it to prematurely short out and fail. I'm sure there are many here who have never had to replace their MAP sensor even once perhaps... I'd say it's all a "luck of the draw".

Bottom line, if you've had two of them go out in a 2-year span, I'd start looking hard at your electrical systems starting with the MAP sensor's electrical connector itself, along with the connected wiring. If that doesn't fix it, then start checking your fusebox and then the grounds to the frame, as this is a known electrical issue that has plagued some people's trucks with many associated issues of which was solved by grinding clean the ground connections to the frame.

Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what the exact code was. Mechanic just told me it was the MAP sensor and said that if my part had a warranty, I should call the store where I bought it and they should replace it. Thats when I found out it was only 1 year. I don't remember what brand...that is the one receipt I don't have...but I know it wasn't AC Delco.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
If you have already replaced the MAP Sensor a second time and it corrected the problem, just drive it . If you haven't yet purchased a new Sensor, you might have better luck with OEM (ACDelco). If you don't have the DTC Code it will be hard to answer your question "Is there anything else that can cause it to throw a MAP sensor code?" What year and engine do you have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2005 4 cylinder. I just put on the second MAP sensor tonight. Seems to have corrected the issue. CEL did not come back on and it seemed to idle fine. Definitely didn't stay revved up to 2000 RPM.
This new one fit into place a lot tighter than the other. The bad one could wiggle around and the orange rubber would show. I thought that was a little strange from the beginning, but I'm not an expert so I thought maybe it should be that way. The new one fits quite tight. Now, hopefully, it won't give me any more issues!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, CEL came back on this morning, but the truck seems to be running fine. Seemed to rev up a tiny bit, maybe 300 more RPM, when coming to a stop, but dropped right back down to normal without dropping too low.

Trying to remember back to last time, I think the CEL came back on and I had to have it reset and drive it for a while to make everything go back to normal.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Hope the problem clears up. I found three DTCs related to the MAP Sensor. There may be more. DTC P0106: MAP sensor performance, DTC P0107: MAP sensor circuit low voltage, and DTC P0108: MAP sensor circuit high voltage. Most likely the mechanic saw the P0106 DTC. The other two codes could relate to wiring/connector issues. Worst case, could be an ECM issue. If you have to get it scanned again, ask for the DTC code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All was good last night and this morning. Now, CEL light is back on and running horrible. Even stalled on me while driving. RPM dropping way down. MAP sensor code again. Mechanic suggested cleaning throttle body, which I did about 20-30 thousand miles ago.
I asked the guy who replaced my throttle body and intake gaskets if there was any issue. He said everything went back together fine, no problems.
Any ideas on what else to check? When the mechanic has no idea...I am completely lost!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No help...Mechanic didn't give me an actual code and said they are all the same when I asked him. I sure wish the old mechanic in town was back!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last night and this morning, it was cooler. No issues. This afternoon, it is pretty hot outside. Don't know if that could affect anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
P0106 MAP sensor code, connector and wires

Just had P0106 come up indicating MAP sensor. Before replacing the MAP sensor, try wiggling the wires that branch from the main harness leading to the connector while the engine is running. When I did the engine starting surging and wanted to stall. I later found the green wire was broken internally about two inches from the MAP connector.
Replaced the MAP connector which comes with wires attached (ordered from RockAuto) and spiced the existing wires. The stock wires are very small 18-20ga and can get damaged easy. I think the dealer damaged the MAP sensor wires between main harness leading to the throttle body when disconnecting the plug for the throttle body for a special Technical Bulletin to replace the throttle body I received to correct a condition for surging and stalling. In addition, the original map wires lay on the intake, where they get all the vibration from the motor. The replacement MAP connector has 14ga wires, significantly more rigid. After replacing the MAP connector, the truck never ran better. Before it always used to get a slight ping on acceleration and sometimes rough running for no apparent reason. When the P0106 code occurred, it had an excessive misfire when starting after warm in addition to rough running, surging and occasional stalling.

Never needed to replace the MAP sensor.

I know this thread is old but might be helpful to somebody.

2009 Colorado, WT Ext cab, 2.9ltr, manual

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hope the problem clears up. I found three DTCs related to the MAP Sensor. There may be more. DTC P0106: MAP sensor performance, DTC P0107: MAP sensor circuit low voltage, and DTC P0108: MAP sensor circuit high voltage. Most likely the mechanic saw the P0106 DTC. The other two codes could relate to wiring/connector issues. Worst case, could be an ECM issue. If you have to get it scanned again, ask for the DTC code.
I can't get rid of p0107 for the life of me .helpp lol

·
Registered
6,357 Posts

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
2.8 4 cylinder yes replaced it 2004
Well, it must be a connection/wire problem or possibly the ECM. Usually the ECM is ok.
Have you checked the wiring?
Do you have a scan tool?

·
Registered
6,357 Posts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts