Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
This thing is not as fun as I hoped to access. It’s not hard but I’d like to do this every 15,000 miles and it’s annoying and worry about compromising the connector. The foam on top doesn’t seem to be removable without tearing it

Servicing the sensor is a good opportunity to throw a foam removal party and do that at the same time. Removing the foam was quite satisfying, making me feel warm and fuzzy inside. The foamectomy made no notable difference in sound while driving, as the engine is really pretty quiet while operating at normal speeds. It does sound quite a bit more clattery at idle without the foam.

There is a lotta foam. If I recall right, there is an upper layer that easily lifts off, and a lower nooks and crannies layer that requires a bit more determination. A long needle nose pliers is quite useful for getting the lower foam out.

I like the extra clatter at low speed, as it helps to confuse the 6.7 diesel truck owner on the other side of the pump when I pull into the gas station. :LOL: People out in the world truly do not know that a diesel is available in the twins.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It is pathetic how much of an improvement this cleaning made. 41,000 miles and it was packed with ****. Lately feeling a ton of uneven studdering acceleration especially when cold. At 41,000 miles right at the heart of where these motors blow...Even checked my turbo wheel.
Seeing how it runs now and a few weeks back dirty map and a bum nox sensor, no wonder I was pricing out 6.2 a10 Silverados.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm glad I purchased a new sensor and kept it in my truck. I was away from home on a trip when I got the dreaded CEL and reduced power message on my dash. I stopped and called the closest dealer and they informed me they would be closing in less time than I could make it there. Apparently all of the dealers in that area closed early on Saturdays and I was out of luck. They did give me a trick to reset the codes without a scanner, which I did, but the CEL came back in in about 3-4 miles. I stopped at a local auto parts store and they did a scan for me and got code P2463 which is DPF soot accumulation. I limped to my destination and met my family there and they had plenty of tools with them for repairs. Long story short, I replaced my MAP sensor and problem solved. Glad I had the spare with me, but some MAF cleaner would have worked too. Either way, P2463 code is not clear path to bad MAP, but I'm convinced it is most likely one of the suspect codes too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm glad I purchased a new sensor and kept it in my truck. I was away from home on a trip when I got the dreaded CEL and reduced power message on my dash. I stopped and called the closest dealer and they informed me they would be closing in less time than I could make it there. Apparently all of the dealers in that area closed early on Saturdays and I was out of luck. They did give me a trick to reset the codes without a scanner, which I did, but the CEL came back in in about 3-4 miles. I stopped at a local auto parts store and they did a scan for me and got code P2463 which is DPF soot accumulation. I limped to my destination and met my family there and they had plenty of tools with them for repairs. Long story short, I replaced my MAP sensor and problem solved. Glad I had the spare with me, but some MAF cleaner would have worked too. Either way, P2463 code is not clear path to bad MAP, but I'm convinced it is most likely one of the suspect codes too.
Any dpf codes since? Im having issues with too frequent regens. Ive narrowed it down to a boost leak or the map sensor. I just cleaned the MAP. Gonna see how it deals for the next few weeks. I have 127k. I tuned at about 80k. I do a ton of driving and my sensor was completely caked worse than any pics ive found. Im not sure how it even worked.

My Autosync was showing a max of 25psi boost. I used to get close to 32psi boost. Heres to hoping.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Nice trip down memory lane here. With EGR off via intact tuning, the MAP sensor stays clean :cool:

As for the sound deadening foam, that got removed ages ago. Being a simple and easy to amuse man, I like the slightly increased clatter at idle and "marine grade" look of the top of the engine with no 2.8 cover and no foam.

·
Registered
339 Posts
As for the sound deadening foam, that got removed ages ago. Being a simple and easy to amuse man, I like the slightly increased clatter at idle and "marine grade" look of the top of the engine with no 2.8 cover and no foam.
care to share a pic?
i keep being tempted to pull that all off but havent yet...

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
care to share a pic?
i keep being tempted to pull that all off but havent yet...
Good timing as I just gave it a light cleaning using a soft paint brush and leaf blower. It is amazing how well that waterless method works for interim quick cleanings.

Car Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold Car

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Looks good. Is that hose off of the back passanger side to a catchcan/AOS?
Yes, I have a Provent mounted up between the radiator and airbox. It was originally supposed to be a temporary situation, it has been zip tied there for 5 years and 62,000 miles now. :LOL:

Reactions: valvecovergasket

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Those zipties are +5tq
The amazing thing about the Provent arrangement is I have quite a long and slightly uphill hose from the valve cover to the can, and yet a lot of oil still gets in there. The amount of oil mist these engines pass is astounding.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The amazing thing about the Provent arrangement is I have quite a long and slightly uphill hose from the valve cover to the can, and yet a lot of oil still gets in there. The amount of oil mist these engines pass is astounding.
That they do. I forgot to empty my can one oil change and did it the next and it was pretty much full. At some point id like to move my can. its in front of the PCM right now with a setup i got from ADP which is of course. now defunct.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think it'd be interesting to drain back into the block to make it a little more self contained
Mann sells a check valve for this and I have my TDI swapped vanagon set up that way, check valve allows it to drain back only when there's no crank pressure, and whatever water and whatnot that goes back in gets burned off anyway and it all stays out of the intake

We're a long way from MAP sensors now haha

·
Registered
399 Posts
I feel like there was some kind of design error. my provent was catching about 1oz per 1000 miles

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well results are in. My regens have gotten way worse now. Im down to less than 200 miles between regens. I need to test for boost leaks.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Well results are in. My regens have gotten way worse now. Im down to less than 200 miles between regens. I need to test for boost leaks.
Ya, something is up there.

Reactions: valvecovergasket
21 - 37 of 37 Posts