Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching, but "map" is too short. Didn't really find any other posts on this subject, so here I am.

Has anyone removed and cleaned their MAP (not MAF) sensor and cleaned it or found it to be particularly gross? I know some folks like to pull and clean the EGR tube, but I don't recall seeing any mention about cleaning the MAP. I did this with my wife's EcoDiesel tonight because it's super easy to get to and clean. See attached pic for before/after results, Jeep has 60k on it.

Both my wife and I noticed that acceleration was a bit...non-linear. There would be a little bit of lag and then a sudden rush of boost when starting from a stop. Being a turbo diesel, some initial turbo lag is expected but this was more than typical based on the other diesels I've owned. Anyway, long story short, cleaning the MAP sensor solved the issue with excessive lag and sudden boost, there's better throttle response, better acceleration, and less lag now.

So, curious if anyone has done this with the LWN and what the results were in terms of dirtiness and/or performance/response changes after cleaning.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
i had cleaned this sensor just after tuning so my experience may differ from yours. My sensor looked pretty much like your before and after photos. I noticed no difference whatsoever in vehicle performance or response.

I have checked post tune and the sensor appears to be staying clean with the possible exception of a glossy oil film.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had cleaned this sensor just after tuning so my experience may differ from yours. My sensor looked pretty much like your before and after photos. I noticed no difference whatsoever in vehicle performance or response.

I have checked post tune and the sensor appears to be staying clean with the possible exception of a glossy oil film.

How many miles when you did the cleaning? I’m at 30k now and leaving on a road trip towing our travel trailer next week so was going to pull it and clean if necessary this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I cleaned the MAP sesnor at 17,500 miles. It looked much like your photo. I removed and cleaned the TB at the same time.
I had tuned at 17,100 and wanted to check how much cleaner if any things ran. I just see a light oil film now.

I ran the boroscope into both intercooler end bells after reading another post about oil accumulation. I only see a light film in there as well.

I didn't really notice any difference in the way the truck ran before/after the MAP cleaning. The sensor does appear to also have a thermistor or such and cleaning that can only speed up response to IAT changes. Still - no noticed difference in operation.

I used non chlorinated brake parts cleaner for whatever that's worth.

Enjoy your trip!

How many miles when you did the cleaning? I’m at 30k now and leaving on a road trip towing our travel trailer next week so was going to pull it and clean if necessary this weekend.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess you could say mine needed to be cleaned w/ 30k. Totally caked all around and actually didn’t look much worse than my wife’s EcoD with twice as many miles. Haven’t driven it yet since I just cleaned it, will be curious if I notice any difference in feel or boost readings.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anyone have a p/n for this? Seems that Rock Auto and GM Parts Direct have conflicting ones listed. Either way, for less than $20 I think I'd replace vs cleaning.

Reactions: Opusnbill7

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not super hard to get to but does have a few things in the way. Will need to remove plastic engine cover. Only has one T30 screw in the center. Did not have time this morning to remove and clean it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Anyone have a p/n for this? Seems that Rock Auto and GM Parts Direct have conflicting ones listed. Either way, for less than $20 I think I'd replace vs cleaning.
Go to NAPA, about $42 for a new one. Dealer wants over $100

·
Registered
174 Posts
mine went tits up while offroading a few weeks ago, just replace the damn thing, it's not that much and prevents repetitive failures of the same part.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I cleaned my MAP sensor today as well as the throttle body and the tried to clean the intake as best possible where there was tar like build up. I used a detail brush to knock off most of the build up on the sensor and then cleaned off with brake clean. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet. Easy job that took less than 30 minutes. You will need an female T10 torx bit.
Bumper Auto part
Auto part Vehicle Technology Electronic device Car
Impact driver Impact wrench Hammer drill Tool
Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Fuel line

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm aware, when you're 1500 miles from your mailbox, NAPA it is.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
So it is mounted behind and to the left of the throttle body! Thx for the photo. Some how I was thinking it was further back in the IC piping like on a VW TDI!

·
Registered
464 Posts
This thing is not as fun as I hoped to access. It’s not hard but I’d like to do this every 15,000 miles and it’s annoying and worry about compromising the connector. The foam on top doesn’t seem to be removable without tearing it

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It’s a funny catch 22 if you registration is expired. Sorry gotta drive 300 miles with expired tags to reset the engine monitor.
I think you’re in the wrong thread.

Also, you don’t have to drive any miles with expired registration if you renew it before it expires. That sounds like poor planning/procrastination to me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts