Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a 2011 Chevy Colorado auto with the 3.7L crew cab. It has basically all the options with 106k miles, the only problems I've had with it is the key cylinder failing and setting off the passlock, it burns alot of oil between changes, and random stupid lighting issues, i am looking at selling the truck in fear of the engine going at some point soon and picking up a 3.5L extended cab with a 5spd with similar spec but 155k miles running strong with alot of documented work. I really want a 5spd with the 5cyl motor would it be smarter to swap my current truck and do work to my motor or sell it and buy an older truck that has alot of documented work?

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Very hard decision, doing engine work on your existing high mileage truck will be very expensive, but then again, getting rid of one high mileage truck for another high mileage truck that you know nothing about, is also very risky. Even with the other truck, you could still end up with a truck that you will probably have to work on. I think your objective is to end up with something that you can drive and not be constantly working on it. If possible, you may want to think about a newer model if it’s in your budget.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the opinion, for me i try to do all the work myself as I'm 19 and working my way through school, i don't mind a high mileage vehicle and find myself not needing a crew cab and would love a 5spd, i have put 25k miles on this truck so far. I guess how much more reliable is a 3.7L with 100k vs a 3.5L with 150k, at the very least Selling mine and getting this other truck would put some extra cash in my pocket for when i do need to do repairs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing that hasn't been done on this truck is the timing chain, ac has been completely rebuilt, new fuel injectiors and rail, new clutch, and more

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Do some research on the timing chain replacement. A few on here have done it, it’s a real PITA trying to do it with the engine in the truck. Not something that is easily done in the driveway. That’s probably why that is the only thing that was not done and should have been at 100,000 miles, so it’s 50,000 overdue. I can agree with you trying to save some money, we would all like to do that too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate that, i am worried my 3.7 will go out pre maturity compared to some Colorados I've seen around 200+230kmiles, neither mine nor the truck have had the timing chains changed but the 3.5 in the 05 I'm looking at is running stronger, either way I'd probably pull the motor and do it outside the truck,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts