Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Colorado is just about at 60,000 miles & after being floored by the dealer's price tag of $1800 + for 60,000 mile service. I am wondering what is really necessary at this point?
My 2005 lasted over 223,000 miles & all I did is kept oil changed & replaced things as they wore out. Sure, I had radiator flush & a transmission fluid change or two, but the biggest problem I ever had with it was the main computer & I'm guessing no service would have prevented that.
All that being said, what are others doing as far as service, maintenance, etc?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I spent more than that on my last major service on my old Rodeo, only to find that the shop (not a dealer) skipped a scheduled item. The important thing is that your shop be honest. If they are, it's worth it to take care of your vehicle by the book, in my opinion.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I am at 60K as well. At last oil change, dealer recommended service the locking differential and the transmission, total of ~$320.00. I am contemplating whether to have them do it or a trusted shop.

Did he give you an itemized list of the items? I can see with 4WD a little bit more involved, but not sure how you get to that price.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I have a 2016 Colorado. The 60,000 mile service is the same as for every multiple of 7,500 miles.
Check the 40K or 45K schedule under the severe duty. it has a few extra items.

It is the severe duty schedule that causes me to hesitate. Does the minimal towing I do constitute severe duty? Does Texas weather in general meet the severe duty for temp & dust?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Its good to change out ALL fluids periodically. Coolant has about a 5-10year/100k service interval, differential fluids about 60k miles, brake fluid 5years/60k, transmission fluid up to about 100k. Oils and fluids are cheap to replace. Sometimes fluids are "lifetime" as it may make it more approachable for the owner, as all the fluids will survive the 60k mile powertrain warranty. But overtime, metal shavings, water/humidity, heat and wear change the properties of the fluids, so its good practice to sensibly change them. Sometimes these services are a bit of a PITB to do, but its cheap to do it yourself, and there are plenty of how tos on youtube to help you change things.

If you tow recreationally, or occasionally do outings in severe areas, you don't have to stick to the Severe duty schedule. But generally the severe schedule has more recommended services, so I tend to do every other severe duty schedule.

Overall, if you plan on having a trouble free vehicle, plan on doing the "little things" to keep your truck happy for years to come.

and according to the below, there is no 60K service. There is a 45k and a 90k, but they are generally aimed for the severe schedule, so OP i would say you are probably fine, maybe swap the brake fluid if you live in a humid area, as brake fluid loves to hold onto water, and overtime will cause internal rust and poor braking performance. Otherwise, services like differential, trans, and transfer case fluids could be done at 90K.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/da...hevrolet/Colorado/2016 Chevrolet Colorado.pdf

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
Check the 40K or 45K schedule under the severe duty. it has a few extra items.

It is the severe duty schedule that causes me to hesitate. Does the minimal towing I do constitute severe duty? Does Texas weather in general meet the severe duty for temp & dust?
I would say yes it does.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
True, but there is hardly anything expensive on the normal schedule. I can't find anything on the differential. Is the fluid good forever?
Apparently GM is ok with the diff oil going beyond 150K. Used to be a diff failure of any kind was rare for the life of the vehicle. I've seen pinon bearings go at about 60K or so but I don't think it was fluid related. My guess is a defective bearing but who knows for sure? Realistically I would be comfortable going a 100K. With that being said, on out trucks it is so easy to change (has a drain plug) why not do it at 60k or so? Shoot, if you can do it yourself go for it more often, even full syn gear lube isn't that expensive.

Generally always just follow the manufactures recommendation. Always watch out for up-selling. These places do it constantly, and make a fortune ripping people off at the same time. Injector cleaning is a good example. I bet most of those bastards don't do anything at all on that one. Impossible to prove either way.

Reactions: CrashFix

·
Registered
634 Posts
I changed my diff fluid at 6K miles and it was totally black and lots of metal residue on the plug. No way I'd wait for 100k miles to change out something so easy...

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I changed my diff fluid at 6K miles and it was totally black and lots of metal residue on the plug. No way I'd wait for 100k miles to change out something so easy...
Did you mean to write 60K?
Isn't differential oil black when you put it in? (I do remember loving the smell of the 90 weight oil.)

I will probably pay someone to change by differential oil. Would you guys purchase GM spec'd oil for a garage, or trust them to use the right oil?

I had some bright guy at one of these oil change places one time brag to me about topping off the fluid in my differential in my Wrangler during an oil change. Thankfully, he told me so I could have them drain it and replace with the correct spec oil since the Wrangler called for synthetic.

Similar with transmission fluid. I am a bit nervous doing a fluid change with no dip stick. I may stick with dealer who I assume knows how to do this properly.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I'm pretty sure its like any differential fill. Drain it, and then add in fluid until it touches the bottom of the upper bolt hole. They will charge you a lot for a very simple service.
I am more worried about some idiot using the wrong oil than mechanics of oil change on differential.

The transmission fluid change bothers me with no dipstick.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am more worried about some idiot using the wrong oil than mechanics of oil change on differential.

The transmission fluid change bothers me with no dipstick.
Oh dang! Your right. I forgot about that little diddy.

Seems like its like a differential now... Fill until it pours out! After warming it up properly...

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I actually changed mine at 10K and it was dark, not exactly black. But still I don't think there is a problem going 100k and beyond. There are millions of vehicles out there that have gone well over a 100K without even looking at the differential. This is a guess, but I'll go with over 99% of those have never had a diff problem of any kind, not even a seal leak. Just sayin... Agreed though, I would not do it either but i wouldn't loose sleep over it either. And yes, it is so very easy to change on our trucks, no excuse really. :)

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
Isn't differential oil black when you put it in? (I do remember loving the smell of the 90 weight oil.)

I will probably pay someone to change by differential oil. Would you guys purchase GM spec'd oil for a garage, or trust them to use the right oil?

I had some bright guy at one of these oil change places one time brag to me about topping off the fluid in my differential in my Wrangler during an oil change. Thankfully, he told me so I could have them drain it and replace with the correct spec oil since the Wrangler called for synthetic.

Similar with transmission fluid. I am a bit nervous doing a fluid change with no dip stick. I may stick with dealer who I assume knows how to do this properly.
No it's not black, it is brown much like motor oil.

I would buy a full syn oil and give it to them to use. That's what I put in mine, I hope the G80 clutches don't dissolve or something.....oops.....lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
For those mentioning the switch to use "full synthetic" for the transmission.......

I believe our trucks call for Dexron VI trans fluid.......if that is correct........AC Delco Dexron VI is a full synthetic.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.