Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've blown through 3 shock mounts in the past 2 years. The first time was my fault after installing my Bilstein 6112s, I didn't use the shock boot so I didn't have the bottom washer. Shock blew through the top, whatever next time I'll add a washer. I thought that was the fix for about a year until my shock pulled out of the mount because of droop and heavy 35" tires. This time both sides pulled out. My permanent solution is to install limit straps, everything should arrive next week. Here's my other solution, just for ease of mind mostly, not having to worry if my shock will rip out again when I'm on the trail. Came out feeling solid.
Gas Jewellery Body jewelry Cable Electrical wiring

Leg Wood Font Automotive tire Gas

Hood Wood Automotive exterior Material property Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Engineering

Light Automotive lighting Musical instrument Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
2,373 Posts
Those rubber mounts are there to allow the shock shaft to pivot while the suspension is cycling. You're gonna break something else with that rigid mount setup, whether it be the plate you made or the shock shaft.

Not sure how much thread you have to work with, but I would recommend you add shock stem bushings to allow movement.

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
Limit straps is all you need

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those rubber mounts are there to allow the shock shaft to pivot while the suspension is cycling. You're gonna break something else with that rigid mount setup, whether it be the plate you made or the shock shaft.

Not sure how much thread you have to work with, but I would recommend you add shock stem bushings to allow movement.
I reused the collar/sleeve from the original mount. I thought about something breaking, we'll just have to see what happens. So far it's been holding up well. This weekend I'll be heading up to Big Bear to test it out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: my shocks and mounts held up to some trailing up by Big Bear. Got my limit straps yesterday in the mail as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts