Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my 2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO and purchased a 2017 LT 4x4 crew cab 3.6 V6. Great truck, but I wish the suspension was a little less soft. Truck rides like a baby carriage sometimes and wattles side to side. I pushed on the rear bumper and the rear bounced up and down. If I did this on the NISMO it would not move. Anyone else wish that their LT had a tighter suspension?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sold my 2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO and purchased a 2017 LT 4x4 crew cab 3.6 V6. Great truck, but I wish the suspension was a little less soft. Truck rides like a baby carriage sometimes and wattles side to side. I pushed on the rear bumper and the rear bounced up and down. If I did this on the NISMO it would not move. Anyone else wish that their LT had a tighter suspension?
Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable shocks will fix the issue I promise it's the best money I've spent on my truck this far. If you shop around you can get them for under $370 for all four

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable shocks will fix the issue I promise it's the best money I've spent on my truck this far. If you shop around you can get them for under $370 for all four

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Do you need the Height adjustable on the back?
Maybe less expensive for Rancho's or another none adjustable shock on the back?

I need to drive the LT and Z71 or LE and Alterain to see the difference in ride.

So if the Canyon LE is softer then a All Terrain(Z71) 20's may not ride to rough, what ya think?

·
Registered
194 Posts
That was one of my complaints about the stock suspension on my truck. My truck is a 2017 LT 4x4- you will definitely want to get some new struts. If You want to save money I would definitely recommend the eibach ride height adjustables with their custom coils. That will firm your ride right up

·
Registered
556 Posts
Progressive rate leaf springs. Love them. Throw a little weight in the truck and they will firm right up.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

I need to drive the LT and Z71 or LE and Alterain to see the difference in ride.

So if the Canyon LE is softer then a All Terrain(Z71) 20's may not ride to rough, what ya think?
There is no such thing as 'height' adjustable shocks for the rear. Perhaps you're getting that confused with adjustable dampening?

Don't get Roncho's.....I mean Rancho's. Your truck deserves much better than that. :)

If stiffer shocks don't help the rear, then you're only hope is to get stiffer leaf springs.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
There is no such thing as 'height' adjustable shocks for the rear. Perhaps you're getting that confused with adjustable dampening? .
Nope, I just read what MiniMax16 wrote,

"Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable shocks will fix the issue. If you shop around you can get them for under $370 for all four"

I assumed "all four" meant all 4 are Adjustable. I had Bilsteins on my Taco, it road like it had solid suspension, no shock at all, I changed to Rancho's and the ride was so much better...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Nope, I just read what MiniMax16 wrote,

"Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable shocks will fix the issue. If you shop around you can get them for under $370 for all four"

I assumed "all four" meant all 4 are Adjustable. I had Bilsteins on my Taco, it road like it had solid suspension, no shock at all, I changed to Rancho's and the ride was so much better...
The logistics of 'height adjustable' doesn't apply to the rear because the leaf springs aren't attached to the shock. The front struts are height adjustable because the coil sits right ON the strut itself and the position of that coil is adjustable on the strut.

I surely hope your Ranchos last a long time for you or they've improved them over the years. I've had a couple sets of them in the past, and they leaked after 1 year. I'd never buy them again. Good Luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hellwig LP15 helper springs would work. I just installed them on my 17 Z71 diesel CCLB. They cost $230 from sdtrucksprings.com. My shocks are the ones that came with the RC 4 inch lift. The ride was already pretty good but a bit soft for my taste. With the Hellwigs installed, I torqued the end bolts for tighter tension and the difference is pretty amazing. They improved just about all aspects of the vehicle's ride and handling. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Hellwig LP15 helper springs would work. I just installed them on my 17 Z71 diesel CCLB. They cost $230 from sdtrucksprings.com. My shocks are the ones that came with the RC 4 inch lift. The ride was already pretty good but a bit soft for my taste. With the Hellwigs installed, I torqued the end bolts for tighter tension and the difference is pretty amazing. They improved just about all aspects of the vehicle's ride and handling. Well worth the money.

While I do not have personal experience I have had several friends install helper springs on the rear and they really liked to results.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Very interesting, my 2016 LT 4x4 is pretty stiff in the back and rides great. If it bounces with no/little help the shock/s are bad. (look up how to check shocks) I would go to the dealer and compare it to another truck. If it is indeed loosy goosy I would ask them to change the rear shocks (or fix it anyway). Shoot its brand new, it shouldn't do that. Saying it waddles side to side makes me wonder if the tires and shocks both are ok. Anyway, I would check the basics like tire pressure and look for a leaky shock. You didn't say if it was brand new though did you? Maybe someone put some crap shocks or tires on it. I've installed new shocks that were worse than the worn out ones I was replacing them with (KYB). A quick look under the back would tell you that also.

It could very well be that the truck is perfectly normal and your Nissan was super stiff and thats what you are used to. Hellif I know :???:

·
Registered
183 Posts
In my experience (2016 LT), the stock shocks are way too tight on compression but have absolutely zero rebound dampening (as if the shocks were completely shot). Eibachs solved that problem, making the truck much more civilized.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts

Is there a difference between the models and suspension/ride? I would think not. Except the ZR2 because it at least has different shocks.

I think the shocks would have very little effect if any on using bigger wheels. What happens with the bigger wheels is you end up with low profile tires and that makes it harsh because the sidewall is so small. The difference is between harsh and stiff. I've never played with these setups but I bet someone on here has. There are lots of people with 20s Im sure. The 20s with small sidewalls would make it handle turns better though. IMO 20s are for sports cars and maybe lowered trucks. So sue me.
:laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.