Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
So I'm going to install the Daystar boot. Did you have to cut out the clutch knockout outline on the firewall pad before drilling? Also, my engine side firewall has some foil tape on it, did yours come with that?

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
So I'm going to install the Daystar boot. Did you have to cut out the clutch knockout outline on the firewall pad before drilling? Also, my engine side firewall has some foil tape on it, did yours come with that?
Dont remember any foil tape.

The cut outs are already in both the firewall mat on the engine side and the insulation mat in the foot well so those should be pretty easy for you to pull out. I dont recall if there was any actual indication in the metal though. If there is it's just a stamp and not cut through. But even if it's not there, the way the engine side mat cutout is you'll pretty clearly see where you should be putting the hole.

Once you get it pretty close to what looks like the right size. Stop and clean up any burrs with a file, then test fit the boot. You dont want to make the mistake of making the hole too large and then trying to find another boot to fit. I was being real conservative and checked mine like 3-5 times before I got it opened up just right.

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Well out with the Diamondback and in with a cap.

Added Leer 180 yesterday and wired up today. Ordered it in Cyber Grey in keeping with the two tone wheel theme. The colors transition pretty drastically between light and shadow. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Well, I did like the Dback better, but this one sets off the rear bumper a lot more. Any plans for backup lighting in that monster?

Also interested to see what tricks you have planned for the interior.

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Well, I did like the Dback better, but this one sets off the rear bumper a lot more. Any plans for backup lighting in that monster?

Also interested to see what tricks you have planned for the interior.
Unsure on both accounts but I have a few ideas so we'll see what shapes up :grin2:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Well out with the Diamondback and in with a cap.

Added Leer 180 yesterday and wired up today. Ordered it in Cyber Grey in keeping with the two tone wheel theme. The colors transition pretty drastically between light and shadow. :surprise:

I like the 2 tone, maybe consider tying in more of the grey on the rocker panels under the doors??

Reactions: lqdchkn

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok, so I have the truck covers USA rolling cover w/ bed rug and I love it ... but ... I have been considering getting a shell lately. What had you get one and what do you like or not like about it?

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Ok, so I have the truck covers USA rolling cover w/ bed rug and I love it ... but ... I have been considering getting a shell lately. What had you get one and what do you like or not like about it?
Really the only things that could go in the "not like" column is visibility.
I DD my truck and theres usually decent traffic so it's going to take come getting used to. But my last truck was an FJ and those take some getting used to also, so Im sure I can figure it out.
Additionally the rear tinted cab glass and the front shell glass make for an awesome (not awesome) mirror so rear view mirror visibility is pretty reduced.

But the reason I changed was that most of my camping buddies are going on less trips/shorter trips do to family, so I figure not having to setup a sleep area will make me more inclined to get away either on my own or for shorter durations.

I was very at odds with this decision when I bought the Diamondback and thought it to be the right choice but then my close buddy got a full on camper making his setup, well 0, lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Iqdchkn, do you have pics of how the supermod skids attach to the truck?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yo, @lqdchkn how did you get the ******* battery out to drill the clutch knockout? I've got that fuse manifold off, the upper bar and lower wedge off, and it ain't comin' out.

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #135 (Edited)
Yo, @lqdchkn how did you get the ******* battery out to drill the clutch knockout? I've got that fuse manifold off, the upper bar and lower wedge off, and it ain't comin' out.
LOL, yeah fun huh? 60lbs and mystery mount. :serious:

The base of the battery is flanged and locked into the base. If I remember right you need to slide it (forward I think and move it in board) to unlock it from the edges of the tray and then maybe tilt it to get it out. You may want to get a flash light to see the bottom to see exactly where the tray is holding the flanges, I really dont recall exactly, now.

You can see the base flanges Im talking about on the side view pics of it on amazon:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-49AGM-Professional-Automotive-Battery/dp/B006N91BLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509197142&sr=8-1&keywords=2016+colorado+battery[/ame]

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #136 (Edited)
Finally got my rear platform done.

Now just gotta figure out how to reorganize and reload my everyday gear

But here's some pics:

Mocking up:

Completed, stowed/everyday:

Folded out for sleeping:

Side storage access:

Center storage will fit these cool bins 3 deep:

Fridge space:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Did the 270 Diamondback require drilling? What are the holes on the bed bulkhead?

I dig the self contained setup. The light colored carpet is unique, was that on purpose or just had that color on hand?

I see wiring at the left rear, very interested to see what you do with that.

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #138 (Edited)
Did the 270 Diamondback require drilling? What are the holes on the bed bulkhead?
Yes those are the holes from the center mount and the corner braces/lock brackets from the Diamondback. The large white "putty" in the corners is sugru to fill the little gap in the bed folds...help to some water out, not that much got it.
I dig the self contained setup. The light colored carpet is unique, was that on purpose or just had that color on hand?
Wanted something that would brighten up the interior a bit. Just make it a bit easier to see stuff if/when youre trying to see in the dark. Carpet over paint for a tad bit of insulation and to help keep stuff from sliding if I have to set stuff up there
I see wiring at the left rear, very interested to see what you do with that.
That just the wiring for the cap. Electric lock, third brake light, interior light.

I still need to wire up the battery back to the charge controller, panels, fridge. Not sure how where I want to do that exactly yet :serious:

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
So with all the added weight, I decided on airbags over the helper springs

The Firestone kit looked amazing and offers extremely simple bolt on, no drill install and was on sale for only $40 more than the helper spring kit I was looking at. Given the easy to which you can fine tune the air bags this was a no brainer for me.

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
So heres how the wiring turned out, pretty much the same as it was.

Not exactly sure what I want to do with the panels but Im not going to mount them on the truck. So they are just in the back and collect whatever they can through the side windows...which Im sure is fine to keep a trickle charge on the battery. Im gonna rig some kinda collapsible mount for when Im camped and need to have them out. I have them on a 25ft extension cord which is only 14awg. I wanted to run 10awg but thos extension cords are really expensive and this one was on sale at Ace for $8. If it ends up restricting power too much i can always upgrade later.

Mounted the solar controller on the bed side using the OEM tiedowns as bolts :wink2:

121 - 140 of 146 Posts