Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to do a well overdue oil change today and while checking all my fluids noticed my coolant reservoir was nearly empty, maybe less than an inch from the bottom left. So I ran to the store after to get a bottle of antifreeze and fill it up to the cold fill line. I have 2 questions:
1) Should I be concerned that my coolant was so low? I've not seen any leaks or wet spots under my truck to indicate a leak.
2) Although the manual says to use Dex Cool I just got a bottle of Prestone 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze/Coolant. Am I alright to have added this even with the original coolant being Dex Cool (orange) and this being more a green? Or should I have look for specific Dex Cool? Never really done much with the cooling system in my vehicles so not too sure.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Reactions: jabush

·
Registered
2017 LT 4X4 EXT CAB
27 Posts
Good information to know.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If you’re still under warranty..... ask your dealership to ‘top it off’. I used to do that with my Tacoma - even when it was 8 years old, my dealership would always top it off for free.

Continue to keep an eye on it - If you continue to lose fluid regularly, you might be developing a leak (however small).

On previous trucks I’ve had - spent a couple years topping off the resevoir periodically and eventually the leak got worse to the point it was a visual drip (water pump). Another truck - I replaced the radiator cap twice - OEM caps were junk.

These trucks don’t have radiator caps - which I’m totally not used to!! LOL

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You should not be using coolant.

Lot of things can cause this loss from simple like loose hose clamps to leaking head gaskets and many things in between. Keep an eye on it and and find that leak.

I have one in here right now that the leak is so bad that the oil came out looking like chocolate milk with the consistency of honey. The owner has known he had a leak for at least 2 years and had it parked for the last 3 months. Oil analysis says anti-freeeze content of 2.9% and water content so high that a flash test can not be run. With 2.9% antifreeze content we can assume at a 50/50 mix that the water content is another 2.9%. Because it was parked for 3 months the piston rings rusted from the water and are stuck in some of the cylinders. I'm right now trying to free them up without disassembling the engine. Borescope (Camera) shows light rusting in several cylinders.

I am telling you all of this trying to convince you to not let this go. Also NEVER let the overflow bottle go empty and let air in the cooling system. You are using Dexcool. When air gets in the cooling system with Dexcool it makes a real expensive mess to clean out if you catch it in time. I have fixed way too many Dexcool sludged up vehicles.

Hopefully this is minor like a water pump seal, cracked or loose hose, or radiator leak. Most leaks are. Watch it closely, never let it go dry, and go find that leak. A simple radiator pressure test might be in order.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
1. How often do you check the reservoir coolant level? The truck is 13 years old. How many times has the coolant system been drained/refilled? If the reservoir level hasn't been adjusted for 13 years, the loss can be attributed to evaporation.

2. Empty the reservoir and service it with the correct coolant. Preferably before the fluid migrates into the system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.