Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 started doing the same thing at 54,000 miles. The dealership is replacing the injector pump under the 8/80 diesel warranty... Once GM goes off strike and can ship the parts. I will update once it is complete. Also having a potential turbo issue that squeals under downshift at 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Update on mine. They diagnosed it as the fuel pump going bad. I have an extended warranty and they initially denied the claim. The dealer had a warranty rep come and do their own inspection, then decided to honor the claim. $4,429 to replace the effin' fuel pump! Unbelievable! I am so glad I bought the extended warranty.

They have had the truck for 3 weeks as of today because they are still waiting on parts. At least they have me in a loaner Silverado. One thing is for certain. I won't own this truck long enough for this new pump to go bad.

By the way....... this injector pump ticking is much louder than the def injector ticking sound we all hear in the drive-thru. I don't want people to confuse the two. One is normal, the other is not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Joined this forum today to follow this issue. My '16 Canyon started doing this at around 70K miles. Just got off the phone with the dealership where I dropped it off last night. I have done all service at the dealership to keep them honest on their warranty. They said it is injector noise and that it is normal(are you F*$#!+^ KIDDING ME!). They wont change injectors without a check engine light. As previously stated, it is now embarrassing to drive it, sounds ridiculous, it sounds broken. I have loved driving this truck and was hoping to drive it for a long time. Now I will have to because nobody will buy it with this noise. Hopefully it will pop a check engine light before my extended warranty runs out. SO PISSED right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was told the same thing the first time that I took it in as well. At that point it was documented so regardless of mileage the complaint would stand in the event of failure. The ticking noise worsened by the time of my next oil change and just so happened a brand new Canyon diesel with 50 miles rolled into the shop for pre-delivery inspection. No ticking in front of the service manager or diesel tech! That's when they decided to change the injector pump... Which is still on order due to the strike. I will update once it is replaced to inform if the ticking is gone or still exists.

·
Registered
12 Posts
New dealership. New diagnosis. Injector pump incoming. Also getting a new TC for my new tranny stutter. All this about 10K beyond MFR warranty. Again, so happy I bought the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having these same issues on my 2.8 with 47k miles. Took it to my local dealership on 10/31 where they diagnosed it as the injector pump. They said due to the GM strike, the part is on back-order and would be about a month. Called again yesterday (12/02) and they said it was still on back-order. I'm noticing a fair amount of power loss when accelerating but they claim it is okay to drive. Should I be worried about this causing significant engine damage in the long run?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Update on mine. They diagnosed it as the fuel pump going bad. I have an extended warranty and they initially denied the claim. The dealer had a warranty rep come and do their own inspection, then decided to honor the claim. $4,429 to replace the effin' fuel pump! Unbelievable! I am so glad I bought the extended warranty.

They have had the truck for 3 weeks as of today because they are still waiting on parts. At least they have me in a loaner Silverado. One thing is for certain. I won't own this truck long enough for this new pump to go bad.

By the way....... this injector pump ticking is much louder than the def injector ticking sound we all hear in the drive-thru. I don't want people to confuse the two. One is normal, the other is not.
I’d like to see the invoice for that repair if you have it. I don’t see why it would cost that much to replace the injection pump or even the injection pump and injectors. That’s insane.

What's the cost of the injector pump for those of us out of warranty?
Just under $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you have power loss, I'd make other transportation plans until you get it fixed. Make regular calls to check on the part status too.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
If the injection pump costs $500, then it's $4,000 to install it?

Someone pls tell me this is not accurate.
Pretty sure the injection pump is mounted on the lower driver's side of the engine and is driven by the timing belt. If we had a gear-driven timing system it would be much easier, but with the timing belt that means the belt has to be removed to replace the pump. Still, $4,000 in labor is excessive as timing belt replacement doesn't cost anywhere near that much as it's in the neighborhood of $1,000 out the door to have it done. Labor is around 4 hours to R&R, so $500 pump + $400 labor for the belt + another hour or so for the pump labor itself, I don't see why it should cost more than $1,000, $1,500 max, for a shop to replace the injection pump. $4,400 sounds ridiculous.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Does it sound like a stuck hydraulic lifter? If yes, believe it or not sometimes you can use an oil additive to clean out the goo and get the lifters working again. I just crossed 25k miles and mine sounds like one of the lifters is starting to get a little noisy.

I would not add any oil thickener like this guy does at the end, but he gives a good example of lifter tick and how some additives can clean out the goo and free up the lifters again:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Warranty company won't cover my the injector pump until it fails! I have never felt this level of buyers remorse in my life. The truck sounds ridiculously broken, it is embarrassing to drive.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Warranty company won't cover my the injector pump until it fails! I have never felt this level of buyers remorse in my life. The truck sounds ridiculously broken, it is embarrassing to drive.
Unfortunately, this is why I only buy factory extended warranties. Third-party extended warranties aren’t worth the paper they’re written on because they look for any reason they can to deny claims.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If it is as bad as you say, then it sounds like you need a mechanic to declare it as "failed". If it were on an airplane it would be declared failed and not be allowed to fly. If it were my own truck that my wife and family would travel in, I would certainly consider it failed and replace it before it leaves my family stranded. So nothing wrong with finding a mechanic to declare the same to get them to pay as they are supposed to.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
The factory warranty wouldn't have covered it either. GM says its a normal noise.
If GM says it’s normal yet a different dealer diagnosed it as a bad injection pump then the story isn’t lining up. If the dealer says it’s failing then there’s no reason the factory warranty would deny covering it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You need to find a dealership that gives a crap. Talk to the service manager on a slow day, be nice but persistent. Have their diesel tech compare the noise to a new 2.8 diesel, etc. Polite persistence is going to be the only way to get this fixed before it fails it sounds like. If you get the service manager and diesel tech on your side, they will go to bat for you with the warranty company.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts