Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my 17 4x4 diesel for two years in February with 62k miles. About a couple weeks ago noticed this loud ticking noise out of nowhere.
The noise is new and not of the usual diesel clatter. I can place the truck in park and rev to about 15-1700 rpm and the ticking will increase in volume with those revs.
While driving just above idle (around a parking lot for example) the noise is very present and loud. Also the ticking increases and decreases with engine rpm while driving normally.
There’s no decreas in power or torque that I can tell, and mpg is the same. Ive checked oil level, underneath truck, and searched the form with no result.
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Exhaust leak is a possibility. Downpipe gasket, manifold leak, EGR leak.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Look up duramax typewriter ticking on google. Been going on a long time for lots of duramax engines. Supposedly it is often related to oil brand but is also apparently nothing to worry about. Friend of mine has a 2007 duramax that ticks every day.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Look up duramax typewriter ticking on google. Been going on a long time for lots of duramax engines. Supposedly it is often related to oil brand but is also apparently nothing to worry about. Friend of mine has a 2007 duramax that ticks every day.

6.6 noises and issues don't apply, 100% different engines.

·
Registered
298 Posts
6.6 noises and issues don't apply, 100% different engines.

Cool story. It’s still a diesel. 6.6 can do it. 6.7 can do it. Durmax can do it. Powerstroke can do it.

Go to ColoradoDiesel forum, it’s prevalent over there. That is this same engine.

Doesn’t mean that is your exact issue. But you described a ticking noise. And it’s mostly commonly heard at places like a drive through window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Cool story. It’s still a diesel. 6.6 can do it. 6.7 can do it. Durmax can do it. Powerstroke can do it.

Go to ColoradoDiesel forum, it’s prevalent over there. That is this same engine.

Doesn’t mean that is your exact issue. But you described a ticking noise. And it’s mostly commonly heard at places like a drive through window.

I don’t have an issue. I’m just telling you that referencing noises and problems with a completely different engine doesn’t help the OP. Just because it’s a diesel doesn’t mean anything. Might as well compare a 6.2 LS V8 to a 6.2 Hellcat. They’re both 6.2L gas engines after all. Nothing alike, so comparing one’s problem to the other is apples and oranges.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Possibly the "ticking" noise that you hear, is the fuel injectors opening/closing. Pop-off pressures are (don't quote me on this) around 1300-1700lbs. for most diesel engines IIRC, so they can get a little noisy, especially when it's cold out. I had a '95 Ford 1 ton, 4x4, long-box, CCB, with the PowerStroke in it and it was noisy as heck. OLDDUDE:smile2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took it to the dealership, and the service rep said the diesel tech listened to the noise using a stethoscope and determined the noise was coming from the injector pump.
I was told all is functioning correctly and the noise was within spec., so no further action was required..
I’m not happy about that. I asked them to preform a balance ratio test on the cylinders to confirm if the injectors were performing correctly, but was denied and told I would be paying out of pocket, since there is no failure or check engine light.
I’ll update this thread if anything happens. Thank you for the replies.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Took it to the dealership, and the service rep said the diesel tech listened to the noise using a stethoscope and determined the noise was coming from the injector pump.
I was told all is functioning correctly and the noise was within spec., so no further action was required..
I’m not happy about that. I asked them to preform a balance ratio test on the cylinders to confirm if the injectors were performing correctly, but was denied and told I would be paying out of pocket, since there is no failure or check engine light.
Isn't the 2.8 covered only by the 5 year/60k warranty? So, at 62k you're already outside of factory warranty coverage....

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
For the heck of it, try running 16oz of Power Service Diesel Kleen (silver bottle) through a full tank of fuel and see if it helps any.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I’ve heard the ticking noise. Thought I was told somewhere it was the def injector

·
Registered
74 Posts
Isn't the 2.8 covered only by the 5 year/60k warranty? So, at 62k you're already outside of factory warranty coverage....[/QUOTE

Make them goodwill the work! Keep crying, they will fold!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Mine just developed the same problem @ 86k miles. It have always had the DEF injector tick at idle, but this is different. Sounds like an injector going bad. Troubled to hear that Chevy has encountered yet another issue that they can't figure out and send you home with "operating as designed" crap. I used to love the sound of my truck at idle. Now it's embarrassing.

I think I will be moving over to the 3.0 Duramax Silverado. Specs are impressive.

P.S. I run Diesel Kleen in every tank of fuel (to answer the poster above).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Took it in to the stealership. Talked to their diesel guy. They said it's nothing to worry about. Yes they can hear it. They had another 2.8l ready to compare when I showed up. Said they will make some inquiries and gave me a 1 800 number to call and also explain my issue.

I think this is one of those things that at best will take time for them to figure out. Enough people have to complain and inquire I would assume. It sucks, no doubt. I would of considered a Tacoma knowing all the issues I have had with this one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ours does it too, but its way less pronounced with the Motul 5w40 Dexos 2 oil that I switched too on the last change.

It has done it since new though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts