Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Loud Squeak while decelerating? *SOLVED*

So I've owned my '16 Colorado Diesel 4x4 for a little over a month now. So far, I'm loving it. (Getting between 27-33 MPG!). I am, however, having a minor issue...
On occasion, there is a very loud squeaking coming from under the hood (as far as I can tell). When at speed, there is no noticeable noise (though it could be masked by road noise). The squeaking only happens when I'm driving slow and/or coming to a stop. Once stopped and idling, the sound goes away. This makes it tough to diagnose, since I can't pop the hood at find exactly where the sound is coming from! :censored: It's an intermittent problem that I've had happen twice already in about 2,000 miles. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but to me it sounds like a squeaky belt. In high school I had a 1986 Oldsmobile Station Wagon with 200,000 miles that would make a very similar sound, but only during cold weather, etc. It kind of sucks to spend almost $40,000 on a new vehicle only to have it pull up to stoplights and parking spaces sounding exactly like the old beater surf-wagon I had back in high-school. The squeak really is that loud! It's annoying as hell... Has anyone had a this issue or know what the possible cause could be? Help is very much appreciated!!

(Btw, I'm making this new thread because the similar topics I was reading on this forum related to similar issues were either not happening in quite the same circumstances, happening to older 1st Gen models, or they were not Diesels. I figured that could make a difference in the potential causes or know issues and I wanted to make sure to provide as much info both for those offering help and those that might experience the problem down the road. If someone has already posted a topic on this, sorry! I'm new here and I couldn't find exactly the same issue in the search results)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just had the same issue fixed at the dealer. Service manager said it was the output seal from the TC just needing lubrication. It was in the back bay all of 5 minutes. Without sliding under the truck myself I can't confirm the work so I'll take his word.

My squeak started after a weekend wheeling so I imagine the output seal got some debris in it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Check your alternator pulley for leaking. My truck made a similar noise and it just so happened right after I had read on this forum about the leaking pulley and low and behold, my pulley was slinging oil. Once dealer replaced alternator, noise went away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had the same issue fixed at the dealer. Service manager said it was the output seal from the TC just needing lubrication.
This is exactly what the issue was. Only difference for me was that they lubricated the seal to make sure that was the issue. When it stopped the noise, the knew that was the problem and replaced the whole seal (at least that's what they told me and what they put on the service order.) Fortunately the dealer covered it under warranty. They did have to keep it overnight though. My fault for bringing it in after work I suppose...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey fellas I have 2018 Canyon Denali v6 gas engine with 8k miles on it noticed this squeak at low acceleration and idle. Has anyone else experienced this issue? It sounds like maybe a dry pulley or alternator?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just had the same issue fixed at the dealer. Service manager said it was the output seal from the TC just needing lubrication. It was in the back bay all of 5 minutes. Without sliding under the truck myself I can't confirm the work so I'll take his word.

My squeak started after a weekend wheeling so I imagine the output seal got some debris in it.

i fixed the same issue on our truck by spraying a ton of lube up behind the trans output seal.
ours gets this every so often toward the end of the summer (a lot of boat launching) so i imagine a similar failure as after wheeling where the seal might pack with dirt or get rinsed driving through water.

id hope putting in a new seal would fix this, assuming theyve done a redesign, but for me so far spraying it down every now and then during the drier months isnt too big of a hassle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts