Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2016 Canyon V6 that has been flawless for the first 82K miles. 6 months ago (May 2020) my temperature light came on just as I was pulling into my driveway... the engine was shut down immediately. Had to put about 2/3 gallon of Dex Coolant into the system to bring it up to full.
All has been fine until last week (92K miles) when I noticed the fan was running after I shut off the engine. Found the temp gauge about 15-20 degrees higher than usual (no light). Needed to add about 1/2 gallon of coolant to bring it up to full.
No visible leak anywhere in the system...

Have I developed an internal leak somewhere in the engine? Is there a way to check for that?

I'm seriously thinking of getting a new one next year... was hoping to wait until I had 110k miles and maybe be able to get a 2022 model year (last chance to get a V6, not convinced that the 4cyl turbo that will be the only choice for 2023 will have the same lifespan). Should I be thinking of getting rid of this one before things get worse and did I do something wrong because this issue doesn't seem to be a common occurrence or concern within this forum. I change oil religiously every 5,000 miles with Mobil 1 and I do most of my driving around town with very very little towing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've got a 2016 Canyon V6 that has been flawless for the first 82K miles. 6 months ago (May 2020) my temperature light came on just as I was pulling into my driveway... the engine was shut down immediately. Had to put about 2/3 gallon of Dex Coolant into the system to bring it up to full.
All has been fine until last week (92K miles) when I noticed the fan was running after I shut off the engine. Found the temp gauge about 15-20 degrees higher than usual (no light). Needed to add about 1/2 gallon of coolant to bring it up to full.

Have I developed an internal leak somewhere in the engine? Is there a way to check for that?

I'm seriously thinking of getting a new one next year... was hoping to wait until I had 110k miles and maybe be able to get a 2022 model year (last chance to get a V6, not convinced that the 4cyl turbo that will be the only choice for 2023 will have the same lifespan). Should I be thinking of getting rid of this one before things get worse and did I do something wrong because this issue doesn't seem to be a common occurrence or concern within this forum. I change oil religiously every 5,000 miles with Mobil 1 and I do most of my driving around town with very very little towing.
Could be a head gasket problem.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,788 Posts

My guess would be it has a small leak. A head gasket(internal leak) is possible but less likely. All you can do is be sure it is full and watch it carefully for a leak or have someone pressure test it.
What I would do is make sure it is full, wash the engine really well with water(to wash away spilled coolant). Drive it a while to dry it off then look very carefully for leaks. Coolant stinks a lot so one can usually smell it even if you don't see it right away.
If you are the trade it in kind of guy drive the sucker 'till it's time but keep a good eye on the coolant level. If you never find the leak or it doesn't get worse, so be it and trade it.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Pressurizing the system can help find an external leak and pressure checkers using your bicycle pump are pretty inexpensive. Take care to not exceed the recommended pressure! Internal leaks are more difficult to find. Is your oil level changing and/or does the oil look milky? That would point to a head gasket or less likely, cracked head/block scenario. Intake manifold and head gasket leaks that lead to a combustion chamber can be more difficult to detect but sometimes you can tell by the exhaust. Head gasket leaks can be checked for via compression check, provided rings and valves are good.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you haven't, check under floor mat for wetness from heater core leak.
If you have no external leaking, as others have said, head gasket or intake gasket

1 - 6 of 6 Posts