Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I've been lurking around the forum for a while I became interested in the Colorado when they introduced the duramax engine. I looked into getting one but couldn't make a deal happen when I wanted and I'm glad now because I'm recalling liking the zr2. I just have a couple of questions. First ihas the quality of chevy improved over the years? I've had a couple of chevy and gmc trucks in the past and they seem to just start falling apart after a couple of years. I just got rid of my 2005 Tacoma that was a great truck and hardly had any issues. I looked into a new Tacoma but don't like the engine and tranny. Second thing is the v6 motor in these trucks is it like the tacomas they make all there power up top? If so that's not what I'm interested in. And the diesels are they reliable I've seen a few stories on here with trucks getting stranded and what not I know not to believe everything you read but... I'm really leaning towards the diesel just looking to get opinions. Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
I personally like the gas simply because there arent many diesel stations where I commute. As for the stated problems with the diesels, like any vehicles, there are hiccups. But from what Ive read here, none of the diesel owners would swap back to gas as the problems have been few and far between.

As for your other statement about GM in general..... your on a GM forum so naturally we are biased towards them. I tell everyone that asks would I buy mine again....and I never hesitate to blurt out "YES"

Reactions: Polax

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The diesel is a unique package, at least here in N. America, it is the only non humongous diesel pickup on the market and as a result, it is just plain cool.

The diesel is not a drag racer, but it pulls like a moose, clatters like a Kenworth, and gets better than 30 mpg all day long when allowed to stretch it's legs. Like the bad ass Gatling gun in the A-10 Warthog, which literally had a plane built around it, the 2.8L diesel engine needed a truck built around it. The 2nd gen Twins package was designed from the beginning to accommodate the extra weight of the diesel engine, and they are perfect for it. The V6 is fast and it's 8 speed transmission is sweet, you won't go wrong with that, but the diesel puts out an effortless and relaxed vibe for those who appreciate it. It is a for real but shrunken truck engine.

In the end, the diesel is particularly good for open road driving. It gets in 6th gear and stays there, humming along at 1,800 to 2,000ish rpm, pretty much no matter what, throbbing along in a relaxed way and getting ridiculous fuel economy. Put a load on it with an appropriate sized travel trailer and the diesel really shines. The quick revving and powerful V6 with it's 8 speed is gonna be better in town stoplight to stoplight, and for sportingly hauling ass. Apples to apples, I do think GM's new V6 and 8 speed trans combo soundly thumps the new Taco into submission, no contest.

Honestly evaluate your use and wallet, and buy accordingly. These really are some sweet trucks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The diesel is a unique package, at least here in N. America, it is the only non humongous diesel pickup on the market and as a result, it is just plain cool.

The diesel is not a drag racer, but it pulls like a moose, clatters like a Kenworth, and gets better than 30 mpg all day long when allowed to stretch it's legs. Like the bad ass Gatling gun in the A-10 Warthog, which literally had a plane built around it, the 2.8L diesel engine needed a truck built around it. The 2nd gen Twins package was designed from the beginning to accommodate the extra weight of the diesel engine, and they are perfect for it. The V6 is fast and it's 8 speed transmission is sweet, you won't go wrong with that, but the diesel puts out an effortless and relaxed vibe for those who appreciate it. It is a for real but shrunken truck engine.

In the end, the diesel is particularly good for open road driving. It gets in 6th gear and stays there, humming along at 1,800 to 2,000ish rpm, pretty much no matter what, throbbing along in a relaxed way and getting ridiculous fuel economy. Put a load on it with an appropriate sized travel trailer and the diesel really shines. The quick revving and powerful V6 with it's 8 speed is gonna be better in town stoplight to stoplight. Evaluate your use and wallet, and buy accordingly...
What he said, closing in on 30k in less than a year,I love my diesel and It is cool!!.
Stan

·
Registered
263 Posts
My truck is 11 months old, and just turned 38,000 miles. I love the diesel so far, it tows nice and hasn't left me stranded yet. I did have an emissions problem about 14,000 miles ago but it's been good ever since. Mine is a 16, so I expected some first year hiccups. This is also my first diesel vehicle, so I am still learning as I go. I do feel the quality of gm vehicles has risen greatly since the 80's, good luck on your search for your dream zr2. You'll love whatever you get I am sure of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys definitely leaning more towards the diesel for sure. It will be my first diesel so there will be a learning curve. On top of being a daily and commenting to work about 50 miles round trip a day I would be using it to tow a bay boat and a Polaris RZR I have. My brother has a new Tacoma and I just hate how you have to rev it out to get it moving. I test drove a regular Colorado z71 diesel about 8 months ago and I liked the motor but I definitely want to drive both. Dealers around me have a lot of the v6 zr2's but hard to find a diesel one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am LOVING my ZR2 deisel so far. I drove from Denver to Salt Lake today through the hill country in northern CO. As mentioned below it just hums along without even trying. Just set the cruise and you forget you're even going up hill. Kansas is the only state I could use my cruise control in my 4 runner:)

The deisel lag is a pain sometimes and you have to plan on the lag when quickly jumping into traffic. No big deal for me though.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I am LOVING my ZR2 deisel so far. I drove from Denver to Salt Lake today through the hill country in northern CO. As mentioned below it just hums along without even trying. Just set the cruise and you forget you're even going up hill. Kansas is the only state I could use my cruise control in my 4 runner:)

The diesel lag is a pain sometimes and you have to plan on the lag when quickly jumping into traffic. No big deal for me though.
I had my truck for awhile before noticing the lag from a stop, but it is there if you are in a big hurry, which is an unfortunate time for it to show up. Old habits die hard - it wants the throttle rolled in from a stop, not stabbed hard. A few times I was in a hurry and punched it from a stop sign and got the lag and then hit response, all this with a Pedal Commander. I think this has to do with emissions related ECU programming. It is common for diesels to be set up "soft" on initial throttle. A friend's monsterous 6.7L Ford Powerstroke diesel, which can hardly be accused of lacking power, is this way too. Cool side note, my friend with the 6.7 drove my Canyon and really liked it.

One time I was going down an onramp and aggressively rolled it on at about 40 mph and was surprised how hard my diesel pulled, so, digging that action, I stayed in it to 80 mph. My kid was with me and commented "pretty sporty Dad!" :laugh: If the ECU feels like giving you the goods, there are some goods to be given. My '14 Camry was this way too. I think it is just a modern car fly by wire thing these days and it can be frustrating at times. I have a 1000cc sport bike and love the fact that it is a simple beast that hauls ass every time you ask it to. There is no "interpreting" by an ECU. The bike will readily put you on your ass if you ride it stupidly. I rather enjoy that about it.

Back to our diesels, I do find using cruise on the open road is more efficient than I can be with my foot. The diesel is an amazing highway powertrain.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The best part of the diesel.......you can make it even better. Mine is making over 250 HP and almost 500 lb./ft. of torque. I was disappointed when I test drove the V6 and felt it was simply just not enough motor. With a naturally aspirated motor you are pretty much stuck with it unless you want to bolt on a supercharger. This truck flat out rips now, and I can smoke the tires down from a stop. So much fun to drive and I'm still getting 30 mpg city, which is crazy.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Wait, you had throttle lag with a PC? I'm kind of reconsidering getting one if that lag is still around.
Ya, you can still experience lag from a stop if you give it a lot of throttle all at once. The PC does make it as responsive as you want in ordinary driving though. Instead of a dead feeling of "mush" at the pedal, you can set it to respond to your liking, which is nice. The PC is not magic, but it does make the truck more enjoyable to drive and it is a snap to install. I am very happy with mine.

The best part of the diesel.......you can make it even better. Mine is making over 250 HP and almost 500 lb./ft. of torque. I was disappointed when I test drove the V6 and felt it was simply just not enough motor. With a naturally aspirated motor you are pretty much stuck with it unless you want to bolt on a supercharger. This truck flat out rips now, and I can smoke the tires down from a stop. So much fun to drive and I'm still getting 30 mpg city, which is crazy.
Amazing what optimizing a diesel's combustion for efficiency and power instead of meeting super low NOx emissions standards can do.

Reactions: NormWild

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys and confirming that the diesel is the right choice for me. I know what you guys are talking about with the throttle response I have a 2016 mustang gt right now and the fly by wire is the same way car feels dead until your into the peddal pretty far. I hate all the new fly by wire kills throttle response on everything now a days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.