Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2016 Colorado Crew Cab, Short Box LT 4WD, V6, with Tow Package. I'm interested in getting a Travel Trailer. I know I can pull up to 7000 lbs but feel uneasy pulling that much with mid-size truck. I would like your advice on what I can tow. Please include your make of Travel Trailer and Model number so I can compare and look up specs. Also I think I the mirrors will work since you can adjust them out to see around an 8' foot wide trailer. I will be using the Equalizer hitch system. Thanks for you help. PS. Just joined and a first time Colorado owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same exact truck I tow a heartland wilderness 2750rl.

https://www.heartlandrvs.com/brands/lightweight/wilderness/wd-2750-rl

Stock mirrors will not work not even close. Get the clearview tow mirrors.
Thanks CPTT.... I looked on the website for Clearview mirrors and it looks like they are not available for our truck. I submitted a request for info on that to them. How did you get their mirrors? Do you tow across country? If so, how does the truck handle on inclines..etc. What kind of gas mileage do you get. Looks like your Travel Trailer weight is at your max, I don't plan on getting a TT that long. But again thanks for your reply. :) PS. I will be a first-time RV-er too. Do you use wireless lane-change/backup cameras? Looking for info on those also.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Clearview is an Australian company. They make mirrors for the Holden Colorado which the aus version of our truck. If you contact them they well sell them to you. Search the forum for tow mirrors there is a big thread on them.

I live in va and have towed to Ohio a few times and to Florida once. I don’t do too bad in PA in the mountains. My mileage is about 9 when towing. That’s the gvwr is 6900 I’m at least 900# under that. I don’t use a camera. If I were to do it over again I myself would get a 21 - 24 foot tt. I have the Reese pro hitch and love it. There are tons out there as far as hitches. Sway control is the biggest thing. The shorter wheel base makes the effects of a truck or other large vehicle very noticeable. If you are just starting out I would look for a 3 to 4000 pound trailer. Maybe even something like an rpod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2015 Rockwood ulta lite 2502S... Dry weight is 4250 tongue is 410... it is 25' long with one slide.
Check it out on NADA.com
2015 Rockwood Mini Lite Series M-2502KS Specs and Standard Equipment | NADAguides
mine is a little different than this one as it has only the sofa slide... no kitchen slide.

I have the miniduramax and it tows great... i get about 17-19 mpg towing and the exhaust brake is amazing.
I have clip on tow mirrors because i could not get in my garage with the clearviews . I have Reese leveler with
sway control. I would not feel comfortable with a longer trailer.. I have looked at Scamp 5th wheels but they
don't have a slide... they would tow great...
happy trails.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey everyone. Will be my first time towing a travel trailer next summer. The trailer is a 24' 3000lb viking saga.

Now my questions are should I get some tow mirrors?

What about hitches, I currently have a class 2 6000lb drop hitch that I use for a small 8' utility trailer.

The rental place has a wireless brake controller for the trailer. I just want to make sure I'm all setup for our 4000km road trip next summer.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just brought home a Winnebago Micro Mini 2108DS (3900 lbs.), and equalizer hitch. I have a Z71, four door cab, short bed, tow package. I've only pulled it 45 miles so far but the truck did a great job (using trailer mode) and it was quite hilly most of the way home.

·
Registered
456 Posts
CPTT, did you install the Clearview Mirrors yourself or have someone do it. Looks like you have to take the door panel off to access. thx
Yes, I did it myself. Took about 2 hours (Which is 2 hours less than taking the air damn off). It's not that hard there are like 6 or 8 bolts on the door panel and a few clips and a bundle of wires. You just have to take it easy. There are a few videos on youtube.com.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks CPTT for your replies. You said your truck is just like mine, so I assume your stock mirrors were heated. Did the Clearview mirrors also have this component of heated mirrors? Also I see you can buy the option of side mounted turning signal on the mirrors. did you get that option, if so was there and added wire plug to run for it to access the trucks turn signal component? Thanks for your patience as I'm trying to get everything researched before I go buy my TT and start camping. :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks CPTT for your replies. You said your truck is just like mine, so I assume your stock mirrors were heated. Did the Clearview mirrors also have this component of heated mirrors? Also I see you can buy the option of side mounted turning signal on the mirrors. did you get that option, if so was there and added wire plug to run for it to access the trucks turn signal component? Thanks for your patience as I'm trying to get everything researched before I go buy my TT and start camping. :)
Yes, my stock mirrors were heated (LOL I didn't know that). I didn't have the blinker option on the mirrors when I purchased them. I have seen some people on here have them. I am not sure what is involved in hooking up the blinker.

Hey, we are all here to help each other out. Also if you are on facebook look up some of the RV groups. There are a ton of helpful people there as well for more RV specific questions. I will warn you, there are guys in those groups that sware you can't tow a damn thing unless you have a 1 ton dually with airbags. I have seen guys tell someone they need a 3/4 ton diesel to tow a 24' TT that weighed under 5k#.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.