Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased new 2017 Colorado. Have been trying to get snow tires. Called a bunch of shops, looking for Micheline lAttitude x ice 2 or Bridgestone blizzard dm-v2. Everyone says out of stock, or they aren’t made In my size. I have 255/65 17 on now. Shops have suggested some other tires, or putting a different size tire on my rims. Or buying new rims, which isn’t an option after big down payment on new truck. But I do want the best tires for icy road conditions here in Fort McMurray Alberta. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Purchased new 2017 Colorado. Have been trying to get snow tires. Called a bunch of shops, looking for Micheline lAttitude x ice 2 or Bridgestone blizzard dm-v2. Everyone says out of stock, or they aren’t made In my size. I have 255/65 17 on now. Shops have suggested some other tires, or putting a different size tire on my rims. Or buying new rims, which isn’t an option after big down payment on new truck. But I do want the best tires for icy road conditions here in Fort McMurray Alberta. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Just throwing out an option to you if you where to go with the Bilstein 5100 and get 2 inches of lift you could run a 265 70 17 you can also go the cheaper route and buy the Rough Country 2 inch leveling kit however the ride quality won't be quite as good. I for one am running the 5100 on my truck and after a few months of use it was probably the best money I've spent to date just food for thought

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No prob. It was good to see comparison.

The tires one shop is recommending is a Hankook I pike. Anyone have any icy road experience with these? Also, they are studdable. I wasn’t going to stud, as I found the studs I had on previous vehicle (ford ranger) didn’t improve traction at all. Slid all over road. But that was only 2wd, this Colorado is my first 4wd. Not sure if studs would help or hinder...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 is a snow-rated all terrain tire in your size, but maybe you want a pure snow tire. I used Yokohamas for many years on my previous truck and was satisfied with them. I haven't used this model, but will probably get it when I need them.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Check the PMC tire website. They have a ton of winter tires and IIRC they do sell Michelin. They are located in QC and have free shipping within Canada. If you're going for an all winter tire I would get the Michelin X-Ice Xi3's as my first choice if you can find them in your size, and my second choice would be the Attitude X-Ice 2's. I've got the X-Ice Xi3's on 3 of my cars and they are by far the best winter tire I've ever used.

·
Registered
285 Posts
FWIW I'm in Toronto and went with Cooper A/Tw from Canadian Tire. I got them on sale. They're rated as proper winter tires but are durable enough to run all year. Very positive reviews, but I haven't had a winter on them yet. Great so far.

The 255/65R17 is an oddball size in the OEM lineup but for winter tires might be good if you can get them. Narrower the better for winter is the old adage, but 1cm isn't going to change much.

265/65R17 would be a more typical size to find I think. I added the Bilstein 5100's at full lift (2" front) to my Canyon and put 265/70R17 Coopers on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Yokohama IceGuard is more a pure winter tire, but not available in the exact size:

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/iceguard-ig51v

Since my truck came with 18 inch tire, I bought a set of rim and Yoko Ice Guard in 17 inch size. No difference in the size since the wall is thicker.

Love the quietness on these tire. Excellent traction.

In Québec with the black friday sale in november it was about 950$ pneuarabais.com I just had to put them on. There were no TPMS.

That day, I've bought the truck buy the phone and internet. After that, the tire. It was my second most expensive day of my life!

·
Registered
285 Posts
BTW - you mention not wanting to buy new rims, so you're planning on having the tires changed out 2x every year?

That's going to run a good $200 per year just to change tires on the stock rims. You can get a set of OEM rims for your truck for about $400-$500 on Kijiji. Install your winters on them and then just switch the wheels out yourself or at least it will cost $80 per year for 2 wheel swaps vs. $200 for tire mounting twice annually.

You can also take advantage of well timed maintenance as well (brake jobs, oil changes etc.) when the truck is up in the air and perhaps the dealer will swap the wheels for free.

I didn't want to store a 2nd set of rather large wheels (I live in Toronto with very limited space) and didn't want the hassle of swapping the wheels out twice a year, so I went with the Cooper A/Tw's. Paid $700 taxes-in at Canadian Tire when they were on sale not long ago.

Reactions: weasel1

·
Registered
72 Posts
245/70/17, slightly narrower (better for snow), same height as the stockers and way more options for snows in that tire size.

i think you're on the right track going with dedicated snows up in ft. mac.

·
Registered
916 Posts
245/70/17, slightly narrower (better for snow), same height as the stockers and way more options for snows in that tire size.
That's what I'm planning to do when I get around to it. I don't care for the trend of tires getting wider and profiles getting lower.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.