Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my eyes on a Canyon SLT Crew Cab long box for a long time now. I just now got the "Well Ok Then" from the wife so it's a go. I just joined this forum and this is my first post.
I was hoping someone can help me out with a few questions I have. First question is why is it so damn hard to find an SLT Crew Cab long box? The bed is only a foot longer and would be my choice.
After giving me the OK to by a truck, my wife would be pissed at me if we couldn't get some things in the box. Why are they not as popular? There isn't one in a 100 mile radius of Omaha Ne,
where there are a ton of short boxes. I don't get it, is it because of looks or drivability, parking?

I have been reading through this forum and my other question is Does Laura GMC move off the price they have listed on their website? Will they negotiate off the listed price?
I may hold off until later in the year- will have a hard time waiting that long though.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Don't settle. Get the long box for sure. I would definitely not be happy with a short box.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Welcome to this forum and I guess GM doesn't sell as many long boxes. The same goes for the extended cabs. The most popular selling truck is the crew cab short box. That's why so many dealers have a lot of them. I guess you have to shop around. On this website, there hasn't been any special problems with the crew cab long box, just not as many people want them. Good luck with finding your new truck.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have the long box in my extended cab because I wanted the length so plywood and 2 X 4's don't hang out any farther than they would with a short box. The truck is the same length as the crew cab with the short box in which either would just fit in my garage. The crew cab with the extended box would not, and would be harder to park in some areas. Now that is my opinion about the boxes. I am not trying to push you into an extended cab as I do not have kids living at home any more so it is just me and the girlfriend. I looked at the crew cab and knew my tall grown kids would not have been able to sit very well back there so that eliminated the crew. But I agree with you about the longer box if parking in a garage is not an issue.

·
Registered
487 Posts
As mentioned, crews with short boxes are the top seller. They aren't bought at "working" vehicles anymore, but for lifestyles.

My last truck was a full size with an 8' long box, and while it was convinent for sheets of plywood or long 2x4s for home projects, the 6-2" "long bed" of the Colorado is a good, usable size. I knew I was going to want a tool box for all the gear I carry and a 5' box with a bed toolbox would have made for a mostly unusable bed size.
Search outside 100miles and see what's out there. Might get a better deal and a road trip out of it. Some big dealers have a great internet sales department and price quite low to win people over. My friend did that with his BRZ, flew out to Colorado from Seattle and had a great roadtrip back. And saved a few grand off.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a 2016 CC LB SLT and am very happy with it. I find the extra bed space is useful for the typical homeowner stuff. I also had trouble finding one locally and had to drive 100 miles to get it. It may be true that dealers do not order as many CC LBs but it also seemed that they sold as soon as they hit the lot. Keep looking and hold out for what you want.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had my eyes on a Canyon SLT Crew Cab long box for a long time now. I just now got the "Well Ok Then" from the wife so it's a go. I just joined this forum and this is my first post.
I was hoping someone can help me out with a few questions I have. First question is why is it so damn hard to find an SLT Crew Cab long box? The bed is only a foot longer and would be my choice.
After giving me the OK to by a truck, my wife would be pissed at me if we couldn't get some things in the box. Why are they not as popular? There isn't one in a 100 mile radius of Omaha Ne,
where there are a ton of short boxes. I don't get it, is it because of looks or drivability, parking?

I have been reading through this forum and my other question is Does Laura GMC move off the price they have listed on their website? Will they negotiate off the listed price?
I may hold off until later in the year- will have a hard time waiting that long though.

Thanks
I've read on other GMC forums that Laura does come off the listed price. Guys are getting fully loaded GMC Sierra's for 12-15k off of sticker. Although, I am not sure what all rebates and things they offer to get that deal.. Probably have to go through GM Financial at some ridiculous rate, but just re-finance when you get your statement. Doubt you'd get that much off a Colorado/Canyon, but it sounds like they price them to move.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I think the crew cab long box goes against the idea of the truck being mid sized which makes the short box just right for many. That said, you will alway hear from the long box guys who say their trucks are more useful and they are. Then there are the diesel guys like me. I would gladly have an SLT extended cab long box diesel but they won't build me one.

Reactions: Fasted58

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
To add, that extra 12" makes the difference as to whether it will fit in a garage or not. I have 7" left over with the short bed.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I have a Canyon diesel SLT crew cab long box. Love the longer bed on my truck as I ride dirt bikes and can fit two bikes and my gear in it. The extra foot of wheelbase definitely makes my truck feel less nimble than a short bed crew cab version I drove, but in return it feels a bit more "truck like" if that makes sense. The crew cab long box is a rare bird, especially if you want it with a diesel and 4WD.

I got my truck from Laura Buick/GMC in Collinnsville IL on a fly and buy. The dealer is huge and has more than 300 Canyons on it's lot. My truck, in Bronze Alloy, was the only one they had in the configuration I wanted. Put a price watch on the truck for awhile, eventually bought from them and paid about 8K less than Denver dealers wanted, in likely part because I would have had to order my truck. Check Laura out. Frontier flies to St. Louis cheap ($45 for me from Denver) and Laura will pick you up at the airport.

Per the Laura site, GM has a $750 incentive going on now for Canyons in addition to Laura's discount off MSRP. I suspect prices will get better late in the year as the '18s come in. I got a significantly better deal than currently offered in March of this year too. To really score on these, you have to be flexible on when you buy, and ready to move quickly. I paid 36.5K with doc fee (IL temp tag) and out the door for my 44.5K MSRP truck, paid tax, title and license after I drove home to Colorado. I put down a deposit and had to haul ass to Laura to obtain this deal, with 2 days notice though.

FWIW, while it is obviously lower and narrower than my buddy's Tundra SR5, my truck is only about 8" shorter. It is pretty long. It still drives like a mid sized SUV compared to that behemoth though. Have also had quite a bit of bystander interest in my truck, people see it and want to know about it, being a jumbo mid sized truck with a diesel and all. You simply do not see these trucks in the crew/long box combo very often. I rather enjoy that, makes the truck feel special. It really is special too - a "right size" (in my opinion of course) truck that gets really good fuel economy and make cool diesel noises. Regardless of which powertrain you choose, the SLT package is really sweet and worth the extra money.

Reactions: 404 Not Found

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought my CCSB Canyon Denali from Laura. They didn't budge a whole lot off their number but I did get them to come up on my trade. Also, was able to get them to negotiate a bit on a couple of accessories. Their numbers on their website are real and pretty darn good. They beat my local dealer by $4k on the exact same truck.

Reactions: Duken4evr

·
Registered
383 Posts

Thanks
Have you headed out the door yet? Get the truck before she has a chance to say no. Thats what I did in March of last year been happy ever since.

·
Registered
721 Posts
To add, that extra 12" makes the difference as to whether it will fit in a garage or not. I have 7" left over with the short bed.
If you ask my wife, a couple of inches make all the difference.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
I had the 1st Gen Colorado which had a 5 foot bed. It worked and never gave me any issues. When I saw the 2nd Gens, the extra foot did make a big difference to me and Id never go back.

As has been said...DONT SETTLE. It is time where you can start ordering the 2018s so, if you cant find exactly what your looking for, order it. Trust me, the wait will be worth it.

Reactions: JBT

·
Registered
721 Posts
And you'll get heated mirrors if you get the '18.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.