Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the title says... i have a 5 speed and the stock shift lever is inside a nasty fake leather bag that goes all the way to the top.... any one have something nicer or know where i can get something like that?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
You'd have to get it custom.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wierd eh? you can get the most random aftermarket goodies for these trucks, but everyone's just living with these cheezy vinyl tents on their gearshifts? you can get a hurst shifter for an S10 but i saw nothing for colorados...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Even changing the shift knob is ridiculous. You'd think you could just twist it off, but its a long metal piece with the knob glued on top. I just unscrewed that metal piece, which leaves the shifter incredibly low, and then just put a screw on knob on top.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone got a shop manual for these things? you can get a generic hurst stick that attaches with two bolts at the bottom that looks like it might be a bit of an 'industry standard'. if that was the case you could get a hurst stick and any knob you wanted...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool! that's interesting information too... you can get hurst stuff for s10/s15's so you'd almost think that if shifters are s15/colorado swappable that the aftermarket s15 stuff would work too... lookin' forward to pics if you can get 'em...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I had to make some alterations to get the shifter lever to fit. The S-series trucks have a threaded shaft that the shift lever screws onto. The Colorado has a shaft with a flat on one side and the lever is held on with a set screw. I had to drill out the threads in the end of the lever and add a tapped hole in the side for a set screw.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Thanks, that didn't sound gay at all. LOL
To make that work you would have to drill thru the shaft sticking out of the transmission to bolt the lever on. I'd be leary about drilling the shaft and weakening it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so you figure the shaft's not thick enough? you know, to drill? (this keeps getting gayer!) there must be one hole in it already?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Maybe you could make an adapter that would fasten to the shaft with a set screw like the factory lever and allow the Hurst lever to bolt to the adapter. It would basicly be a piece of square stock with a hole through it lengthways big enough to slide over the shaft. Then it would have 3 tapped holes from the side through to the center hole. 1 would be for a set screw and the other 2 would be to bolt on the lever.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Not sure, but something the size of a gear shifter won't make for a real good cooler...at least the drink would be right there at your fingertips...

personally, i'd love to have a beer can on top of the shifter...

"Officer, I swear it's JUST the SHIFTER!!!"

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
swampfox... you been into your cooler already tonight! good one!

adam, yeah, i think that's the solution... i'll look into that and keep you posted!

·
Registered
651 Posts
why yes I have... :) I am sure you'll come up w/ something ... good luck w/ it!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You guy's need to stop, ROFLMAO :lol: This thread just dosent sound right,

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just a suggestion I know this is what worked well with the S10, When you put a body lift on and dont want to drop your shifter 2" you can get a stick out of a 97ish era Silverado and it worked perfectly, it kept the stock look. I think the factory one in ours looks like a$$ IMO, what does the H3 offer?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts