Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
James Monahan:

Email-*[email protected]
Voice/Text 732.690.6443

He is in New Jersey so tomorrow would be better to text/call I think. He can get busy so you may not get an immediate response.

He is also on Facebook in the numerous colorado/canyon FB groups as well

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Agreed... with a stock intake(except for aem dryflow filter and tube instead of the resonator box) and ported throttle body, stock exhaust, a tune got me +28hp on the dyno. Best bang for the buck.

They say in California you can pass emissions with just the secondary cat but I didn't want to risk it. A "cold air" intake is just just for looks IMO, not worth the money.
What aspects of the PCM did they tune to yield that kind of power? Is it the 2.9 you did that to or something else? Would what you did work for a 2.9?

·
Registered
351 Posts
What aspects of the PCM did they tune to yield that kind of power? Is it the 2.9 you did that to or something else? Would what you did work for a 2.9?
Don't think any tuner that has spent hours and money on a Dyno to find the best Tune for a giving engine is going to just tell you what hes changing that's kind of a trade secret they have a tune already saved for each engine its not a one tune fits all
You send them your ECM & tell them your vehicle info like year engine size auto or manual they load there data for your engine & send back to you Simple !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Don't think any tuner that has spent hours and money on a Dyno to find the best Tune for a giving engine is going to just tell you what hes changing they have a tune already saved for each engine you send them your ECM & tell them your vehicle info like year engine size auto or manual they load there data & send back to you Simple !
Is it common that most places would have a tune for such an engine? I know its more common that mainstream engines like the LS would have a tune by everyone, but what tuners would likely have one for a more uncommon motor? would that kind of tune be able to compensate for the exhaust and intake I have or not so much? i apologize for all the noob like questions, new to tuning and have heard many contradicting things for various sources so far

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is it common that most places would have a tune for such an engine? I know its more common that mainstream engines like the LS would have a tune by everyone, but what tuners would likely have one for a more uncommon motor? would that kind of tune be able to compensate for the exhaust and intake I have or not so much? i apologize for all the noob like questions, new to tuning and have heard many contradicting things for various sources so far
NO not every tuner will have a tune for every engine that's why you have to find one that does your Vehicle Like James Monahan as GregDAP posted he does do Colorado engines & as for the intake & exhaust you need to connect James & tell him what you have & he can answer all your questions .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
NO not every tuner will have a tune for every engine that's why you have to find one that does your Vehicle Like James Monahan as GregDAP posted he does do Colorado engines & as for the intake & exhaust you need to connect James & tell him what you have & he can answer all your questions .

Great, thanks, do you, or know anyone who may know of other places that do colorado engines? Would like to have some options

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Mine is a 5 cyl 3.7l and was tuned by a guy named justin(Black Bear Performance) here is So Cal. I would not expect the same HP gains from the 2.9l with a tune done by mail. Mine was the first atlas engine Justin ever tuned. He took his time and was surprised at how much HP he was able to free up. The noticeable difference is not so much a HP increase but driveability stuff like quicker and firmer shifts(if it's an auto), no more hesitation when accelerating, decreasing or removing torque management and traction control, ect...

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Great, thanks, do you, or know anyone who may know of other places that do colorado engines? Would like to have some options
For tunes done by mail... Limeswap, Dirty South tuning and PCM of NC and Black Bear Performance are others that do Colorado/canyon

For dyno it would depend on where you are located

·
Registered
351 Posts
Back in the day's when we had carburetors adding a K&N Filter , intake , headers, free flowing exhaust we could change the carb to a bigger one 600 to 750 or change the Fuel Jets to take advance of all those performance parts But Nowadays the carb is a computer so you adding that intake & exhaust your Computer is still set for a Stock intake & a Stock Exhaust so you really didn't gain anything by add those parts because your ECM is not Tuned for them
It just Amazes me How may People just start throwing aftermarket performance parts on modern computer controlled engines and think that's all that's needed & their going to get this extra HP with their ECM still programed for a completely stock engine from the factory But i see it everyday

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Back in the day's when we had carburetors adding a K&N Filter , intake , headers, free flowing exhaust we could change the carb to a bigger one 600 to 750 or change the Fuel Jets to take advance of all those performance parts But Nowadays the carb is a computer so you adding that intake & exhaust your Computer is still set for a Stock intake & a Stock Exhaust so you really didn't gain anything by add those parts because your ECM is not Tuned for them
It just Amazes me How may People just start throwing aftermarket performance parts on modern computer controlled engines and think that's all that's needed & their going to get this extra HP with their ECM still programed for a completely stock engine from the factory But i see it everyday
Believe me when I say i understand that being a semiskilled tech, I know the pcm is like a carb nowadays, and yes people are foolish to throw aftermarket performance stuff on a newer car and expect power, the pcm must be tuned to it, I knew all that going into this, my point is I got the intake, exhaust, headers, ext. and other performance parts with the intent of tuning my computer for them, you have to get all that done Before the tune no? (yes) My reason for this thread is because I am new to tuning modern cars so I want to get as much info as possible first so I dont f**k up my truck or its pcm. Im more knowledgeable when tuning my old school cars and motorcycles, but new computers are new to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Yes It's best to do all your engine and drivetrain mods before getting the pcm tuned, saves the hassle of having to get the pcm tuned again. Some tuners offer free or discounted retunes should you make any modifications after the tune

·
Registered
351 Posts
Believe me when I say i understand that being a semiskilled tech, I know the pcm is like a carb nowadays, and yes people are foolish to throw aftermarket performance stuff on a newer car and expect power, the pcm must be tuned to it, I knew all that going into this, my point is I got the intake, exhaust, headers, ext. and other performance parts with the intent of tuning my computer for them, you have to get all that done Before the tune no? (yes) My reason for this thread is because I am new to tuning modern cars so I want to get as much info as possible first so I dont f**k up my truck or its pcm. Im more knowledgeable when tuning my old school cars and motorcycles, but new computers are new to me.
What i do is look on ebay for a good used computer if you get one from a truck with same Engine & trans & matching numbers on the computer it want need reprogramming to work on your truck But it must match same 2.9 & same trans auto or man if it can from a truck with a 3.7 it will have to be reprogrammed for a 2.9 Now the VIN Number will be different but that's easy to change & i send that one off to get tuned that way if you ever want to put the truck back stock you have the original computer to put back in .
I got a good used computer for my truck off ebay for only $45

Here one from a 2012 with 2.9 but there not showing the Numbers on the computer they have to match your computer
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Colorado-Engine-Computer-Module-ECU-ECM-PCM-OEM-137K-Miles-LKQ-174596701/192794611107?fits=Year:2012|Model:Colorado|Make:Chevrolet&epid=24015317144&hash=item2ce3744da3:g:SisAAOSw~odcQSwN:rk:11:pf:0

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure how much the HP/TQ gain really is for doing a 2.9L tune, but it is not easy by just clicking tabs & jabbing at keys on the number pad. You change one parameter & it might require other areas in the PCM to be refined. Almost seems never ending... If the 2.9L is attached to the 4L60E & you have 4WD, it adds more work since now you'll likely dabble with the TCM.
Be careful to not change parameters in the PC/TC-M that might anger the BCM as I am unaware of a device available to the at home automotive hobbyist for a comparable price & use to what is available for PCM tuning. If you brick the BCM, or any of the modules, you'll likely be at the mercy of a dealership to calibrate a new module to the truck before you'll be able to try at flash tuning again.

·
Registered
678 Posts
agreed with all comments, tune first. just my .02 cents from a guy who has played around with tunes and mods since 2005 for my 3.5L, 3.7L and currently CrewCab 2012 2.9L. i never had enough $$ upfront for all mods at once, so i started out with a tune first then added drop-in filter, then exhaust for the 3.5L and 3.7L. i never had them re-tuned for the new mods and never had problems or issues with over a 100,000 miles combined. with almost 90,000 on my 2.9L, i'm running an 87 mail-order tune for the first couple of years with a stock intake, stock exhaust and recently added James E-Fan, that has immensely helped the little 2.9L rev up fast. if budget is tight, i highly suggest these 2 mods instead of a header

21 - 34 of 34 Posts