Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Im looking to get some more power from my 2012 2.9 i4, ive got a intake on and a higher flow exaust, im looking to do some long tube headers but not really seeing anything on aftermarket sites, anyone know where I could look? Also I know the oem headers contain a cat, this is also a daily driver and I need it to pass emissions, any advice there to pass emissions with headers if I have to remove that cat?

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
I don't know of any company that makes a long tube for the I4. Over The Top Performance(OTTP) makes or made one for the I5. Maybe contact them for a long tube I4.

As far As passing emmsions you will want a pcm tune to shut off the CEL and get the most HP out of the mod and i hear (I have no personal experience) you can pass emmsion here in California with just the second cat as long as it's warmed up and the CEL is shut off. Not sure about other states.
https://www.355nation.net/forum/engines-performance-tech-questions/77481-so-you-looking-header-your-i4-i5-v8.html

·
Registered
158 Posts
about your only choice is this one which should fit with some slight modifications oblong some bolt holes & as GregDap said you have to have the ECM Tuned for it because you will get a CEL Code because of the missing 2nd 02 sensor, you can install the 2nd 02 sensor but its still going to set a code ( catalyst system efficiency below threshold) because there no pre-cat in the Header A couple of 02 extenders may work for helping not set a code .
https://www.ebay.com/p/Maximizer-Header-for-2004-to-2006-Chevrolet-Colorado-2-8l-4cyl-2-4wd/1183014308?iid=232786718557&chn=ps

Long 02 Extender https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-O2-OXYGEN-SENSOR-EXTENDER-SPACER-EXTENSION-M-18-X1-5-HHO-BUNG-2-17-long-US/223130698194?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107095009%26meid%3D307b4c21b31d4de3bddd996027752d24%26pid%3D100040%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D223130659253%26itm%3D223130698194&_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know of any company that makes a long tube for the I4. Over The Top Performance(OTTP) makes or made one for the I5. Maybe contact them for a long tube I4.

As far As passing emmsions you will want a pcm tune to shut off the CEL and get the most HP out of the mod and i hear (I have no personal experience) you can pass emmsion here in California with just the second cat as long as it's warmed up and the CEL is shut off. Not sure about other states.
https://www.355nation.net/forum/engines-performance-tech-questions/77481-so-you-looking-header-your-i4-i5-v8.html
What is the CEL? what about shutting it off will prevent throwing a code if the 02 sensor and cat are removed?

·
Registered
158 Posts
What is the CEL? what about shutting it off will prevent throwing a code if the 02 sensor and cat are removed?
only way to turn off 2nd 02 sensor or disable it you will have to send your ECM (Engine Computer) to a Tuner (ECM TECH ) that has the capability to do so . Or add the 2nd 02 to the header and use some 02 extenders to keep it from setting a Code the extenders move the 02 sensor out of the exhaust stream so it basically fools the Computer that the pre-cat is there & working in spec's 1 extender may work or you may have to use 2

If you delete your pre-cat from your factory manifold your going to have the same problem ! the 2.8 & 3.5 had only 1 upstream 02 sensor so deleting the pre-cat did not set a code .

If your state has some very strict emissions then you will have to put your factory non gutted manifold back on to pass then after passing put the header back on

The Down side is all that money you spent on that intake & Exhaust & More on a Header is not really going to give you that much Real HP You been better off leaving everything stock & sent your ECM off for a Performance Tune

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Combining an exhaust intake and headers along with a performance tune though should yield some decent hp no? Nothing like turbocharging but something noticeable?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Combining an exhaust intake and headers along with a performance tune though should yield some decent hp no? Nothing like turbocharging but something noticeable?
Sure but the performance tune will give you the best bang for your money the intake ,fancy exhaust , header not so much for what they cost its like for every $100 spent you may get 1/2 hp

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Agreed... with a stock intake(except for aem dryflow filter and tube instead of the resonator box) and ported throttle body, stock exhaust, a tune got me +28hp on the dyno. Best bang for the buck.

They say in California you can pass emissions with just the secondary cat but I didn't want to risk it. A "cold air" intake is just just for looks IMO, not worth the money.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Your truck as stock is roughly 185 HP. The mods you are proposing to do might get you in the 200ish HP range at best. Money for performance in your case is definitely by going the tuning route. Just my opinion but Ive done more hotrodding upgrades in my past to know what brings the most bang for the buck. No intake will give you much of anything unless you are dropping a cam in with it, otherwise youll get the better air volume but nothing to take advantage of it. Same goes for the exhaust. GM designs all their vehicles to get the best mileage, not the best performance. Just like the intake alone......all you gain with the new headers is a better sounding truck and a touch of a performance gain but again, without a tune or better engine parts (pistons and/or cam) you are just putting money in and getting nothing realistic in return.

Go for the tune first and foremost.....youll definitely notice a difference with that alone. THEN if you're still not happy then start throwing parts (and money) into it.:wink2:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Another option if you do install a header & don't want to swap it with the factory Manifold everytime to pass emissions or Run the factory manifold Gutted & be 100% sure it will pass you can change the rear Main cat to a much larger more efficient unit designed for a single cat system to handle the extra dirty exhaust

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great advice guys, but I think ill get more serious about doing just a performance tune, a performance tune can be done on a dyno place right?, with they be able to tune to get more hp while still conforming to emissions?

Whats a good reputable place to get a quality tune?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Most of the Performance Tunes, you have to send your ECM off to the Tuner, and your truck may be down while waiting to get it back. PCM of NC, Inc. is one of them. Check their site. 5 star reviews, must be good.

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Yes there are shop that do tuning and have dynos but it depends on where you're located. A dyno tune can be expensive. Usually used by racers and the like.

Another option is an admin on this site named @supermodulation (James Monahan) does tuning via the mail. He will send you a pcm to use, you install it, send him your original pcm, he tunes it and sends it back to you to install, you send him back the loaner pcm. No downtime. Plus James has been tuning these trucks for over a decade.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Yes there are shop but it depends on where you're located. A dyno tune can be expensive.

Another option is an admin on this site named Supermodulation (James Monahan) does tuning via the mail. He will send you a pcm to use, you install it, send him your original pcm, he tunes it and sends it back to you to install, you send him back the loaner pcm. No downtime. Plus James has been tuning these trucks for over a decade.
Indeed...you can't go wrong using him. :wink2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes there are shop that do tuning and have dynos but it depends on where you're located. A dyno tune can be expensive. Usually used by racers and the like.

Another option is an admin on this site named @supermodulation (James Monahan) does tuning via the mail. He will send you a pcm to use, you install it, send him your original pcm, he tunes it and sends it back to you to install, you send him back the loaner pcm. No downtime. Plus James has been tuning these trucks for over a decade.
Would he need the TCM to mod as well or just the PCM?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts