Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long Bed
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New data is out on the longest lasting light duty trucks, based on the % of vehicles hitting 200k miles or more. The truck at number one makes me chuckle a little bit, as they almost never go off-road, pull anything or haul a load in their bed. But there it is, the Honda Ridgeline.

I thought it was good to see the Colorado and Canyon on the list...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Honda Ridgeline? I'm actually considering this for my next car/truck. I say Car/Truck "Cruck" as we all know it's not really a truck. Because of health issues the Ridgeline will be easier to get in/out of. It has a trunk in the back of the bed for groceries. Can haul 4 adults. I know you can get all those in a car/SUV. But did you know you can lay a 4X8 sheet flat in the back? Our twins can't do that. So, for the 2 - 3 times a year I "might" haul a 4X8 I NEED the Ridgeline. Finally, I would never take the Ridgeline off road.

But, I do LOVE my Rado! I drive it off road occasionally. I'm about to hit 50K miles so maybe I'll try for that 200K mark!

Gusto!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ridgeline I'm sure is reliable and this data shows that - as are most Honda's - like my lawnmower! It also sounds like it would serve you very well for what you want it for - no doubt. I just have never been a fan of the styling nor the fact that they call it a "truck", but it has literally no truck "DNA".

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's closer to a minivan with a bed, but the owners I know are very loyal to them (despite my constant ribbing about not being a real truck) and hold on to them for a long time. For the average suburbanite it's probably a better choice at least than a full size. But not my cup of tea and the twins can be had for cheaper in the lower trim levels. Honda dealers don't seem to want deal much off sticker.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's closer to a minivan with a bed, but the owners I know are very loyal to them (despite my constant ribbing about not being a real truck) and hold on to them for a long time. For the average suburbanite it's probably a better choice at least than a full size. But not my cup of tea and the twins can be had for cheaper in the lower trim levels. Honda dealers don't seem to want deal much off sticker.
And when I mention above that the Ridgeline literally has ZERO truck DNA - here is what I mean:

• Front wheel drive
  • No 4WD system - AWD
  • No solid rear axle / leaf springs - independent on front and rear (for your cushy ride)
  • No body on frame - Unibody construction (i.e. car)
  • It literally has a trunk!
  • No lockable diff options
  • Unibody design means the cab and bed are one piece (at least on first gen) - no option for may racks, toppers, covers.etc...
  • Its body design is based on the Honda Pilot - (rolls eye)
And the list could probably keep going. I would have never classified what I describe here as truck - they needed to create some new homogeneous new category of vehicle.

And to top that off - if you go to their most popular forum - users have these types of avatars - I rest my case...

·
Registered
275 Posts
First gen Ridgelines where at least somewhat attractive, second is fugy, Rams are rotted by that mileage and the Toyota's have had an almost complete overhaul when they replaced the frame, LOL!
I love/loved my Colorados!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ya know, I read on a lot of threads and forums comments about this truck or that truck not being a real truck in comparison to another one and it really makes me laugh.

If folks really want to compare themselves to a “real pick-up” you’ll have to go back to the days of 1950s, 60s, and 70s trucks. When solid axles, leaf springs, no a/c and a whole host of other things were commonplace on trucks. Today’s trucks have pretty much zero resemblance to their ancestors. My 1969 Ford F-150 or my dads 1950 Chevy 3100 ride nothing like today’s vehicles. Today’s vehicles have dozens of features not even dreamed of “back in the day”. So when you ask yourself what is a real truck keep in mind that much of that DNA isn’t really desirable anymore.

so I take the view that you look for what you need and get what most closest fills that need (or is the best tradeoff compromise between multiple needs). If I am looking to seriously off road the Colorado doesn’t hold a candle to what you can do with Jeeps. If I want cruising comfort with max towing the big duellies are really sweet. That said, the Colorado’s have their place and fit that niche really well.

so as the saying goes - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So to each his own. I try to appreciate which each brand / type offers and go from there.

Just a few rambling thoughts before I finish my morning coffee ?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Body on frame, solid axles, low range 4 wheel drive, locking diffs... All still very much desired and wanted in today's "trucks".

And I do have one of the types of trucks you mention and it's still my favorite. 77 GMC Stepside with the original motor and tranny, the pure defenition of longevity.... See below... Ridgeline's pull over and let me pass out of respect when I'm driving this baby.... :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bauerman - nice truck! Thanks for posting the pix!
No problem. Love me some square body chev/gmc. My dad bought that new when I was 7, now it's mine, and hopefully some day my son's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Before, i got my new 2020 Colorado, i had a 2010 ridgeline that i got up to 150k miles before trading it in. While i enjoyed the ridgeline, i most definitely enjoy the colorado and having actual 4wd(auto 4wd also!). Chevy dealership was able to give me a better deal for my money, where honda dealership did not want to budge at all. Ridgeline storage capacity was nice, so thats one thing i am still getting used to, but i also just ordered a tonneau cover for long bed, so that will help a bit.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just read that the Toyota Land Cruiser is the most likely to reach 300,000 miles.
Yeah if you go to their site - there a lot of interesting lists - spent a bit of time out there the other day.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I have a hard time believing the Ranger isn't on that list. I have an 89 Ranger with over 200,000 miles and I see ones that are even older than mine with some regularity. I don't even remember the last time I saw a Toyota or Jeep from that era, but there are quite a few Nissans. Did GM make a mid-size back then?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a hard time believing the Ranger isn't on that list. I have an 89 Ranger with over 200,000 miles and I see ones that are even older than mine with some regularity. I don't even remember the last time I saw a Toyota or Jeep from that era, but there are quite a few Nissans. Did GM make a mid-size back then?
If you're talking "mid-size" in the sense of the '89 Ranger, it would be an S-10/S-15.

I still have a '91 S-10, but I stopped using it as a daily driver in 2002, so I never got it up to 200K. I have no doubt it would have made it to 200K if I had needed it to.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Well there is a lot of info left out here.

#1 most Ridgelines just haul bags of mulch from Hone Depot and see little abuse like a Full Size GM truck.

#2 Toyota Tacoma is more a Mall Ride than serious work trucks.

#3 The Chevy and Sierra are showing different numbers but yet are the same truck.

#4 Fords get used up because many are fleet sales.

#5 the present GM mid size truck are still young but with proper care they should get big miles.

Finally The S10 as a Fleet vehicle and private vehicle has a long history of holding up well and high miles. They did have some body rot around the fenders but the frames and cabs held up better than the Taco and Ranger. My uncle has an Isuzu version of the S10 that was built in America by GM. It is near 300,000 miles and still looks and runs well. Just brakes tires and one clutch With a couple tube ups. Cheap to maintain and repair.

One honorable mention is for the Ford SportTrac. I am not a Ford fan but even here in the rust belt we have a ton of these still on the road. Most are still in good shape.

One other factor too is what year you speak of in full size trucks as some were better than others too.

My two S10 and Sonoma both went over 100k miles and the only major issues was some minor rust, one water pump, one AC compressor and a Throttle Position Sensor.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Manyb
It's well known that those fancy GMC trucks are put to more truck-like hard use. They get beaten! :LOL:
Actually many are.

the hardest used are those of Tony Beets on Gold Rush. Bust GMC trucks and Yukons are beat to death and keep on going.

We wore out two plowing snow where I worked both went 200k. Also took out two cars in crashes and they kept going.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts