Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting my BDS lift installed right now and the lift needs a max 4.5" backspacing for a 17" wheel but my fifteen52s are 4.75, so I've got a 3/8" spacer that puts it at 4.375, just enough clearance plus a tiny cushion. So I got a call from the shop today that my wheel studs aren't long enough for my aftermarket wheels with the 3/8" spacers and they need an extra half inch. I went into a bit of a panic since I can't order them and wait a few days, I need them now since the shop has the truck today and tomorrow.

So I spent day scouring the local auto parts stores and came up with a solution. It turns out that the 2016 Ford F-250 uses wheel studs with essentially the same same specs as ours, just .6 in longer. So if you're looking for just a little bit longer studs then you should be able to easily find those at a local auto parts store off the shelf.

I know Dorman doesn't make them for the factory but you'll find them as an OE replacement brand at many auto parts stores:

'16 Chevy Colorado stud specs:
Part #: Dorman 610-434
Head Diameter: 0.82 in. (20.83 mm)
Knurl Diameter: 0.63 in. (16.02 mm)
Shoulder Length: 0.688 in. (17.48 mm)
Thread Size: M14-1.5
Under Head Length: 2.281 In. (57.94 mm)
Thread Length: 1.08 in. (27.43 mm)

'16 Ford F-250 stud specs:
Part #: Dorman 610-509
Head Diameter: 0.79 in. (20.15 mm)
Knurl Diameter: 0.627 in (15.93 mm)
Shoulder Length: 0.675 in (17.15 mm)
Thread Size: M14-1.5
Under Head Length: 2.89 in (73.4 mm)
Thread Length: 1.79 in (45.4 mm)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
@FL8Z71 did that with those spacers, not sure which studs he went with though....

midnight, the threads on those do not look any longer????

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
@FL8Z71 did that with those spacers, not sure which studs he went with though....

Actually after finding out those studs are around $8/ea. I decided to just buy 1" wheel spacers with studs built in. Eventually I'll get a wheel with a +00 offset and ditch the spacers but it's working for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts

It's hard to tell in the photo but the top 1/2 of the threads are ground smooth like the longer stud.
The original specs for the Dorman wheel stud PN# 610-434 at about $3 each with an underhead length of 2.2806. While the longer stud PN# 610-428 at $2 each has an underhead length of 2.5748.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard to tell in the photo but the top 1/2 of the threads are ground smooth like the longer stud.
I think that's the concern. The underhead stud length is longer but the thread length is close to the same, just barely longer (27mm vs 31mm). So even though it's a longer stud it doesn't really give you many more threads for the lug nuts to grab.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think that's the concern. The underhead stud length is longer but the thread length is close to the same, just barely longer (27mm vs 31mm). So even though it's a longer stud it doesn't really give you many more threads for the lug nuts to grab.
I see what you're saying. I guess in my application I only used a 3/8" spacer so the little 1/2 of threads is all I needed. I wish I would have gotten a better photo of them but wasn't expecting to post it online. I tried drawing on the photo to help a bit but I guess if someone is thinking about longer studs they can just pull both parts at the part store and compare. I was looking at ARP at first but 10$ a stud was more than I paid for the spacers :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at ARP at first but 10$ a stud was more than I paid for the spacers :)
Ouch. The f250 studs, which give as half in more threads, are ~$5 /ea from the auto parts stores.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts