Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered a 18 Zr2 with a 6ft bed and wondering how do people load up their 4wheelers.

I have a 17 brute force 750. Buy the spec it's going to be long by few inchs. Is it ok to hang on the gate?

Thing weighs 700lb dry.

Hmm might be to wide to get in. Spec says 44inch but I think it's more then that

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
My plan was to build a frame above the wheel wells to allow the 4 wheeler to get over the humps without crushing it. Then get a set of brackets from DG Manufacturing that support the tailgate so the weight isn't on the tailgate cables. My 4 wheeler weighs in at 830 lbs dry.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool let me know how it goes. I just ordered mine so I have a long wait ahead of me -.-

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a short box Trailboss and load my girlfriends 16 Outlander 570 in the bed without issues. The front tires squeeze past the wheel wells.

I built a picture frame of 2x4's for the wheels to sit on to help take the weight off the tailgate. I towed the below set up 600 miles over July 4th with no issues. AND averaged 17.3 mpg with my Dmax.

I don't have the picture frame installed in the below photos... just doing a test fit to make sure there were no issues with the tailgate interfering when turning.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya that's like a perfect picture cause I'm getting the sport bar too. I measured mine and it's 84x56. Looks by your pic that some of the length would be over hang so it might be close to fitting with the tailgate closed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I forgot to mention, I also built what my buddy and I call a "RAM BOX" (no pun intended) which I place in the front of the bed and run the front atv tires into it. I built it to prevent the atv from going to far forward into the bed and smashing into the rear window or allowing the atv front rack to hit the sports bar.

I strap the atv down using the 4 side rail anchors, pulling the atv forward, into the rambox.

·
Registered
77 Posts
08 Honda Foreman in Extended Cab Long Box

Pic 1: Collie bed is about 4" short. I had 1" clearance in my '89 Dakota with tailgate closed. Hate to leave tailgate down - not sure how to strap it up against atv tires - any suggestions?

Pic 2: ATV tires compress but scuff hard against wheel wells - might place 1 or 2 2X6 planks along wheel wells to help alleviate this - dunno.

Pics 3 and 4: Hated drilling into my brand-new tailgate, but - 3/8" threaded spacers hold the ramps secure while loading. You can see the holes in Pic 1. Oh, and the ramp tongue is coated with - you guessed it - Plasti-Dip!

Doesn't show in the pics, but the lower part of tailgate (and door sills) have 3M Clear Paint Protection Film, after reading on this forum - thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
My harbor freight ramp has small chains that hook into the hole on the side of the tailgate, pic 1. But haven't tried the atv in the truck yet. What is the measurement between the wheel wells on these trucks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hate to leave tailgate down - not sure how to strap it up against atv tires - any suggestions?
My favorite approach is to run a ratchet strap from tie-down hooks to the tailgate latch or cable pin. Just be sure you don't leave so much slack that the tailgate can jump off the hinge.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Really wish GM had put three of the tie down holes in the tailgate to match the front wall of the bed. I tie down to the tailgate more than I ever will the front of the bed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pic 1: Collie bed is about 4" short. I had 1" clearance in my '89 Dakota with tailgate closed. Hate to leave tailgate down - not sure how to strap it up against atv tires - any suggestions?

So I have a 2016 Honda Recon that I put in my 2016 short bed Colorado. I could not leave the tailgate down due to the fact that I was pulling a trailer and the center jack would hit the tailgate. So what I did was elevate the front tires on a large cooler to "shorten" the amount of the Recon sticking out the back. The tailgate still would not close all the way but would close about 7/8 of the way. I used a ratchet strap connected to the 2 posts that the tailgate latches to along with 2 pieces of old rubber bed mat for cushioning where the strap cut around the tailgate to hold the tailgate up in the 7/8 closed position. The strap was not holding any weight from the Recon as I had the Recon ratcheted forward using the tie downs in the front of the bed. The strap was just holding the tailgate up snug to the Recon's rear tires. Sorry, don't have a picture and it is hard to really explain it well. Hopefully you get the basics of what I did.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know you are concerned about a long bed, but here are pics of my 2016 short bed Canyon with my 2016 Polaris Sportsman 450HO loaded up. I had concerns about the weight on my tailgate, but looking through other forum threads, and speaking with the dealership where I bought my Sportsman, it sounds like tailgates of any truck brand can handle this weight. I searched high and low but couldn't find a weight spec from GM though... Sure would be nice if GM would tell us the weight limit of the tailgate.
Anyways, my Sportsman is 48" wide, and the space between the truck bed wheel wells is only 44", so I built some "ramps" out of scrap lumber to mimic the wheel wells so when I load the ATV it drives over the wheel wells evenly. It's a tight fit all around but it works.
Hope that helps!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.