Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2022 CCLB Z71
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy- Total newbie here. Never owned a truck and I haven't even taken possession of my new to me 2019 LT since the title is still between dealers.

I am sure this is an often talked about question, and I've read a TON of stuff on the web as well as exchanged messages with manufacturers. But I just want to know this for certain from the experts here: are the Renegade and Diamondback covers the only load bearing options when it comes to bed covers? Specifically using them to carry a strapped down load. My assumption is yes but I really want to make sure as I am trying to maximize the capacity of the vehicle for work and family. I need the best security and weather protection for musical gear that I use professionally. Being able to use the top of the bed for luggage/gear when heading to the cottage would be a real game changer. No motorcycles or ATVs etc in my future. Those days are over.

If the diamondback opened like a regular trifold I would be all set. The cost is not irrelevant but I am happy to pay for what I need. I love the Renegade and had a great message exchange with them about my concerns but I don't want to wait 6 months. And, yes, the cost on that one is a bit much.

Thanks!

·
Registered
418 Posts
The weight limit for most of the higher quality tri fold covers is about 400#. I have an Undercover Armorflex and I'm pretty sure the limit is about 400#. I really like the Diamondback covers, but I'm not a fan of the split design. If they made a hard tri fold cover that opens like the others, or a hard roll up one like the Bak Revolver (poor QC from what I've seen), I'd definitely send them my money. I'm very happy with my Armorflex.

·
Registered
2022 CCLB Z71
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks- I see the load ratings on the other covers but I haven't seen anybody using them to carry load. It seems to always reference snow load. Do you carry anything on your Armorflex? I really just want to carry a roof bag I currently use on my van.

I agree about the Diamondback design. I can see an advantage but I don't think it would outweigh the disadvantages. But I may ultimately go that route.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks- I see the load ratings on the other covers but I haven't seen anybody using them to carry load. It seems to always reference snow load. Do you carry anything on your Armorflex? I really just want to carry a roof bag I currently use on my van.

I agree about the Diamondback design. I can see an advantage but I don't think it would outweigh the disadvantages. But I may ultimately go that route.
I don't carry anything on my Armorflex. It gets stuff sitting on it when we're out and about or on day trips, but I don't haul anything on it.

Reactions: nschillace

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Diamondback is the only choice I would consider for "weight bearing".

DECKED fit my needs better so I went with that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Perhaps a platform roughly bed height? A cap on top would help with weather and security. Or maybe a basic tonneau and then you just roll/fold it up when you want to use the platform. This way the platform bears the load, opening options for a more basic and less costly tonneau.

Ignore the ski racks, these are GearOn GM tiered storage bars. You could easily build a platform secured to bars like these.

Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting

These are intended to be load-bearing and from what I can find each bar can support 250lbs, so 500lbs across both.

GearOn Crossrails mounted in truck bed with tie-downs
22950523 - GM 31XX Tiered Storage Beams

250LBS each
500lbs total over both

Info is from: GearOn Utility Rack weight limit? | Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon (coloradofans.com) post #9

Couldn't hurt to do your own research to confirm load capacity.

Just more ideas for consideration.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Diamondback is the only choice I would consider for "weight bearing".
Hahah, absolutely. Put 400lbs on a tri-folder and it will definitely fold, but not in the direction you're expecting. :LOL:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hahah, absolutely. Put 400lbs on a tri-folder and it will definitely fold, but not in the direction you're expecting. :LOL:
Yep. Maybe 400# evenly distributed over the entire cover. I really wish Diamondback made a tri fold type cover. I cent see getting the existing configuration. The trifold design works well for my needs.

·
Registered
2022 CCLB Z71
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps a platform roughly bed height? A cap on top would help with weather and security. Or maybe a basic tonneau and then you just roll/fold it up when you want to use the platform. This way the platform bears the load, opening options for a more basic and less costly tonneau.

Ignore the ski racks, these are GearOn GM tiered storage bars. You could easily build a platform secured to bars like these.

View attachment 432239

These are intended to be load-bearing and from what I can find each bar can support 250lbs, so 500lbs across both.

GearOn Crossrails mounted in truck bed with tie-downs
22950523 - GM 31XX Tiered Storage Beams

250LBS each
500lbs total over both

Info is from: GearOn Utility Rack weight limit? | Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon (coloradofans.com) post #9

Couldn't hurt to do your own research to confirm load capacity.

Just more ideas for consideration.

Cheers.
Excellent idea. I was looking at some crossbar/cover combos but never landed on anything. I really liked the Undercover Ridgelander set up which surprised me but it's no longer being manufactured.

When I posted the query I was getting ready to buy a 2019 LT CCSB but just today committed to a 2022 Z71 CCLB. Just a crazy leap in trucks but the used machines are ridiculously expensive and the extra you pay going new is marginal if you can swing it. The Z71 comes with a stock soft cover installed so maybe it will at least give me some user experience. I'm excited to go get it tomorrow.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Excellent idea. I was looking at some crossbar/cover combos but never landed on anything. I really liked the Undercover Ridgelander set up which surprised me but it's no longer being manufactured.

When I posted the query I was getting ready to buy a 2019 LT CCSB but just today committed to a 2022 Z71 CCLB. Just a crazy leap in trucks but the used machines are ridiculously expensive and the extra you pay going new is marginal if you can swing it. The Z71 comes with a stock soft cover installed so maybe it will at least give me some user experience. I'm excited to go get it tomorrow.
That’s great! Post up some pics after you get the truck.

Reactions: nschillace

·
Registered
166 Posts

A leap indeed! Happy for you, definitely post some pics when you have the chance.

·
Registered
2022 CCLB Z71
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I changed my profile pic to the only pic I have right now.

I found out it didn't have wheel locks which practically shocked me since every new and used truck at every trim I looked at had them. I know it's silly but I don't have a garage and I didn't want it out there unprotected. Wheels and tires are just the kinda thing that gets grabbed around here if the opportunity allows. And if it's one thing this truck isn't it's inconspicuous.

I went and closed the deal this afternoon and took the pic as I left having noticed it parked and beckoning me. My own personal Christine moment. ha

The locks should be in next week sometime and then I'm taking her straight up to the UP. I will test the ability of the back seat to take two car seats!

·
Registered
42 Posts
It seems like if you supported the tonneau cover from front to back down the center, you could put a lot more than 400 pounds on it. For house construction, the weight carrying ability of a room with an IJoist spanning 16' is substantually less than one with a center post under it (more than 1/2).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts