Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found out I will be PCSing to Germany at the end of the year so here's the question. Has anyone on here ever had a Colorado (Or a truck in general) over in Europe? I love my ZR2 and really don't want to get rid of it anytime soon, so ideally I plan on having the Air Force ship it over for me!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Germany drives on the right, so the main problems might be size and fuel economy. You'll be one of the biggest vehicles on the road and may have trouble with narrow streets and small parking spaces. Gas is also crazy expensive, so you may limit your driving.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The only major issue would be if you needed parts, either because of a service issue or an accident. Not saying you couldn't get them, but doing so could be very expensive and involve a wait. I knew a guy in England who had a 2500 Duramax and that was one of his problems. Fuel over there, after converting Euros to Dollars and Metric to English will probably be close to $5 a gallon. That's why you see tons of mopeds and bicycles. Europe is light years ahead of the US on public transportation which will help reduce your need to use the truck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Parts and service considerations aside, you should be fine. The Ford Explorer has been sold in Germany for years. I was in Germany 2 years ago and saw a few, not a lot, but some Explorers. You will also see other makes of pickups and minivans on the road driven by both US military personnel and German locals. Keep in mind that fuel costs more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can handle the extra fuel costs, I will mainly be just driving the truck to work and back plus short trips to town. For longer trips I plan to use the trains as much as possible. I figured the MAIN issue would be the size, but I think it will be manageable. It will probably be the only ZR2 in Germany, maybe all of Europe haha and I will probably be selling it before I come back stateside since I would probably be trading it in soon anyway and should be able to get more out of it over there.

Call me crazy but I'm also plan on taking my Camaro SS 1LE, looking forward to some track time at all the famous European tracks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
VW has a small pickup that is becoming 'prevalent' for a truck in and around the city where my company is located. They are about the size of the Colorado so it's not going to be an issue other than in the older sections of town, where people with new Audi/Merc/BMW wagons encounter the same problems due to width.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Just had a family member retire from the Army in Germany a couple years ago. He shipped over his S10 Blazer and drove it the whole time he was there. He sold it when he came home and it is still there.

Gas is expensive and getting parts was not all that bad. Many could be found in Europe and if not you can have them shipped in a couple days. Shipping today is not bad and fast no matter where you are.

I ship parts to just about anywhere in a matter of a couple days at reasonable cost. Not takes and import duty and tax charges in some places can be crazy.

Being a new truck it should not be too much of an issue.

As for size the ZR should fit in well in Germany. It is not much different in size than many of their vehicles. Small villages and older parts of some cities can have narrow streets but you learn where they are and how to deal with them over time.

My dad lived there for a few years and drove truck and had a good size Benz. Driving was never an issue for him. He was in the southern part of the country.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had a family member retire from the Army in Germany a couple years ago. He shipped over his S10 Blazer and drove it the whole time he was there. He sold it when he came home and it is still there.

Gas is expensive and getting parts was not all that bad. Many could be found in Europe and if not you can have them shipped in a couple days. Shipping today is not bad and fast no matter where you are.

I ship parts to just about anywhere in a matter of a couple days at reasonable cost. Not takes and import duty and tax charges in some places can be crazy.

Being a new truck it should not be too much of an issue.

As for size the ZR should fit in well in Germany. It is not much different in size than many of their vehicles. Small villages and older parts of some cities can have narrow streets but you learn where they are and how to deal with them over time.

My dad lived there for a few years and drove truck and had a good size Benz. Driving was never an issue for him. He was in the southern part of the country.
Awesome thanks for the info! That definitely eases most of my fears!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Be sure to see if any modifications are required to meet European standards. In the past, new US cars sold to Europeans were required to modified (i.e. amber rear turn signals). You will have a blast overseas!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts

Well. . . if you do take it with you, keep us posted and let us know your real experience with it. First hand experience and being there may be quite different than years past. Even 5 or 10 years ago. Times change . The there is the 8L45 possible "Shudder" issue if you have that transmission. If the fix is needed over seas, a shop would need the correct Bosch flush equipment and new recommended trans fluid. And authorization form GM to do it. ::chevy::

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well. . . if you do take it with you, keep us posted and let us know your real experience with it. First hand experience and being there may be quite different than years past. Even 5 or 10 years ago. Times change . The there is the 8L45 possible "Shudder" issue if you have that transmission. If the fix is needed over seas, a shop would need the correct Bosch flush equipment and new recommended trans fluid. And authorization form GM to do it. ::chevy::
Will do for sure!

So the trans shudder is an issue for me..... I'm actually taking it in for the "new" Flush/fix this week, so we will see how that goes. Luckily I have roughly 10 months before I leave so plenty of time to get it sorted out (hopefully). I just crossed 10k miles on my truck and it has the shudder pretty bad :( I see a lot of mentions of lemon law/buy-back regarding the shudder which I have no interest in taking it that far unless I really have no other choice so I will be doing everything I can to get it sorted out to where I can take the truck over and never have to worry about it.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
No problem.

The experience was only 3 years ago as the family member retired and continued to live in a Germany and worked as a contractor for the government there.

In fact he sold the Blazer there and came home and is now a proud owner of a second gen Colorado.

On a side note Chuck is one person with some real guts. He spent the first gulf war chasing the Republican guard in Iraq and later saw a lot of time in Afghanistan.
He was based in Frankfurt Germany. I am very proud of him.

His one complaint here is the low speed limit lol!

Yes if you have the shudder now you will need to have it checked now.

Note GM has authorized service partners in Europe. They are often near military bases as they have more GM cars in these areas.

Most bases will have this info for you once you arrive.

While GM does not directly market vehicles there much they do have points of service they work with to deal with products out of country. With the Camaro and Corvette going to Europe in the future with Cadillac re entering again that should change for the better as time goes on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it if it were me. I'd sell the truck, put the money in an account, and rebuy when I got back stateside. They're crazy about vehicle modifications and inspection over there.

Buy a scooter or a hot hatch; When in Rome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Big things will be lights and emissions. All have to be TUV approved and pass emissions testing.

This a couple years old but interesting:
Are You TÜV Enough? ? Cranky Driver

Do a search for what you'll need and try to get it done before you go.

He’ll be able to register it with military overseas plates so the truck wouldn’t have to be TUV approved.
Gas prices aren’t a big deal as you can fuel up on post for what we pay stateside.
I was stationed in Hohenfels for four years, the only ‘problem’ you’ll have is the truck is a little big for the really small city side streets you’ll find. But that’s not really an issue because you‘ll rarely have to navigate them unless you absolutely want to. Honestly you should have no problems except extended trips on the autobahn. Cruising speed for most folks is about 100 mph and unless you have your limiter removed you’ll be slow poking it in the unlimited sections and getting blasted off the road by diesel Mercedes station wagons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He’ll be able to register it with military overseas plates so the truck wouldn’t have to be TUV approved.
Gas prices aren’t a big deal as you can fuel up on post for what we pay stateside.
I was stationed in Hohenfels for four years, the only ‘problem’ you’ll have is the truck is a little big for the really small city side streets you’ll find. But that’s not really an issue because you‘ll rarely have to navigate them unless you absolutely want to. Honestly you should have no problems except extended trips on the autobahn. Cruising speed for most folks is about 100 mph and unless you have your limiter removed you’ll be slow poking it in the unlimited sections and getting blasted off the road by diesel Mercedes station wagons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Now this is what I needed to hear haha good to know about the military plates! As for gas, looks like it's about half price on base as compared to off base.

Luckily I will have my Camaro as well so any Autobahn trips will be done in that beast, as we know 100mph feels like 40mph in that thing haha

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
wow y'all act like its a different country or sumthin like dat and thay dont have trucks . they pretty much have evrthin we gots here... sometimes eeven biggar wit mo wheeeels! i kno cuz i hav a pasport! thay use diffrent funy names to. england tho is known for narrow roads and bridges wher even many merican sports cars wont fit.

i tink my spelchek quit wurkin

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I was stationed in Frankfurt in the 80's, they did not have P/u's, except for flat bed cargo trucks (Volvo's IIRC). I brought a '79 Chevy 'LUV" with me and anywhere I took that stupid thing, some Ger. Ntl. would want to buy it from me! I think you will be GtG over there, except for maybe the Autobahn, if they haven't put a speed limit on it, you will be in the right lane a lot. Good luck and enjoy your tour there, I did. OLDDUDE:smile2:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The ranger, VW Amorok and several other vehicles in same class or size are sold in Europe, it's not that big of a deal. Plus like others mentioned, the larger BMWs, Mercs and others are similar if not even larger.

Have fun!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
16 Participants
Lucifer
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing