Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I scheduled an appointment to get my bed sprayed with Line-X, and the guy tells me about a special they have on undercoating...Normally 385, right now for 225.

What do you guys know about this product? I know Line-X bed liners are very high quality, but is the undercoating worth it?

I live in northwest Ohio, lots of salt on the roads...it sounds like a good idea, but I don't just want to blow 225 bucks if it's not really worth it.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I've had my truck for 3 years on MD roads - lots of salt here to due to the ice - and there is no rust. Not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I wouldn't do it either. And frankly, I
think undercoating throughout its history has been
overblown, if not a marketing ploy.

Our trucks have bodies of galvanized steel except for the roof if i am not mistaken, and if you wash your truck regularly including the undercarriage you will be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think under coating would be fine worth it... last i checked they garrantee thier product for as log as you own you truck... well let me refraise. i think it would be worth it if you plan on keeping your turck.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
paint and rust is about 7-8 years max if I remember correctly, think 5 or 6 is closer

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Undercoating can also cause moisture to get trapped in places and rust from the inside out instead of just running out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
thats what I recall Rangerbob

Remember when Ziebart took the market years ago. Then
rust started popping up, at least in the early days, due to trapped moisture

·
Registered
388 Posts
Warranty info from the Chevy Website:

Chevrolet vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion.
All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for 6-years/100,000-miles (whichever comes first).
Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your Chevrolet dealer for terms of this limited warranty.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent advice guys, I greatly appreciate it.

I was actually kind of excited at first, but you all have convinced me to not do it.

It was funny...when I got off the phone with the Line-X guy, I told my wife about the deal and then said "It sounds like a good deal, but I will ask my Colorado buddies what they think."

Glad I did!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts