Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Colorado ZR2 Bison
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Ive tried to search for this but have not come up with what I'm looking for. Many questions are on specific lighting pieces but I am looking to better understand the lighting system as a whole.

How do I get the best coverage/usability? Surely there are better combinations of parts and worse.

This question came up when trying to select pieces and seeing the Baja Designs Vehicle Lighting Zones graphic. I am trying to configure for these known things that are going on The 21 Bison:
  • Light Bar: 20", mounted on top of front bumper
  • Fog lights: will replace factory with something
  • "ditch lights": TBD
  • Headlights: H/L LED bulbs in factory housings
  • (perhaps way later a bar above/behind the cab. not drilling into roof.)
For the light bar, fog lights, & ditch lights, I'm trying to get improved visibility for general purpose, night, off road driving, not too high speed, not desert (located in SE, so think trails, woody, etc).

For example, with some super distance from frog lights covering zone 5 in the mentioned graphic, and a driving/combo-style light bar covering zone 3, am I loosing out on anything by not having zone 1 covered?
Will the high-throw fog lights be of use since they're mounted so low?
Will the crossing of low-mounted throws and higher mounted broader beams be OK?

Thank you, everyone, in advance for the input!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I'll address the question of fog lights first. Understand that fog is nothing more than low lying clouds. The reasoning behind mounting/aiming fog lights low is to keep the light underneath as much of the fog as possible to prevent light from being bounced back at the driver by the water molecules in the fog. Even so, without fog, the lights will provide useful illumination as they will cast light in the area normally 'shone over' by other lights. The Baja Design graphic shows this, but as the graphic also shows, fog lights do not illuminate out to zone 4 or 5 with any real effectiveness. The graphic is correct for their lights. Other brands may or may not conform to the graphic depending on their design, regardless of what that particular manufacturer may claim. Baja lights are expensive but they deliver what they claim and they are top notch quality.

Be aware that many auxiliary lights (including some of Baja's) are not legal for road use, though I can't ever remember someone being ticketed for their use. As for mounting above the cab, I have mixed feelings. Yes, they look macho cool and whatnot, but they have several drawbacks that include clearance problems, glare, steadfast mounting and wiring (lights that bounce around drive me nuts) and added wind resistance, which in some cases can also create undesirable noise. I was even leery about installing my ditch lights, and while they are pretty effective, the do produce a lot of glare on the hood.

·
Premium Member
2015 Canyon
139 Posts
The reasoning behind mounting/aiming fog lights low is to keep the light underneath as much of the fog as possible to prevent light from being bounced back at the driver by the water molecules in the fog.
Never completely understood the purpose of them until now. Learn something new every day.... 👍

·
Registered
2017 AT4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
2,110 Posts
To light up zone 5 you want some pencil beams. If you install an overhead light bar, some come with pencil beams but LED are the worst at throwing light. If you want a light source that throws, go with halogen or HID. Trying to light up zone 5 with LED you will be burning through a lot of cash lol

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
To light up zone 5 you want some pencil beams. If you install an overhead light bar, some come with pencil beams but LED are the worst at throwing light. If you want a light source that throws, go with halogen or HID. Trying to light up zone 5 with LED you will be burning through a lot of cash lol
As you say, LOT$ of cash. Baja makes a LED specifically for this purpose, I've not doubt it works, but they are $999 each and have a average life of 2000 hours. If you are racing in the desert and your life depended on light, $2k is worth it (especially if you are sponsored). For peons like me who will never face those conditions, nah.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
As you say, LOT$ of cash. Baja makes a LED specifically for this purpose, I've not doubt it works, but they are $999 each and have a average life of 2000 hours. If you are racing in the desert and your life depended on light, $2k is worth it (especially if you are sponsored). For peons like me who will never face those conditions, nah.
Yep, and since HID pencil beams are less expensive, brighter and more reliable than LED, even if the Baja LED's sold at 10% of that $1K MSRP I'd probably still pass on them lol

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Yep, and since HID pencil beams are less expensive, brighter and more reliable than LED, even if the Baja LED's sold at 10% of that $1K MSRP I'd probably still pass on them lol
Other than size (9" diameter!) these look like a worthy contender. 100w, 10,000 lumen and just a smidge more than 1/2 the cost of one Baja light.

Heavy Duty 9 Inch 100w HID Spotlights Australia.

Size however would probably prevent front mounting and call for either a light bar or roof mounting.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Other than size (9" diameter!) these look like a worthy contender. 100w, 10,000 lumen and just a smidge more than 1/2 the cost of one Baja light.

Heavy Duty 9 Inch 100w HID Spotlights Australia.

Size however would probably prevent front mounting and call for either a light bar or roof mounting.
9inch lights / aka parasails on our trucks lol

But I am fairly sure there are smaller ones out there. Regardless they will be deep lights because the lens has to be very concave to focus the beam.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
DD High and Low Beam Headlights, DD fogs, Baja Designs for the rest. I can say the darkest place I've been was in the prairie center of Montana where the closet electricity was over 30 miles away, this set up let me see very far down the back roads and the ditch lights worked perfectly to see what animals where coming from the sides.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'd say start with upgrading the headlights and fog lights first. When I did the HID 4TLR retrofit, it was night and day difference, with ONLY headlights. The dual highbeam kit equated to something around 11k lumens vs stock single beam ~4k. Lows by themselves were ~7k vs ~2400. If that is not sufficient, then start looking at more.

I have a 30" BD Onx6 lightbar and a pair of Squadron Pro's. I don't use the bar much.

·
Registered
2018 Z71 Ext. Cab 3.6L Satin Steel
48 Posts
I'd say start with upgrading the headlights and fog lights first. When I did the HID 4TLR retrofit, it was night and day difference, with ONLY headlights. The dual highbeam kit equated to something around 11k lumens vs stock single beam ~4k. Lows by themselves were ~7k vs ~2400. If that is not sufficient, then start looking at more.

I have a 30" BD Onx6 lightbar and a pair of Squadron Pro's. I don't use the bar much.
Totally agree 👍 After the morimoto upgrade I don't think I'll ever need a light bar lol. All light upgrades should start here.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Baja Designs

Ditch - squadron sport - wide cornering (white)
Fog - XLR Sport - wide cornering (amber)
Spot - S8 - combo (white) - not shown / camera issue

20210418_053016.jpg

I'll take another picture at this angle with the spot.

·
Site Sponsor
232 Posts
Hello everyone,

Ive tried to search for this but have not come up with what I'm looking for. Many questions are on specific lighting pieces but I am looking to better understand the lighting system as a whole.

How do I get the best coverage/usability? Surely there are better combinations of parts and worse.

This question came up when trying to select pieces and seeing the Baja Designs Vehicle Lighting Zones graphic. I am trying to configure for these known things that are going on The 21 Bison:
  • Light Bar: 20", mounted on top of front bumper
  • Fog lights: will replace factory with something
  • "ditch lights": TBD
  • Headlights: H/L LED bulbs in factory housings
  • (perhaps way later a bar above/behind the cab. not drilling into roof.)
For the light bar, fog lights, & ditch lights, I'm trying to get improved visibility for general purpose, night, off road driving, not too high speed, not desert (located in SE, so think trails, woody, etc).

For example, with some super distance from frog lights covering zone 5 in the mentioned graphic, and a driving/combo-style light bar covering zone 3, am I loosing out on anything by not having zone 1 covered?
Will the high-throw fog lights be of use since they're mounted so low?
Will the crossing of low-mounted throws and higher mounted broader beams be OK?

Thank you, everyone, in advance for the input!
@KonstantOne and anyone else looking at putting together a lighting package, you should check out our new "Lighting Zones Explained" video series where we go into each lighting zone in detail. We break down what each zone is and give examples of lights that fit within that zone. It's well worth your time and gives you the knowledge to build the proper lighting package for your application.
Watch the Videos here: Baja Designs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts