Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i think im going to lift my truck when i get it, i want to get a crew cab 4x4 canyon. Can someone show me a 4" lift and a 6" lift? i didnt find much when i searched. I want to build a desert truck for some fun off-road action. I need a nice lift kit that you would reccomend. It needs to come witheverything needed to lift it. I was wondering, would i need to change my gearing in the diff? i only plan on getting a little bit of a bigger tire not much.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Mine is the Rancho 4" + the Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift. You can go to my website for better pics. Nobody makes a 6" suspension for these trucks. Skyjacker seems to be the more popular lift on the list (also 4"). And I think Tuff Country makes one, but I'm not sure on the height.

Here's my story: I bought the Rancho because I thought the front dropped subframe ass'y looked stouter than Skyjacker's. It didn't hurt that it cost less either. It also has braces that run from the rear half of the dropped subframe to the center crossmember which eliminate any potential for movement. From what I can see in the Skyjacker instructions, it looks like the Rancho was an easier install (which I did myself).

Having lived with the Rancho since May, and having done a little offroading in the Sierra Nevada on small boulders, I can tell you now that I no longer care for the design of the rear lift on the Rancho. They use a drop bracket for the front eye of the leaf and a longer shackle in the rear. The bracket in front hangs too low and WILL hang up on things you should be able to go over with ease. I'm going to replace the Rancho rear setup with a set of Skyjacker springs in the near future. I still prefer the front setup of the Rancho, just not the rear. However, by going this route, I'll have about the same money in the lift as if I had bought the Skyjacker to begin with.

Gears: My tires are essentially 33x12.50/16s. I need gears. OEMs in my truck are 3.73s. If you find a truck with 4.10s you should be OK. If you go smaller than 33s, you might be OK with 3.73s, IDK. On my setup, it's not a power issue, it's an RPM issue. The tranny is constantly trying to shift between D and 3 at freeway speeds. At lower speeds, I could live with the 3.73s. You can see in my sig that I also have the PCM retuned by PCM for Less, and an AEM Brute Force intake, both of which help on the power.

If you're serious about the desert truck thing, there are a couple of things you ought to look into. There is a company now making a long travel front suspension for these trucks (2wd only), and at least one company producing swelled front fenders and bedsides. If you're interested, you can PM me and I'll get you the info.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts