Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am the least electrical savvy person alive and I need some help.

Edit: 2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain

Because of some add ons to my truck, I have to relocate my rear license plate which means adding a 3rd party license plate light. The kit I purchased has a brake light as well. My understanding is the 3 wires from this kit are:

1. Brake light
2. Constant for license plate light
3. Ground wire

I have tried looking at the electrical schematic for my Canyon and it is like reading Arabic to me. I am assuming all these wires can be found in and around the tail light, but I don't want to start snipping and crimping until I am positive I am going to the right wires.

Any and all help is appreciated because currently I can't drive at night unless I want to get pulled over. Here is a picture of the kit

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
I know you have written about your truck extensively, but could you add the year/trim at least in your sig line so we know what we are looking at.

I am putting on a seminar tomorrow, don't have time to look at schematics. I would probably splice into the brake wire at the trailer hookup (4/7 pin harness), and into the license plate light at the factory connection. As far as ground, I would have to look at it, but could grab it from the existing license plate wiring or from the trailer hookup. You may be able to just ground it at the frame as you mount it, just have to see.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you have written about your truck extensively, but could you add the year/trim at least in your sig line so we know what we are looking at.

I am putting on a seminar tomorrow, don't have time to look at schematics. I would probably splice into the brake wire at the trailer hookup (4/7 pin harness), and into the license plate light at the factory connection. As far as ground, I would have to look at it, but could grab it from the existing license plate wiring or from the trailer hookup. You may be able to just ground it at the frame as you mount it, just have to see.

Hey, I appreciate it. Just added it into the post above. 2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain.

I thought about the trailer harness too. I didn't know if that could cause some issue with my trailer brake. I would hate to find out the hard way

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
No one should attempt to do electrical work without at least a rudimentary multi-meter. Harbor Freight frequently has a coupon to give away a cheap version with any purchase. I have a couple of them floating around with me.

That said, if you don't know what you are doing, electricity can kill you. Not likely to be electrocuted working on a 12 volt vehicle system, but 120 VAC and above can be deadly. Just cuz you have a multi-tester doesn't make you an electrician. Please be safe.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Hey, I appreciate it. Just added it into the post above. 2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain.

I thought about the trailer harness too. I didn't know if that could cause some issue with my trailer brake. I would hate to find out the hard way
Making a connection from the trailer harness, you want to tie into the light circuit for brakes, NOT the electric brake circuit.

I personally wouldn't worry about the brake light portion of the circuit, my only desire would be the lighting for the license plate, but I assume that would leave some red lights on the assembly you purchased to never be used.

·
Registered
126 Posts
To keep things super simple, I advise you to use the 4-pin trailer light output. Not the big 7-pin round one, but the 4-pin flat connecter. Here's a diagram below. You can buy the trailer wire pigtail anywhere for a few bucks. Connect your license plate bracket as if it were a trailer according to the diagram below.

Attachments

Reactions: madcratebuilder

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I think Joedude has the best solution.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
To keep things super simple, I advise you to use the 4-pin trailer light output. Not the big 7-pin round one, but the 4-pin flat connecter. Here's a diagram below. You can buy the trailer wire pigtail anywhere for a few bucks. Connect your license plate bracket as if it were a trailer according to the diagram below.
I have thought of that, but the 4/7 pin connector is physically designed I believe that you can only use one or the other. So, if you need to tow a trailer, you have to unplug your license plate.

Plus, you end up with an unsightly wire harness from the connector to the license plate lights. (I say "unsightly" without knowing exactly what the aesthetics of the OP's modifications are.)

It would be really nice if you could plug a pigtail into the 4 pin harness from behind the bumper to add a 2nd 4-pin connector in the wiring. I am thinking that the 4-pin wire harness from an aftermarket supplier might actually work for this, but can't be sure without seeing the wire harness and dragging my fat arse under my truck. That might enable a lot of options.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
X2^^^^

Don't want to confuse further but... if you want to utilize the brake light on the new frame you may need a logic box which will separate the turn signal wires for the brake light

essentially you're adding a third brake light similar to the one on the rear cab light

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Tow-Ready/118158.html

It's simple if you can grasp the concept of the turn lights and brake lights being one circuit and the need to separate them, otherwise your brake light will blink when you use one of your turns

Comes with diagram

Another simpler but more expensive option is the Leer 7 way interface harness

Sounds complicated but a very simple plug in that is all contained behind the bumper and out of sight (I used this on mine)

http://www.leer.com/?d=36&dt=120 (this harness is usually used when adding a topper with a third brake light)

You unplug the stock trailer harness behind the bumper, plug in the interface harness and plug the stock harness back into the interface harness

its overkill but very simple and clean. You then have all the wires seperated that are needed to use the third brake light and license light if desired (license light is just the tail light circuit)

Also. check out this link from Etrailer.. may apply to your truck as well

https://www.etrailer.com/question-19219.html

good luck and reach out if you need anything

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
That remote license plate bracket @ClaysandBirds shows in the 1st post looks like it has a trailer brake pigtail, maybe all is needed is to plug that into the trailer brake & be done with it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
That remote license plate bracket @ClaysandBirds shows in the 1st post looks like it has a trailer brake pigtail, maybe all is needed is to plug that into the trailer brake & be done with it?
No it is just a quick disconnect. I had the same bracket as shown on my last wrangler when i moved my license plate to my tire carrier.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And god said "Let there be light!"

It was done in the most ghetto way possible, but I did it. I tapped into my license plate light. Two wires were there. Green and black. So easy I couldn't screw it up. I will have it redone with the brake light when I take the truck in next week to my truck cap place. I am having a 12v charging block put in to charge my dogs tracking collars.

I really appreciate the suggestion and ideas. Now NY cops won't pull me over when I'm down there this weekend.

·
Registered
539 Posts
And god said "Let there be light!"

It was done in the most ghetto way possible, but I did it. I tapped into my license plate light. Two wires were there. Green and black. So easy I couldn't screw it up. I will have it redone with the brake light when I take the truck in next week to my truck cap place. I am having a 12v charging block put in to charge my dogs tracking collars.

I really appreciate the suggestion and ideas. Now NY cops won't pull me over when I'm down there this weekend.
Very nice man. Planning on doing the same thing as I have the same Wilco setup. Did you decide what rear camera you're going with?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very nice man. Planning on doing the same thing as I have the same Wilco setup. Did you decide what rear camera you're going with?

I had originally purchased a license plate relocation kit that moves the plate to the center of the spare wheel. I was going to do that with a plug and play factory camera figuring I'd get the same height and perspective in that location. I didn't like the ease of use of the center plate relocation bracket and may just put it on the wilco license plate location. I'm really waiting for someone else to bite the bullet first but I think we are all waiting to see what everyone does

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Only concern is with how low the plate now hangs, they removed the bumper foot steps on the ZR2 because they were getting beat up, that plates looks like it will reduce your departure angle quite a bit.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Only concern is with how low the plate now hangs, they removed the bumper foot steps on the ZR2 because they were getting beat up, that plates looks like it will reduce your departure angle quite a bit.
Yea, great observation. Maybe a bracket that would relocate the plate to this location? Just a thought.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.