Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Certainly not the first but wanted to provide another confirmation of "yes, you can do this" for anyone contemplating using a strut spacer leveling kit for a ZR2. Finished the install last evening so I'll apologize for the crappy night-time photos. Not too tough a job - probably 3 hours total time. Used a Rough Country 1" spacer - #921 - $50. Loved the look before and it's just a bit better now! Front end being aligned tomorrow AM.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the kit at home, I just haven't had time to install it yet.

I'm really curious how it impacts the ride quality (and if it changes the position of the DSSVs due to the preload).

·
Registered
126 Posts
@mksz51, nice work!! Thank you for sharing. I've got the same parts on-hand now, ready for installation, but it's raining .. and will probably rain all weekend here. Figures, doesn't it? I just wanted to mention that @G2SKIER did this also, and brought up a good point about installing a longer bump stop. He installed a Belltech (part #921, for about $25) that should help at full compression. Since the strut assembly got pushed down 5/8" (the thickness of the spacer) a bumpstop about that much longer would return things to normal, relatively speaking, and wouldn't allow the $900 DSSV shock from over-compressing. I'm a novice on all things suspension-related, so maybe he can chime in and add a few cents worth.

And before I go, it looks freaking great!!! I'm even more stoked to get this done now!

Reactions: G2SKIER

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Awesome! Yeah definitely order that bump stop kit! Don't want to risk bottoming out the dssv damper! Other than that enjoy! No ride quality or dssv effected by doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have the kit at home, I just haven't had time to install it yet.

I'm really curious how it impacts the ride quality (and if it changes the position of the DSSVs due to the preload).

I'd say go ahead and put it on! No ride quality change and no preload change (the plunger in the damper stay at the same position because the whole shock/spring assembly or strut gets moved down as one unit from the spacer) it just moved the whole strut down , making your arms lift the front a bit more. Just don't forget bump stops!

Btw...nice vette!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay - ALL credit on this upgrade goes to G2SKIER - I'm just a shameless copycat! I will say - BLACK is badass on this truck - other colors are awesome but the black just does it. I'm a pharmacist - so OCD is my baseline - so yeah, I wash and polish the truck a lot. Revised bumpstops are on order!!! Here's a daytime pic today after I had the alignment done. Alignment showed a bit of toe change needed and camber change needed on one side only (that's likely the 10 second alignment the factory does). Once again - I live in suburbia so NO WAY can I have awesome venue pics like G2SKIER - he definitely wins on that front!! Love the truck - and thanks for the comments on the Vette. I have the best of both worlds - "High" and "Low". Helps to have an awesome wife with a great salary!!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Okay - ALL credit on this upgrade goes to G2SKIER - I'm just a shameless copycat! I will say - BLACK is badass on this truck - other colors are awesome but the black just does it. I'm a pharmacist - so OCD is my baseline - so yeah, I wash and polish the truck a lot. Revised bumpstops are on order!!! Here's a daytime pic today after I had the alignment done. Alignment showed a bit of toe change needed and camber change needed on one side only (that's likely the 10 second alignment the factory does). Once again - I live in suburbia so NO WAY can I have awesome venue pics like G2SKIER - he definitely wins on that front!! Love the truck - and thanks for the comments on the Vette. I have the best of both worlds - "High" and "Low". Helps to have an awesome wife with a great salary!!!

Hey now, don't give me all the credit! ZR2 AIR was the first member to try it! I did, though, try to write a very detailed write up and get the news out that it was possible. I'm glad we have more members trying this with success! Black looks amazing!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Looks excellent. I will admit also, after G2SKIERs posts I ha e been wanting to do this. Will be getting my parts on order soon!

Reactions: G2SKIER

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
You want Belltech 4924 bump stops. You can make them fit just like OEM.

Reactions: toy4x4

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yes, the 4924 is the correct number. Mine are still working great!

·
Registered
244 Posts
does it still stay level with like 800lbs in the back?

·
Registered
350 Posts
does it still stay level with like 800lbs in the back?
LOL I doubt it. However with Loadrite airbag suspension it wouldn't sag at all. I had Bridgestone airbags on the back of my 06 Frontier. Could tow or haul anything and no sagging britches like more Toyotas

1 - 20 of 57 Posts