Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Ext. Cab 4x4 Summit White
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Leer 180 roof rack on a long bed canyon. love the Mid/High rise with extra head space, but am having trouble finding any railed roof racks that fit within the dimensions. Not trying to spend 500 on a rhino rack setup. Only need it to be a fly rod/spinning rod holder. Almost about to pull the trigger on these permanent racks but wanted to get opinions first before pulling the trigger.

Amazon.com: Vantech Universal Pickup Topper J1000 Ladder roof Rack w/ 50" Bars Black : Automotive
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Cloud

· Registered
76 Posts
The Tracks for the racks can be easily cut down. I personally love the Yakima system. The reason is the racks themselves take all of 30 seconds to remove. They are lockable if you want. I run them at 78" so they can hold 2 canoes. An added bonus is the hangover lets me set my flyrods there while getting ready. Also, it makes a nifty clothesline for drying things, and I have an awning on one side during Cyclocross season. The round bars also don't bend like the Thule.
That said, I have a Thule bars for the cab to haul certain canoes andn16' trim.
I use Thule bike racks as well. I believe all racks are interchangeable with other rails.
The ones you are looking at look like a good choice ss well, but all of them may make noise.
Check Rack attack if you have not done so yet. The systems are pricey, but I have used the rail mounts on 3 different vehicles since 2005.
Cheers

· Registered
2020 Z71 LB 4x4
1,631 Posts
The purpose of having the rails bolted to the top, is that you can mount the cross bars in various places to carry various loads. If you're only going to carry one thing, there's no need for the variability. It's extra steps and hundreds of dollars.

Make some sinple cross bars, and bolt them to the top.

· Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Ext. Cab 4x4 Summit White
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The purpose of having the rails bolted to the top, is that you can mount the cross bars in various places to carry various loads. If you're only going to carry one thing, there's no need for the variability. It's extra steps and hundreds of dollars.

Make some sinple cross bars, and bolt them to the top.
Ended up buying a roof rack from a 1996-2002 toyota 4 runner. Racks are able to move and only paid $200 with shipping for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts