Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I keep finding conflicting info about LED light in OEM reflector housing like the LT and WT trim and was wondering if it is a good idea or do they not work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I keep finding conflicting info about LED light in OEM reflector housing like the LT and WT trim and was wondering if it is a good idea or do they not work?
For me I got Lasfit LED's for both low and high beams. For me they work perfectly, nice white color and so far no sign of lose of power. I too questioned LEDs in my 2017 LT reflectors but just aiming a bit lower seemed to do the trick. Haven't gotten flashed or anything, even driven past many officers without question.

·
Registered
435 Posts
LEDs in reflectors? Nope...just nope. In projectors? OK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got Benibolt lows in my Lt reflectors , 100% better than stock, great pattern, nobody flashing me, just readjust down a smidge , wondering does Benibolt still produce leds?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
the new LED bulbs will work fine in reflector housings, back a few years ago when you bought a aftermarket LED bulb they were wide and some had leds positioned all over, scattering light.

Todays bulbs are so much better, but like posted above and whether reflector or projector, yoou need to re-aim your headlights after installing any light bulb, period.

fyi, stay awy from GTR as they will not fit behind the dust covers, unless you want to buy deeper dust covers or spend the money to modify the stock ones..

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Not want to argue. . . but all aftermarket LEDs are not the same and most will not have the LED "stalk" and light emitting elements in the proper position to mimicka halogen bulb and focus correctly in a reflector housing.

Most LED after market H11 bulbs will shine into on coming drivers eyes in a reflector housing even if "aimed".

Not getting "flashed" is no indication since many are concerned of that flashing an oncoming vehicle may precipitate road rage reactions.

Get into a car and have a friend drive your truck with LEDs. Take it out on a rural or little driven road or street and drive towards you truck while driving a car. Repeat several times. Then see how another driver views the LED reflector combination.

Reactions: rriddle3

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Not want to argue. . . but all aftermarket LEDs are the same and most will not have the LED "stalk" and light emitting elements in the proper position to mimick and focus correctly in a reflector housing.

Most LED after market H11 bulbs will shine into on coming drivers eyes in a reflector housing even if "aimed".

you have tried the newer bulbs in reflector housings the last couple years or just heresay?

Lots of videos saying the newer bulbs work great in reflector housings, even HTR has one

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I tried 3 brands of them in daughter car and they sure lit up the road. I also marked the original halogen light pattern and cutoff onto a large building wall before hand 30 and 50 feet away first. Then installed the LEDs and checked again. Too much upward scatter.
Tried aiming them more downward and all that did was reduce the throw of the LED beam to a point that was not acceptable, plus they did still scatter upward as well although not as much.

One LED bulb was a bit better, but still did too much upward scatter. I suppose. . . as with anything else YMMV.

However, the main problem with the LED stalk in those bulbs is that they should have the elements facing at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position in the light housing. That does not produce the same light emitting as a halogen bulb.

I have tried LED bulbs from a half dozen or more brands costing $40 to $130 and the main difference in is desgn quality, brightness and color temperature.

I have LED headlights in 2 of our 3 GM vehicles from 2017 to 2019 models. All have projector housings. But in my wife's car they just do not work well because the lights are so low to the road.

I strongly suggest that anyone swapping factory halogens for LEDs do what I suggested earlier about getting in a car and having a friend drive your truck or car towards each other. Then an owner will know for sure.

·
Registered
435 Posts
...However, the main problem with the LED stalk in those bulbs is that they should have the elements facing at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position in the light housing. That does not produce the same light emitting as a halogen bulb.
More than that, some have the emitter at the wrong spot on the length of the stalk or have the wrong type/shape of emitter. Sometimes the 9 & 3 issue cam be negated on some by clocking the assembly. Headlight Revolution discusses these problems on their website.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Ever see our big rig truck driving friends and their leds? OMG WOW talk bout blinding
Yes . . ever have one behind you? I have seen some . .maybe LED factory equipped(?) . .. . that were OK and seemed aimed properly. But many others have the lights up so high that they blind a rear view mirror a mile or so behind me.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
More than that, some have the emitter at the wrong spot on the length of the stalk or have the wrong type/shape of emitter. Sometimes the 9 & 3 issue cam be negated on some by clocking the assembly. Headlight Revolution discusses these problems on their website.
Agree. . . clockable is best so the emitters can be indexed. And as you say, there are different emitter shapes and the position of them on the heat sink stalk.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Ever see our big rig truck driving friends and their leds? OMG WOW talk bout blinding
Last year during hunting season, I had a jacked up in the front truck with tail draging behind me several times heading back to hunting camp in the evenings, even his low beams were blinding people, saw him at the gas station one evening and mentioned it to him, he just brushed it off.

I heard NC was going to outlaw those trucks, they will have to be level or nose lower then the front...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Last year during hunting season, I had a jacked up in the front truck with tail draging behind me several times heading back to hunting camp in the evenings, even his low beams were blinding people, saw him at the gas station one evening and mentioned it to him, he just brushed it off.

I heard NC was going to outlaw those trucks, they will have to be level or nose lower then the front...
But...but...they even got their name from the state.
I Made Fun of the Carolina Squat, But I Didn't Want It Banned (caranddriver.com)

Reactions: Hunter62
1 - 14 of 14 Posts