Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

LED/HID Head Light Dust Cover Extension Mod for GM Projector Housings $2

57K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  redferbclan 
#1 · (Edited)
For anyone who might be interested in an alternative headlight dust cap extension. This allows substantially more room than some other methods and isn't a lot of work if you have the tools and are handy.

I used my table saw with the dust cover up against the fence and just rotated the dust cover into the blade to make a nice even 3/8" cut off the dust cover top. Clean it up with a file and sand paper.
But careful use with a saws all or even hack saw may work,

Automotive tire Tire Synthetic rubber Rim Audio equipment

Sports gear Helmet Sports equipment Cap Kitchen appliance

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Personal luxury car

Or. . . try Version 2.0 of the dust cover using 2 pair of GM Dust Covers with the top one trimmed of the lip if desired for cleaner look . . .
Peripheral Automotive design Input device Audio equipment Gadget

Also, proceed at your own risk.

I've recently started trying out some LED headlights, just because I enjoy trying out new things that I may find useful. In the process, as many know, the GM projector (and halogen high beams for that matter) have a dust cover over them. When converting to some HID and many LED H11 headlight replacements, the GM dust cover makes for a tight fit if it can be still used at all. So, I endeavored to modify the GM factory headlight dust covers to remedy this.

I wanted a decent looking outcome without spending a lot of cash. After trying various off the shelf "parts", I used the ever helpful process of "thinking outside the box". I purchased 4 GM dust covers for about $9 ea shipped which are used on many new GM vehicles:

Part No.: 23486492 COVER ASM-HDLP BULB ACC

Access Cover - GM (23486492) | GMPartsNow

I purchased these both to have potential spares for my other vehicle or in case I needed a sacrificial prototype. . . In other words, buggered one up. But all went well and I made a couple pair. Of course, you can always just mod the ones your vehicle comes with and save $$. The only other items I needed were the "Custom Dust Cover Extensions" and some adhesive sealant to secure them to the GM dust cover after a bit of manicuring.

I initially tried some smaller diameter extensions and found it too much trouble to implement since the H11 bulb does not sit centered behind the GM dust cover. Therefore, I opted for a dust cover lobotomy and removed a good portion of it that yielded a lot of potential room. This leaves very adequate space for HID wiring/connectors, etc as well as the bulk of LED cooling apparatus be it cooling fans/fins or those braided wire strips. The pictures show an unmodified GM Dust Cover and the result after cutting off the back side (top) of the factory dust cover and then a Dremel with sanding drum to finish out the rest. It also helps to true up the plastic drain cover edge by using a sanding block or belt sander, as well as trimming some flash off of the edges and surface with a utility or Exacto blade.

Details - - -

You need to cut about 3/8" off the back side of the factory dust cover. I used my table saw with the blade up about 1" and I just rotated the factory dust cover into the blade with the dust cover open side up against the table saw fence. There should be some curve left to the dust cover after you cut the back side/top off.
Then clean up the edge with a belt sander or file and sand paper. Then trim the dust cover "ribs" down about 3/4". I put 1" blue painters tape (see pictures at bottom of this posting) around the outside of the dust cover for a reference to keep the trimmed rib heights the same. Use a bench grinder or Dremel to do a rough trim of the ribs and finish it with a sanding drum on a Dremel tool.

For the Drain Cap extension you will be adding, your need to "True Up" or evenly trim the edge as much as possible, but don't get carried away. The Drain Cap edge does not usually come with an even and clean factory edge. It's best to belt or block sand it with 100 grit sand paper and just to where the inner groove starts so that there is come thickness left to the edge. When you get to that point then just lightly sand the ragged flash off that edge. Then the Drain Cap will fit snugly but not too tight over the factory dust cover. Picture below - -

Finally, scuff up the inner groove surface of the Prinsco EC03 Drain Cap where glue will be applied inside the added cap as well as the factory dust cover mating surface. Generously apply an even bead of Goop Brand adhesive about 3/8" thick into the Prinsco drain cap inner edge groove. Make sure to have previously scuffed up the upper rounded cut edge of the factory dust cover where the glue will mate from the Dust Cap Extension. Then mate the two pieces and place open end face down to set and cure for 24 Hrs.

In all, the "Custom Dust Cover Extension" cost less than $2 or $3 each plus a little adhesive. I happened to have and recommend some automotive Goop brand adhesive which works well. It adheres well to these plastics. Some adhesives do not adhere well to thermoset plastics.

I recommend the Prinsco brand EC03 cap since I am not sure about others fit or finished appearance.

4" Corrugated Drain Tile External End Cap

Prinsco Corrugated End Cap (Prinsco 1841323), Drain Tiles | Home Improvement | Theisens.com Select 4" Cap . . . not 3".

External End Cap « Prinsco, Inc
NOTE: I need to make a disclaimer. If you do not find this useful and not your cup of tea, that is OK with me. I do not need or want negative critics. I state this because at times, things are not appreciated by some.

Alternative option .. . Stacked GM Dust Cover using cut off GM Cover for the top. Two Pair of GM Part No.23486492 needed for this version.
Thanks . . . Rich's Z71 for his version of this.

Sports gear Helmet Sports equipment Cap Kitchen appliance

Automotive tire Gas Carbon Audio equipment Auto part

Peripheral Grey Automotive tire Input device Automotive design

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice mod!
I mod'd mine to extend another 3/4 inc using the cable connector cap.
This mod looks a lot nicer and more functional as well.
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: GraniteBlue05
#3 ·
Did you have to get the Prinsco Model EC03 3" drain cap directly from them or was there something similar in the bog-box hardware stores?

PS..... after digging over pages upon pages of reviews and opinions about LED bulbs, I went with the ones you listed here. I'll let you know how they turn out when they arrive. :smile2:

#4 · (Edited)
I got the Prinsco caps from a home supply store, Menard's, that has many stores here in the 5 state upper Midwest region. They happen to carry that brand and I liked them because compared to others I've seen, like at Home Depot, they were more uniform in shape and finish. They had a nice flat top on them similar to the factory caps.
Also, the diameter is a perfect fit over the top of the factory dust cover after trimming down those ribs on the factory dust cover about 3/4" inch or so.

I did not check Lowe's, Ace Hardware or other stores. The Prinsco website does have a phone number and perhaps they could tell you of a local supplier.

The LED bulbs I choose were a good price and someone else here also used them so that's why I went with them. There are others that are more costly or even less, and may fit under the standard dust cover without a mod. I wanted more room no matter what after market HID or LED bulbs I choose. I simply wanted more room under the factory dust cover for cooling, room for wires, driver modules and connectors aren't crammed in there and not allowing the best air circulation.

P.S. I also have another set of LED headlights I'm going to try on wife's Equinox with projector halogens. I 'll post my findings when I get them and have time to install.

Reactions: Toughsox
#5 ·
Ok, the LEDs came from Amazon today, and I waited till dusk to put them in. All I can say is DAMN !!!! They light up half the town it seems!!!

I did notice though that the electrical connectors dont seem to lock in place. Did you leave the blue rubber insulators in the plug? It got too dark too fast and the Mrs refused to handle 'flashlight duty" so I will look at them better tomorrow after work. But overall, I am EXTREMELY impressed with the lights you suggested. :wink2:

#6 · (Edited)
Glad you like them. Make sure you check the headlight aim. You will likely have to crank the adjustment down (clockwise) a turn or two so you do not blind on coming drivers. The LED cut off seems to be a bit higher than the halogen. But, yeah, they are bright. I cranked the driver side down about half a turn more than the passenger side. I went to a parking lot that had no lights on one end so I could check them myself head on facing the truck at 50, 75, 100, and 150 feet away. I found I still got excellent light throw even after cranking them down a turn or two and they would not blind oncoming traffic.

I was able to insert the plugs all the way in. They are a bit tight but the tab eventually locked into the spot for the tab. I could see just a bit of the blue gasket even after it locked. That blue gasket compresses quite a bit.

I am hoping for us both that these H11 LED headlights last a decent amount of time. They seem of good quality. If I even get two years out of them I will feel ok. LEDs are improving every year and I think in another 2 years there will be even better ones for a fair price.

#8 ·
does anyone have a link for the Cyclops bulbs. I have an off brand and they are cutting in and out intermittently. kind of annoying. also everyone here has used the dust caps on the back of their bulbs or done a modification so it is relatively easy to make those mods correct?

#9 ·
#11 ·
I'm currently running Hikari h11 leds in the low beam projector but I plan to swap out the projector for the kit from theretrofitsource to upgrade the projector and have heard that they are a direct fit for the colorado but are to long for the canyons housings. Would one think this would solve that issue?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Dust Cover Extension Working well . . .

Well, I've had these dust cover extensions on now since May and working as intended.

Even Summer heat and elevated under hood heat has not proven to affect these. The adhesive is sealing and holding firmly.

No dust, dirt, moisture or insects have caused any issues.

Reactions: wrankin and DRDANO
#14 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting! A great idea and very easy to do. Converted my High Beams to LED and now waiting for the low beams to arrive.

Bill

#15 ·
Glad this helped. It is important to keep dust and mainly moisture/water out of the projector housing. It apparently is not water or dust tight without a dust cover.

Reactions: wrankin
#16 · (Edited)
In case anyone is interested in adding an extension for the stock GM Headlight Dust covers, this is pretty easy to undertake. Nothing fancy, but works well and fits well by just cutting off the top 3/8" or so of the stock dust cover and applying Goop brand (or similar) Automotive Adhesive.

Full info in Post #1 of this thread.

Will give added room for more air circulation for all types of LED or HID retro fit bulbs.

Here are pictures of the stock High Beam dust cover with no modification, and a picture of the modified dust cover on the Low Beam projector for a comparison of how the finished item looks.

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting this. I followed your mod and made a couple small changes. I also made a video if anyone wants to see that:

https://youtu.be/9Ys-jK84sMs

Thanks for the great write-up, it helped me a lot!
Excellent video! And thanks to You for the credit . . I was remiss in providing more detail doing the actual mod. And Menards . . cheap mod, wasn't it?

I am including some pictures for anyone else who happens upon this as well. I actually only cut off about the top 3/8" of the GM Dust Cover so not quite as much as Josh did. If you look at the first 2 pictures below, you can see much more side remaining of the GM Dust Cover. Also, in the last picture, you can see that there still is quite a bit of "curve" left from the domed part of the GM Dust Cover. I then evenly trimmed the "ribs" down about 3/4" or so, still leaving some "dome curve" to the GM Dust Cover. ( Use a Dremel tool or bench grinder).

Key point: By trimming less of the GM Dust Cover off, the corrugated drain cap still fit snugly and no need to trim off the "nubs" . . the 4 "locking" dimples around the sides of the drain cap. The"nubs" then locate above the remaining curve of the GM Dust cover so then do not interfere with a snug fit. I also sanded the corrugated drain cap edge (just slightly) with my belt sander to true it up and provide an even fit to the lobotomized GM Dust Cover.

I also scuffed up the trimmed edge of the cut Factory Dust Cover (as Josh did in the video), but applied a wide bead of the Automotive Goop brand adhesive just to the inside edge of the corrugated drain cap. That way, it left a nice clean finished appearance and still sealed completely.

Josh's Video - - - -

#20 ·
Hey. . they are under the hood and the fit and seal is what is important. Keep us posted as to how the hot melt glue holds up. I was going to use that, but thought it might soften and let go in summer when under hood temps build up. So far the the "Goop Automotive Adhesive " I got from Menards is holding up well. I measured +122F on the dust covers last summer but only checked it a could times. Still not that hot.

#21 ·
Good thread! I'd imagine a 3-D printer could make these, just like stake pocket covers.

Additionally, I wonder what temps the Diode Dynamics LEDs have under the OEM cover vs this mod?

#23 ·
Awhile back a member here started making 3D printed larger dust covers. They cost $70 to make and ship. Several members bought them and some problems developed with proper sealing or porosity of the material?

Anyway, some started getting foggy headlight lenses form condensation and the guy would not refund.

PM sent

Reactions: ChaosTheory
#27 · (Edited)
I just added two additional pictures in the first post for this thread.

They show the dimensions and where to cut the rear factory dust cover off as well as the trim line for the ribs. Very simple using 1" painters or masking tape for keeping a line for the rib trimming.

For cutting off the back side of the factory dust cover, I used my table saw set at about 1" high cut, set the fence so it would remove about 3/8" of the dust cover dome, and then rotated the dust cover around the blade while holding the dust cover up against the fence.
Then I used my belt sander, or file and hand sand paper, to clean up the cut edge. I recommend also using a belt or table sander to true up the black corrugated drain cap edge before gluing to the factory dust cover.

#30 ·
GraniteBlue05 - Thanks for all your info on how to do this mod....I plan on doing it at some point also. When using LED bulbs, have you checked the cover temperatures before the mod and after the mod? It would be interesting to know what difference the mod actually makes.

#31 · (Edited)
I was unable to do that since the H11 LED bulbs I used would not fit under the factory dust cover. So no empirical data on the actual temperature with/without the added extension.
I have measured the temp in summer in 90F weather after a 7 hour drive with the LED headlights on all that time and it ran 122F to 126F on the outside of the dust cover. This is well within the operating range of the LEDs I have looked at and used.

Either way, no matter what LED bulb is used the idea is that more air volume provides more available air to circulate and cool via convection.

Reactions: Bill-O
#38 ·
#39 ·
I read that the Lasfit are decent LEDs. Very bright and good pattern and cut off.

As for fitting under the dust cover, regardless if an LED retrofit bulb fits under the factory cover or not. . . . the idea of the dust cover extension is to give more air space around those LED heat fins. Many LED H11 bulbs will now fit under the factory dust cover, but do so snugly or end up with the dust cover quite close to the back or sides of the factory dust cover inside. That would hinder air flow.

More air volume, more area for air to circulate, better chance of LED bulb lasting its optimum lifetime. :grin:

#43 ·
Just followed the tutorial and all I have left is adhering everything together. Can't wait to put it all together, test for fit and install. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!!!

#44 · (Edited)
A Slightly Different Approach

Thanks to all on this thread for the excellent information. I extended my Colorado dust covers by using another set of stockers. Instead of gluing to assemble the extended covers, I carefully drilled holes on opposite sides and pop riveted them. I also used a large hole saw to open holes in the bottom pieces to about 2&1/2 inches rather than slicing off the tops of the bottom pieces. The Simdevanma LED's from Amazon were employed for high and low beams and I'm delighted with the result. Just to be cautious, I have an extra pair of the bulbs on hand in case of an LED failure.

#51 ·
Well less then a year and with double dust caps my passenger side DD H11 went out this morning.... we will see how their warranty works..... I also have the harness to move DRL's to parking lights and I hardly are ever on the road at night...

#52 ·
Update... just got an email from them and just by looking at the photos I sent ...They said they sent the wrong ones back in June.... I've been running fog light bulbs all this time... they are sending me the correct "headlight" bulbs today.... wow I'm just wondering if the real headlight bulbs will be brighter... the fog bulbs were great to me:grin2::laugh: sent SLF instead of SL1

Oh well anyone can make a mistake.... Happy they took care of the problem in less then 30 mintues thru email... that says a lot about a company ... One happy customer here!!!!!

#55 ·
For anyone who might be interested in an alternative headlight dust cap extension. This allows substantially more room than some other methods and isn't a lot of work if you have the tools and are handy.

Or. . . try Version 2.0 of the dust cover using 2 pair of GM Dust Covers with the top one trimmed of the lip if desired for cleaner look . . .

Also, proceed at your own risk.

I've recently started trying out some LED headlights, just because I enjoy trying out new things that I may find useful. In the process, as many know, the GM projector (and halogen high beams for that matter) have a dust cover over them. When converting to some HID and many LED H11 headlight replacements, the GM dust cover makes for a tight fit if it can be still used at all. So, I endeavored to modify the GM factory headlight dust covers to remedy this.

I wanted a decent looking outcome without spending a lot of cash. After trying various off the shelf "parts", I used the ever helpful process of "thinking outside the box". I purchased 4 GM dust covers for about $9 ea shipped which are used on many new GM vehicles:

Part No.: 23486492 COVER ASM-HDLP BULB ACC

Access Cover - GM (23486492) | GMPartsNow

I purchased these both to have potential spares for my other vehicle or in case I needed a sacrificial prototype. . . In other words, buggered one up. But all went well and I made a couple pair. Of course, you can always just mod the ones your vehicle comes with and save $$. The only other items I needed were the "Custom Dust Cover Extensions" and some adhesive sealant to secure them to the GM dust cover after a bit of manicuring.

I initially tried some smaller diameter extensions and found it too much trouble to implement since the H11 bulb does not sit centered behind the GM dust cover. Therefore, I opted for a dust cover lobotomy and removed a good portion of it that yielded a lot of potential room. This leaves very adequate space for HID wiring/connectors, etc as well as the bulk of LED cooling apparatus be it cooling fans/fins or those braided wire strips. The pictures show an unmodified GM Dust Cover and the result after cutting off the back side (top) of the factory dust cover and then a Dremel with sanding drum to finish out the rest. It also helps to true up the plastic drain cover edge by using a sanding block or belt sander, as well as trimming some flash off of the edges and surface with a utility or Exacto blade.

Details - - -

You need to cut about 3/8" off the back side of the factory dust cover. I used my table saw with the blade up about 1" and I just rotated the factory dust cover into the blade with the dust cover open side up against the table saw fence. There should be some curve left to the dust cover after you cut the back side/top off.
Then clean up the edge with a belt sander or file and sand paper. Then trim the dust cover "ribs" down about 3/4". I put 1" blue painters tape (see pictures at bottom of this posting) around the outside of the dust cover for a reference to keep the trimmed rib heights the same. Use a bench grinder or Dremel to do a rough trim of the ribs and finish it with a sanding drum on a Dremel tool.

For the Drain Cap extension you will be adding, your need to "True Up" or evenly trim the edge as much as possible, but don't get carried away. The Drain Cap edge does not usually come with an even and clean factory edge. It's best to belt or block sand it with 100 grit sand paper and just to where the inner groove starts so that there is come thickness left to the edge. When you get to that point then just lightly sand the ragged flash off that edge. Then the Drain Cap will fit snugly but not too tight over the factory dust cover. Picture below - -

Finally, scuff up the inner groove surface of the Prinsco EC03 Drain Cap where glue will be applied inside the added cap as well as the factory dust cover mating surface. Generously apply an even bead of Goop Brand adhesive about 3/8" thick into the Prinsco drain cap inner edge groove. Make sure to have previously scuffed up the upper rounded cut edge of the factory dust cover where the glue will mate from the Dust Cap Extension. Then mate the two pieces and place open end face down to set and cure for 24 Hrs.

In all, the "Custom Dust Cover Extension" cost less than $2 or $3 each plus a little adhesive. I happened to have and recommend some automotive Goop brand adhesive which works well. It adheres well to these plastics. Some adhesives do not adhere well to thermoset plastics.

I recommend the Prinsco brand EC03 cap since I am not sure about others fit or finished appearance.

4" Corrugated Drain Tile External End Cap

Prinsco Model EC03 3" Drain Cap.

Prinsco Corrugated End Cap (Prinsco 1841323), Drain Tiles | Home Improvement | Theisens.com

External End Cap « Prinsco, Inc
NOTE: I need to make a disclaimer. If you do not find this useful and not your cup of tea, that is OK with me. I do not need or want negative critics. I state this because at times, things are not appreciated by some.

Alternative option .. . Stacked GM Dust Cover using cut off GM Cover for the top. Two Pair of GM Part No.23486492 needed for this version.
Thanks . . . Rich's Z71 for his version of this.

See Detailed Picture at bottom Of Post about cutting off the lower rim/lip of the top GM Dust Cover used in this version of the Mod.

Hi there did you use the EC03 or EC04 (3” or 4”) end cap? Thanks
Cheers!