Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LED Fitment SOLVED in 15 Minutes w/ Pictures!!!

(Keep Reading... Entire Post Edited w/ Pictures)

I converted my 2017 Colorado Z71 to LED's.

I had 9005's in my 2016 Malibu and they will serve me well in the new Colorado.

They are Auto-Feel w/out an annoying fan. They are 6500k and 8000 lumens each. They basically turn night into day(people in the neighborhood love me).

Anyway, these types have a mushroom heat sink and that I can turn around as well for a better fitment on the low beams. High beams needed no such action.

They did not fit under the dust covers on the low beams due to the wire from the back. I needed just another 1/8" of clearance. Everything else fit in the housings.I was just a little, FREAKING ANNOYED at that point cuz of this fact so I reinstalled the halogens(except for the fog lights). Then I started going to hardware stores and other places looking for a solution. I did not want to comletely cut-away the the top of the cover or go for lower powered LED's.

While walking through the Wal-Mart motor oil ailse, it dawned on me that since I only needed that little 1/8", I could use a motor oil cap or better yet the caps off some of my washer fluid bottles(they're foil sealed anyway).

The cut-out on the dust cap isn't perfectly round, the RTV isn't the best looking caulking job, and the caps are still white, but I'll never see it anyway. Plus the washer fluid bottle caps give me another 5/8" clearance.

I hope this will help other who aren't interested in settling for just 4000 lumens so they don't have to modify their dust caps. This whole process took me only 15 minutes and I let the RTV cure over night.

Picture #1 Tools
Dremel
Washer Fluid Caps
Trim Tool or Screw Driver
Adhesive(I used Owens-Corning 732 RTV, Green Tube)
Dust Covers

Picture #2
Auto-Feel LED Headlight Assembly

Picture #3
Normal Heat Sink Position

Picture #4
Inverted Heat Sink Position

Picture #5
Dust Cap Cut-Out

Picture #6
The Uncapped Headlight Housing

Picture #7
Finished Dust Cap

Picture #8
Dust Cap Installed

Attachments

·
Registered
5,016 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
The covers RatRacer linked are very roomy. It allows about any style of LED. Looks OEM.

·
Registered
87 Posts
(Keep Reading... Entire Post Edited w/ Pictures)

I converted my 2017 Colorado Z71 to LED's.

I had 9005's in my 2016 Malibu and they will serve me well in the new Colorado.

They are Auto-Feel w/out an annoying fan. They are 6500k and 8000 lumens each. They basically turn night into day(people in the neighborhood love me).

Anyway, these types have a mushroom heat sink and that I can turn around as well for a better fitment on the low beams. High beams needed no such action.

They did not fit under the dust covers on the low beams due to the wire from the back. I needed just another 1/8" of clearance. Everything else fit in the housings.I was just a little, FREAKING ANNOYED at that point cuz of this fact so I reinstalled the halogens(except for the fog lights). Then I started going to hardware stores and other places looking for a solution. I did not want to comletely cut-away the the top of the cover or go for lower powered LED's.

While walking through the Wal-Mart motor oil ailse, it dawned on me that since I only needed that little 1/8", I could use a motor oil cap or better yet the caps off some of my washer fluid bottles(they're foil sealed anyway).

The cut-out on the dust cap isn't perfectly round, the RTV isn't the best looking caulking job, and the caps are still white, but I'll never see it anyway. Plus the washer fluid bottle caps give me another 5/8" clearance.

I hope this will help other who aren't interested in settling for just 4000 lumens so they don't have to modify their dust caps. This whole process took me only 15 minutes and I let the RTV cure over night.

Picture #1 Tools
Dremel
Washer Fluid Caps
Trim Tool or Screw Driver
Adhesive(I used Owens-Corning 732 RTV, Green Tube)
Dust Covers

Picture #2
Auto-Feel LED Headlight Assembly

Picture #3
Normal Heat Sink Position

Picture #4
Inverted Heat Sink Position

Picture #5
Dust Cap Cut-Out

Picture #6
The Uncapped Headlight Housing

Picture #7
Finished Dust Cap

Picture #8
Dust Cap Installed
Check out my post on the same lights and how hot they get, I made cap extensions useing parts from Lowes, I agree they are bright but heat will be an issue just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check out my post on the same lights and how hot they get, I made cap extensions useing parts from Lowes, I agree they are bright but heat will be an issue just my 2 cents

These are some more pics of my light covers in the middle is the plumbing piece I cut down and glued to the original cap, dremel tool was used to cut off cap end of original and cut off bottom of extension piece, goop adhesive was used to glue prices together hope this helps Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I used the 9005's in my Malibu without any heat issues or problems what soo ever. If any develop, I'll keep everyone posted.

I rarely used the high beams in the Malibu cuz they were plenty bright on the low beam setting. The high/low beams were controlled by a shutter since the 9005 was the only headlight.

I found the other dust cap redesign with cut-off and tile end cap, but I like the headlights I have so I went with my own thing. I really can't see myself changing to another brand/type of LED unless there's a problem.

Plus I like the fact there's no fan to burn up like I've read in posts here.

Thank you for all the helpful hints and tips y'all!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick update, I've had no heat issues with my lights at all.

Also, for those who are looking, I found Sylvania 921 6000k LED's at Advanced Auto Parts. They're $24.99 a pair and have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are still no heat issues or any other issues with my fanless LED headlights or the way I modified my dust cap housings and stuffing the wiring and ballasts down into the headlight housings.

In fact there are no issues whatsoever. Everything is performing perfectly.

The 9005's(currently on my truck) spent over a year in service installed in my 2016 Malibu the same way with no problems.

So, those of you avoiding the fanless LED headlights cuz of "possible" heat issues, there is nothing to fear by going fanless.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Yup. . been running my LEDs since May and in +90F summer temps sometimes for 7hrs straight with my original dust cover mod".

For anyone who might be interested in an alternative headlight dust cap extension. This allows substantially more room than some other methods and isn't a lot of work if you have the tools and are handy.

Also, proceed at your own risk.

I've recently started trying out some LED headlights, just because I enjoy trying out new things that I may find useful. In the process, as many know, the GM projector (and halogen high beams for that matter) have a dust cover over them. When converting to some HID and many LED H11 headlight replacements, the GM dust cover makes for a tight fit if it can be still used at all. So, I endeavored to modify the GM factory headlight dust covers to remedy this.

I wanted a decent looking outcome without spending a lot of cash. After trying various off the shelf "parts", I used the ever helpful process of "thinking outside the box". I purchased 4 GM dust covers for about $9ea which are used on many new GM vehicles:

Part No.: 23486492 COVER ASM-HDLP BULB ACC

I purchased these both to have potential spares for my other vehicle or in case I needed a sacrificial prototype. . . In other words, buggered one up. But all went well and I made a couple pair. Of course, you can always just mod the ones your vehicle comes with and save $$. The only other items I needed were the "Custom Dust Cover Extensions" and some adhesive sealant to secure them to the GM dust cover after a bit of manicuring.

I initially tried some smaller diameter extensions and found it too much trouble to implement since the H11 bulb does not sit centered behind the GM dust cover. Therefore, I opted for a dust cover lobotomy and removed a good portion of it that yielded a lot of potential room. This leaves very adequate space for HID wiring/connectors, etc as well as the bulk of LED cooling apparatus be it cooling fans/fins or those braided wire strips. The pictures show an unmodified GM Dust Cover and the result after using a 1.5" hole saw to cut 3 overlapping holes into the top and then a Dremel to finish out the rest. It also helps to true up the plastic drain cover edge by using a sanding block or belt sander, as well as trimming some flash off of the edges and surface with a utility or Exacto blade. I am also thinking of adding a few ventilation holes with filter media behind them to allow more heat to escape from the bulb housing. The filter media will keep most dust out, but allow air to move through.

In all, the "Custom Dust Cover Extension" cost less than $2 each plus a little adhesive. I happened to have and recommend some automotive Goop brand adhesive which works well. It adheres to most plastics.

I am using some H11 LEDs which I will post here and are working very well. They are the best for the $$ I have found unless I wanted to spend +$80 to $100 or more. And these seem to have both a good low beam pattern as well as lighted distance ahead of the vehicle. There are a few that are slightly better, but then it is in the higher price range as mentioned. I found the H11 LED headlights I used for $35 the pair on 'Zon when they had a coupon price. Normally about $50. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXMIRY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXMIRY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOTE:
By the way. . these H11 LED replacements require no capacitor or other wiring to remedy DRL flickering. They are plug and play.

2017 LED Headlight Reviews: - - -
https://10carbest.com/led-headlights-bulbs
In reading the LED reviews, be mindful that things vary depending on the bulb type they replace. . H11, H16, 9004, 9005, etc. I noticed in the review listed here they use a 9007 replacement. The beam pattern on the H11 LED I bought is much better than shown in this review, and this Simdevanma LED H11 still comes up as #2 in Best for 2017 as tested in this review.

Prinsco Model EC03 3" drain cap.

Prinsco Corrugated End Cap (Prinsco 1841323), Drain Tiles | Home Improvement | Theisens.com

https://www.prinsco.com/prinsco-markets/fittings-accessories/external-end-cap-stormwater/
NOTE: I need to make a disclaimer. If you do not find this useful and not your cup of tea, that is OK with me. I do not need or want negative critics. I state this because at times, things are not appreciated by some.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.