Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me here, this is about to be a doozy.

I picked up a set of LED Headlights and Tails from eBay. 2015-2016 Chevy Colorado Projector Black Headlights+[LED] Smoke Tail Lamps Combo | eBay

They say Eagle Eyes on the lens, but I am pretty certain they are a Taiwanese ripoff.

They say they are H7. The bulbs in them are H7 Halogens. I bought a set of Lightening Dark H7 LEDs from Amazon after seeing people had luck with them here. http://a.co/gNV6RMG

So the headlights come today. I am all excited about installing them on the truck after work (I need something to go right, after 2 disasters yesterday with my kitchen reno) and wouldn't you know it - but the damn bulbs do not fit into the lights. The base convertors do - but the actual bulb body diameter is too large to fit through the hole.

There are impressions in the light body above that say H11/55w, but I thought that was a fog light size?

Has anyone ran into this before? Is it safe to try to drill out the lights to fit the LEDs in, or will I risk shattering a mirror or such in the light? I am going to try to find some smaller bodied LEDs.

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Stock headlight bulbs are H11

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So lesson to be learned here:

Slow down and act like a soon to be 35 year old man and not an impulsive 14 year old with a new XBox. :laugh:

The end cap of the light is threaded. I was able to unscrew it after a bit of effort, and it looked like the light *might* fit. After I took a mill bastard file to the inside of it to clear some burrs, the bulbs were able to be worked in. There is a decent amount of room in the light and behind them with the dust cap on - so fingers crossed it all works well! I will know at 5 when I am off the clock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pardon my filthy beast of a truck! The fit is pretty good. I think I need to adjust the aiming upwards - doesn't seem like I'm getting a lot of reach.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
any luck with the high beams i have the same set and had a hard time getting the low beams in but i was able too. However the high beams i am having no luck. You filed the hole ? how did you not manage to get dust or derbies in the head light ?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Pardon my filthy beast of a truck! The fit is pretty good. I think I need to adjust the aiming upwards - doesn't seem like I'm getting a lot of reach.
Your not getting a lot of reach because, tbh, those are a shitty bulb design. You need to use something that doesn't have that little bubble on the led. The led placement should mimic the filament on a halogen bulb. Something like this: H7 LED Headlight Bulb, CAR ROVER 55W 10000Lumens Plug-N-Play Extremely Bright 6500K ZES Chips Conversion Kit, 2 Years Warranty: Amazon.ca: Automotive

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I would recommend Diode Dynamics but Mike who works for them told me they do not make H7's and not sure if they will...

·
Registered
9,037 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
have you used these bulbs? If so, how do you like them?
I have used them in my Ford Ranger and quite like them. Even though the Ranger has a reflector type headlight, the beam pattern is quite sharp. Nearly identical to a halogen bulb. In the Colorado, with the factory headlights, I used Morimoto 2-Stroke 2.0.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.