Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded the Colorado in. Had some issues with the battery and charging system that I pointed out to dealer. They always said that it was normal.
What will be going wrong next. No more warranty. Now I don't have to worry about it. It was a great place to get info about everything relevant to the truck.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Traded the Colorado in. Had some issues with the battery and charging system that I pointed out to dealer. They always said that it was normal.
What will be going wrong next. No more warranty. Now I don't have to worry about it. It was a great place to get info about everything relevant to the truck.
I think I remember your battery woes. Strange thing happened with mine and my friends Dodge truck too just the other day. Damn batteries just died overnight. No warning no nothing. Dead as a door nail. Also strange is they both were just out of the 3 year warranty, figures right? I think batteries are just plain junk nowadays.
What did you end up buying?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Your dealer support SUX!
Ive been fortunate. I even drained the battery , leaving the ignition key in the on position and it charged up like nothing happened. Im not invalidating your experience, Im saying you should have a no-problem system like the majority of people. Your dealer's lack of support really shows and I don't blame you a bit for bailing.

Wish you luck whatever you do.

·
Registered
169 Posts
“o warning no nothing. Dead as a door nail.” My experience is that all of my car (5) and boat (3) batteries have done that for several years. I asked with my mechanic once. He said that he has discussed with several mechanics the fact that batteries no longer give any warning before dying. They thought that perhaps modern starters will operate at a variable and lower voltage until the lower threshold is reached, near the point where the battery is gone. Interesting theory.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
My last 5 OE GM batteries since 2004 died instantly and just after the warranty.

I am planning to be proactive on my present two next year.

These are no longer the Delco Freedom batteries we used to get great service from. I had one of those go 18 years and I only change it then because I figured I really was pushing it.

Also note many batteries are gel spiral cell. Most of these will not work after they drop below a specific voltage and they will not jump or charge unless they have a specific charger.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I drive my truck almost daily, but the now 2.5 year old battery is showing slight signs of weakness, with a resting voltage of 12.3 after not being used for at least 24 hours. Not terrible, but not fully charged as I would expect either - I would like to see 12.5 volts or so. 12.3 volts at rest equates to about 60% charge. The DIC shows the battery charging normally when I am driving, with a minimum of 12.2 and a max in the area of 14.1

I have a spare Optimate charger left over from a motorcycle that had a lead acid but now has a LI battery. I plug the Optimate into my OEM battery once in awhile and it runs through its testing/desulfate cycle, which takes about 24 hours. The Optimate is a pretty cool smart charger, it basically is basically like going to a spa for a lead acid battery.

My now 90 year old mother had a 25K mile 2000 Buick LeSabre (shocking I know - LMAO) and that same charger kept it's battery alive for 10 years. It's "iron Duke" 3.8 V6 fired right up despite having fuel in it that had been around for an embarrassingly long time. I started driving the car now and then, finally sold it to a friend. It runs great to this day.

The battery in my truck seems a little spunkier cranking a cold engine since I started in with the Optimate therapy. I don't look forward to replacing it as the battery is large, expensive, and has all the crap attached to it. Ugh... Will spend the money and buy a good quality battery when it comes time though.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The 'Iron Duke' was the nickname given to the Pontiac 2.5L 4 cylinder engine from the '70s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Duke_engine
I stand corrected. Grandma's engine is the "3800". The motor runs quite similar to my truck's diesel. It is all about the low end. A perfect Grandma car, prod the gas pedal a little, and then, traffic permitting, coast for about 5 miles. The car is a sled supreme...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
Duken4evr
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing