Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having a problem with leaves accumulating in the front fenders behind the quarter panels? The holes at the top of the fender where the windshield runoff drains are large (2016 Canyon SLE) with nothing to stop the leaves. There is one 3/8" diameter hole at the bottom to drain. I am worried that this will cause a rust problem in the future if not maintained. Are there any after market screens we can put at the top to stop this or do we have to 3D print some pieces?

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Last Summer when I was undercoating I also discovered a huge amount of leaves and debris trapped behind the front fender. Surely destined to rust out the fenders.
I made up screens to trap the leaves and such. I have to clean out the screens every few weeks due to the accumulation.
The frame for the screens are #12 copper house wiring soldered together, with stainless steel screen soldered to the frame. (Stainless doesn't solder well).
I have since acquired some copper screen for revision 2.0 for the screens. (Not done yet)

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last Summer when I was undercoating I also discovered a huge amount of leaves and debris trapped behind the front fender. Surely destined to rust out the fenders.
I made up screens to trap the leaves and such. I have to clean out the screens every few weeks due to the accumulation.
The frame for the screens are #12 copper house wiring soldered together, with stainless steel screen soldered to the frame. (Stainless doesn't solder well).
I have since acquired some copper screen for revision 2.0 for the screens. (Not done yet)
That is a great idea, I was thinking more of a screen insert for the top fender hole but your idea is better as you can clean it out without opening the hood.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Hmm m m.. . great.

First some were reporting pebbles and stones get kicked up and trapped between the outer and inner rear bed sheet metal producing dents and dings.

And now leaves and debris can build up in the lower front fender area.

Looks like annual maintenance is in order for these spots.:serious:

Reactions: KY Red Rock

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am glad I read this. I live in AZ, where rust is not usually an issue, but I wash the Truck almost weekly. Since I live in AZ we look for shade to park under in the summer time. I have a spot at work that dumps leaves, I need to go check to see if they are clogging. I might actually be 'washing them out' each week with the car wash.

I like the little screen idea. Someone should 3d print some up and sell them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Good subject. If we can identify the places like this where debris collects, maybe we can extend the life of these trucks by routine maintenance.
Reminds me of my daughter's previous car a 2004 Mercedes C320. She has pine trees all over her driveway. The pine needles would jam up all the passageways for water to drain off. There were funnel type devices under the hood that had tubes that guided the water down through the engine bay. They would clog all the time. Even the rear window channel would clog. One winter, ice was imbedded around the wiper arms because the water wasn't able to drain off. That killed the wiper motor when the wipers were turned on. So, regular maintenance of cleaning these areas were a must.
The Mustangs from the '60s had problems with the cowels rotting out for the same reason.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good subject. If we can identify the places like this where debris collects, maybe we can extend the life of these trucks by routine maintenance.
Reminds me of my daughter's previous car a 2004 Mercedes C320. She has pine trees all over her driveway. The pine needles would jam up all the passageways for water to drain off. There were funnel type devices under the hood that had tubes that guided the water down through the engine bay. They would clog all the time. Even the rear window channel would clog. One winter, ice was imbedded around the wiper arms because the water wasn't able to drain off. That killed the wiper motor when the wipers were turned on. So, regular maintenance of cleaning these areas were a must.
The Mustangs from the '60s had problems with the cowels rotting out for the same reason.
Thanks for resurecting this thread. Didn't see it the first time. Now I have to check mine!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow, never knew this was a problem. My 99 Grand Prix GTP rotted behind the rocker panels due to a similar situation. When I clean my truck this week I'm going to check out behind the wheel liners.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Wow, never knew this was a problem. My 99 Grand Prix GTP rotted behind the rocker panels due to a similar situation. When I clean my truck this week I'm going to check out behind the wheel liners.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reviving this thread since it's approaching that time of year again. Fall brings with it leaves, pine needles and other debris that may get down into the fender well area spoken about and pictured in Post #1 of this thread. It is an open path to this area and I thought about another possible proactive solution to remedy this.
I also have a lot of trees that drop small seeds in Spring and though I do not park my truck outside very much at all, there is the occasion where I maybe leave it in the driveway a few hours if I am leaving again later.

I had some of this 1.25" coarse pond filter media and seems like a good way to block even small seeds, and pine needles, yet allow water to drain through in the designed manner from the cowl area when it rains or going through a car wash.
This filter material is very coarse and almost see through as you can see in the picture below with the tape measure. It is also very "springy" and remains in place when inserted into the upper fender well cowl area. I cut a piece about 9" wide and 12" long for each fender screen. I then inserted it ( a bit tricky ) into the slot like opening between the inner fender sheet metal and the fender bracket bolt points. I also doubled over the top 3.5" to 4" or so of the filter screen material as I inserted it to provide added thickness and also wedge it snugly in place.

So far, it has accomplished what I wanted to keep debris out and it is easily removed for a quick wash or rinse with the hose if needed.
Anyway, a simple but effective remedy for those who may be interested. The Material is available from Aqua-Flow from several vendors. I found the material direct from Aqua-Flow on Ebay was the best price at under $20 for a 12" X 72" size. I originally purchased a larger quantity for our pond and the price I just quoted is listed for higher prices elsewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x-72-x-...486647?hash=item1c82611c77:g:85gAAOSwpkFY8GHc

16 Posts
Reviving this thread since it's approaching that time of year again. Fall brings with it leaves, pine needles and other debris that may get down into the fender well area spoken about and pictured in Post #1 of this thread. It is an open path to this area and I thought about another possible proactive solution to remedy this.

Having just bought a 2018 Canyon SLT, this thread peeked my interest. Might I suggest a trip to WallyWorld for one of those Green "cut to size" air filters 20x30x0.75 for less than $5.00. I used the dimensions suggested above. One side of the filter has a 3/16" (approx) fiber mesh to maintain its shape. I folded the cut material with the mesh on the outside and put it in the void (as shown) Nothing will get by that filter except air and water! Thanks for the heads up. . .

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Having just bought a 2018 Canyon SLT, this thread peeked my interest. Might I suggest a trip to WallyWorld for one of those Green "cut to size" air filters 20x30x0.75 for less than $5.00. I used the dimensions suggested above. One side of the filter has a 3/16" (approx) fiber mesh to maintain its shape. I folded the cut material with the mesh on the outside and put it in the void (as shown) Nothing will get by that filter except air and water! Thanks for the heads up. . .

You're welcome!
The important thing is that the material is a coarse enough mesh and large enough to cut and fit into the cowl area openings to provide complete coverage so debris doesn't "sneak" by. There is other material that may be coarse enough to keep out leaves, pine needles etc. . . but it is too narrow to do the job. The 20" X 30" size you found provides ample material to completely fill the cowl area void without trying to mess with smaller narrow pieces that might also fall through down into the fender cavity. I checked out several materials and found what actually works verses guessing. ::chevy::

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Screens? Maybe. I pulled the wheel well liner forward and cleaned mine out. Nowadays I keep the truck in a (small) garage so I'm not concerned with continuing buildup.
Has anyone with factory fender flares pulled the fender liner forward to clean the leaves out. Last time I tried, it felt like it was a lot of resistance and would not separate. Did not want to damage the liner or flare.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Has anyone with factory fender flares pulled the fender liner forward to clean the leaves out. Last time I tried, it felt like it was a lot of resistance and would not separate. Did not want to damage the liner or flare.

Good Question. I pulled back the fender liner before I installed the OEM fender flares and it was a bit tight . . got to make sure all the fasteners in that area are removed. They like to hide. . .:wink2:

But I have yet to try loosening and removing the fender liner after the lfares were installed.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,760 Posts

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Good subject. If we can identify the places like this where debris collects, maybe we can extend the life of these trucks by routine maintenance. .
Debris collects . . right in the area of the picture below and earlier in this thread. Upper cowl area . . then it drops down into the lower fender cavity between the fender liner and sheet metal.

Picture below shows where after the fender liner is removed. . . .

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
That is a place for rust waiting to grow.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Debris collects . . right in the area of the picture below and earlier in this thread. Upper cowl area . . then it drops down into the lower fender cavity between the fender liner and sheet metal.

Picture below shows where after the fender liner is removed. . . .

The to do list just got longer. Thanks for posting that pic, that is a lot of crap for a couple of years.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.