Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my 2015 is sitting awfully level... maybe even lower in the back. So I crawled underneath and found W shaped leaf springs. This is on a truck with 55k that has been embarrassingly underworked, with maybe a month total of actually carrying a real load in its life.

I know the first gens did this, and some other heavily loaded second gens have. But especially when not worked hard, I think this is ridiculous. How hard is it to get tech right that has been around since the horse and buggy?

Since I know the power train warranty won’t cover this (although I’ll ask anyway), and I’m not putting the same junk back on just to have it fail, I’m looking for spring options. I havnt found any stock replacements other than cheap parts store or factory. Usually I’d go factory but in this case apparently that isn’t good quality. I’m happy with the factory ride height btw. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
@Fifty just got his custom set of Deaver springs. That and Atlas are sort of our only choices right now and they are not cheap at $600+.

If you just want to bring it back up a little and the springs are not too badly warped you can try a set of AALs.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
some have installed Deaver Brand springs(pricey), I know nothing about them. If you have a spring store in your area they may be able to build you a set

some one just posted a 2015 or 16 that they bought used with springs like that

I just did a quick search and most recommended your local spring store to either rebuild or build a new set,

search, type in what you are looking for right above Hot Deals

my local spring company is saintlouispring

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ohh can you please take a couple of photos to show us the warping? Some of us are starting see the beginnings of the W so I'd like to compare.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thread moved to the suspension section

Please post in the proper sub sections of the forum
Posted under ‘second gen forum’. There were no sub-menus after that. I realize now there are sub-sections further down on the 1st page, but the all encompassing 2nd gen forum title right at the top (at least on mobile devices) is confusing.

Pics to come in the morning! I’ll see if I have a good profile of the rake new vs now too.

Sorry if I made someone else aware of the issue 😕 hate that when you think nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Fifty just got his custom set of Deaver springs. That and Atlas are sort of our only choices right now and they are not cheap at $600+.

If you just want to bring it back up a little and the springs are not too badly warped you can try a set of AALs.
Yeah, saw those and was hoping for more. I’m not willing to modify the existing setup to make it less broke on a relatively new truck. Especially considering how simple leaf springs are. This isn’t flattening, it’s straight up deformation as if the wrong metal/ improper hardening. Seriously how is this even an issue?

I’m apprehensive about local shops in my area. Surprised by the lack of support for these if none of the big names have even made something. Surely now that some of us are getting some miles, and it looks like that will mean lots of replacements, they’ll step up. Hoped they already had.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Yeah, saw those and was hoping for more. I’m not willing to modify the existing setup to make it less broke on a relatively new truck. Especially considering how simple leaf springs are. This isn’t flattening, it’s straight up deformation as if the wrong metal/ improper hardening. Seriously how is this even an issue?

I’m apprehensive about local shops in my area. Surprised by the lack of support for these if none of the big names have even made something. Surely now that some of us are getting some miles, and it looks like that will mean lots of replacements, they’ll step up. Hoped they already had.
In the off-road world Deaver and Atlas are the big names. At least for the Raptor and Tacomo folks. OME/Dakar as well. Aftermarket support has been picking up steam in a big way in the last 2 years so I have a feeling 2019 will continue with new cool products.

It sounds like your only option is to go custom. Personally I wouldn't stick another OEM pack on the truck. Between the clunking and warping I'm not happy with mine either. I'll be contacting Deaver before too long.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
When I had my Ram, my local spring shop built a new set ff the OEM specks and stated they use much better metal and they will not break down, and they did not. I would load the bed with rocks or dirt and the bump stops woulld be resting on the axle(hey just a few miles) and they always returned to normal. I they cost about $200 for the set installed

·
Super Moderator
5,218 Posts
Posted under ‘second gen forum’. There were no sub-menus after that. I realize now there are sub-sections further down on the 1st page, but the all encompassing 2nd gen forum title right at the top (at least on mobile devices) is confusing.

Pics to come in the morning! I’ll see if I have a good profile of the rake new vs now too.

Sorry if I made someone else aware of the issue 😕 hate that when you think nothing is wrong.

It's not that difficult. Post in the proper sub sections please

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Custom springs are the way to go. Problem solved. Have used this company in the past on my 55 Chevrolet. Been in business in Houston, TX since 1924. They do awesome work. Can make them to whatever your liking is.

http://www.heitmancompany.com/

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Custom springs are the way to go. Problem solved. Have used this company in the past on my 55 Chevrolet. Been in business in Houston, TX since 1924. They do awesome work. Can make them to whatever your liking is.

http://www.heitmancompany.com/
That’s not even far from here. Hopefully they’ll be more ‘factory’ in pricing.. only one way to find out. Thank you!!

**edit: called Heitman. No go, they could just add a leaf or order the part. I’m calling around trying to find a local shop but I may have to go to a bigger city to go that route.

Also some pics. It’s easier to see in person, super obvious

Attachments

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have a feeling that they used cheap steel in the factory springs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Similar issue here, I thought it might be from my blocks but I guess it is in the lack of quality steel being used. I will be going aftermarket or local spring shop in the near future.

A41EB843-6D45-4C51-8D3B-7475982B2E37.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Similar issue here, I thought it might be from my blocks but I guess it is in the lack of quality steel being used. I will be going aftermarket or local spring shop in the near future.

View attachment 338971

Has this vehicle every been used for towing or have you ever loaded the bed....your telling me the springs turned into that by following the load capacity labels?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have seen a lot of truck spring looking just like that on the 2nd gen. trucks. Something has to be wrong with the quality of the steel or the arching process. Leaf springs should be able to carry a limited amount of weight and then return to their unloaded height. Something is wrong here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has this vehicle every been used for towing or have you ever loaded the bed....your telling me the springs turned into that by following the load capacity labels?
Truck has 12k miles, mulch is the only thing I’ve had in the bed weight wise. Pull my boat once in the spring and fall, which is under 5k and it set up correctly.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

View attachment 338971

Mine is 55k, but the few times I’ve had it loaded (no towing), I have the weight certificates to verify I was under payload and well under both gvw and gaw. Like I said, this is an embarrassingly underworked truck

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update. Custom made quotes are all in the $600 range.

I had a some places tell me they didn’t have them yet.

One shop quoted $217, when asked if they made them, they said no it’s from their supplier. I imagine that’s probably the same supplier as the factory but who knows. They weren’t forthcoming with info.

Still looking for a local shop, if we have one here

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
17 Participants
zr2bayarea
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing