Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about trying as an experiment a high output electric leaf blower connected to the intake with a power inverter which only activates under WOT, the one I have puts out a 220 mph stream of air, seems like it would be enough to do something? Anybody else ever thought about trying this? Seems like it would be inexpensive way to supercharge the motor, maybe even add a fitting to the tube for NOS and really boost the power?. I'm thinking maybe a flap valve so the engine would normally run off the regular intake until WOT. If more volumes of air were need, I could run twin leaf blowers. If all else fails and this does not work, mount a bunch of leaf blowers under the rear bumper and boost the truck this way, rocket power, possibly add propane fittings to the outlets for the added flame effects, I could wrap the rear bumper in tin foil so it would not melt.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
"STICKY" Redneck D.I.Y. Forum :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
1st of all, airspeed does nothing for you without volume. In other words, the leaf blower's cubic feet per minute (cfm) rating is more important than airspeed. I googled "220mph leaf blower" and found models rated at 360cfm.

lets do some math here:

with a 213.5ci (.12 cubic feet) (3.5l) 4 stroke engine, it will need .06 cubic feet of air per crankshaft revolution. Obviously we want to increase total power, so we will use 6000rpm.

.06 x 6000 = 360

in other words, the blower will supply about as much air as the truck sucks in by itself, and will probably make part throttle response crappy.

maybe they help on smaller engines, but not worth it for a rado.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A leaf blower will only work if combined with a "Tornado" type air intake swirler and a magnet in your fuel line to line up the gasoline molecules properly. You have to keep an eye on your muffler bearings though, because all the boost can cause them to wear prematurely.

-Geoff

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
There is a show called Top Gear and they had an Aerial Atom on there, the air intake was in the middle close to your head and while driving it he said the force of the air being pulled into the intake was pulling his head towards the inlet. he said his neck was sore from having to keep it straight

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
SomeGeoffGuy said:
A leaf blower will only work if combined with a "Tornado" type air intake swirler and a magnet in your fuel line to line up the gasoline molecules properly. You have to keep an eye on your muffler bearings though, because all the boost can cause them to wear prematurely.

-Geoff
Don't forget about a proper ground on the transfusion cuppler between the muffler bearing and modulator valve, or you there will be ESD and you don't want that, especially when you have high speed rotator gear that close to the flux capacitor.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Curt has to be joking...with that many posts i would assume that he knows better to try and "supercharge" his truck with multiple leaf blowers

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Redneck side coming out 8)

Anybody have go-cart with a B&S engine that would like to test this out :lol:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
or mabey a turbocharged gas powered leaf blower to take some dyno runs

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
joshweaver said:
Thats what I'm talking about, it does make sense that it works to a certain degree, but the amount of air needed is massive. So they got 14 extra hp from the vortec v6 in a s10 (similiar in air requirements to our trucks) and then with the n02 about 45 extra hp. This makes sense because its around a 1 hp gas blower they were using. Figure a regular turbo at the speeds it turns probabley draws about 5 hp off the motor and there you have it, plus 70 hp less 5 hp draw, plus 65 hp. So to make a electric blower worthwhile it would have to be a massive electric motor with massive draw from the electrical system of the vehicle, not practical. I just wanted to start a discussion about this, interesting stuff.

Well, I still like the idea of the blower exhaust with the propane gas, if the dealer ever gives me a hard time again, just burn em up :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I think I will send a e-mail to Mythbusters on this seems like they might be interested, and we will get free R&D

·
Registered
167 Posts
there is an intresting one for 300 bucks that seems legit but i'm unsure it could provide any real HP.
look at it and you make the call
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/
looks iffy to me, they have 2 sizes the larger claiming 8% power increase.
I think ill save my mulla for a turbo.
It looks like it could give you that little extra edge though, at the flip of a switch. Also you can mount it to where people arent like "LOL you noob, you have a leaf blower"

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like that e fan does not get a lot more hp than a aftermarket intake.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would think that anything that could lower the vaccume in the intake would increase power by allowing a denser air charge.
However, at some point the engine will be trying to suck more air than the fan can provide which means the fan would become a restrictor plate.
Basically i would like to see someone dyno one on a rado.
There are cheap ones on ebay for like $60, they look suspiscously like leafblower blowers-motors

·
Registered
192 Posts
hook up a leaf blower that has the elect motor took out of it then run a shaft from the internals to run off the belt then theirs youre super charger setup.
even though it wouldnt last long + you would need industrial parts

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
*sighs* Yet another electric supercharger thread. We've been over this 3 times I believe. It won't work. Takes more power than it makes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts