Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

761 - 780 of 794 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
As for years vs miles, a 10 year old truck with 40,000 miles is more valuable than the same truck at 5 years but with 150,000 miles.
With all due respect, I disagree. Logic behind that is that is that to put 150,000 miles on a truck in five years, that's a lot of driving. Most likely highways. I'm going to generalize here, and say "as everybody knows", highway driving is very easy on vehicles. Not like city driving, lots of stops & starts. Highway driving allows the vehicle to reach operating temperature and stay there, smooth & easy.

Conversely, a 10 year old vehicle with only 40,000 miles, that seems abnormally low. Unless you know the entire history of the vehicle, why would you hypothesize that it sat for so long? Maybe somebody drove it for 40,000 miles the first year, then they went to prison and it sat in the yard for 9 years? Or what if it spent 9 of those past 10 years broken down? Unless you're some old geezer who never drives anywhere other than to the corner store and back (no offense, Jerry), there's no way someone can own a vehicle for 10 years and only put 40,000 miles on it (or 8 years/25,000 miles, in your case) unless it's never driven. Never taken out on the highway. Never allowed to warm up or reach operating temperature. You're going to have rust in the exhaust and internal engine parts, dried up seals, the gas will gum up, rubber and plastic parts will dry up and crack, and you'll have all manner of issues just from it sitting so much. I'll let you go ahead and google what happens if a vehicle sits for a long time, trust me, there's lots of info out there. Letting a vehicle sit for years is the worst thing you can do to it. Or maybe they just have six other cars and rotate among them every few months to keep the mileage low. Either way, same issues would still exist.

So to me, the 150,000 miles in five years truck is going to tell me more of it's story. It was probably a fleet vehicle that was maintained, and it's going to have had plenty of miles under it's belt so that all the bugs would have been worked out already. I'd just be awfully nervous about the low mileage truck, get what I'm saying?

In any case, this pedantic ruminating is not helpful to you now. Best of luck with your current vehicle! :) ::chevy::

·
Registered
6 Posts
442 mike, you are certainly correct about what happens to machines that are not used for long periods of time. You'll just have to trust me that this wasn't the case for this truck. I did buy it from an "old geezer" . He was a family friend who's wife had recently passed. He no longer needed two cars, so he was unloading this one.

In any case, I do find this discussion somewhat helpful. My aim is to gauge whether I am out of bounds in looking for some responsibility from GM regarding this particular maintenance issue. I have no desire to gain benefits that aren't rightfully mine.

Open question to anyone: Assuming this truck has not been neglected, am I unreasonable to seek financial assistance in the repair of this truck?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, first time seeing this thread and first time on this board in a years.

This thread has been somewhat helpful reading through, I had the head cylinder replaced under warranty at 52,000 miles. Now, three years later at 96,000 miles, I have another worn valve on a different cylinder and need a new head again.

As the warranty only extended seven years, I am SOL, and after MUCH hassling GM has offered to pay $500 towards the $3k repairs at the dealership. They basically have told me they are doing me a favor because they dont owe me anything. Im guessing they installed the same crappy head back in 2011, causing the same exact issue to happen. My mechanic is going to take care of it for 2200, so I am just going with him.

Im now contemplating if its worth keeping the truck and having the issue happen again in a year or two. Pretty frustrating to buy a brand new vehicle and have the cylinder head replaced twice before 100k miles. Extremely frustrating GM doesnt seem to be even considering this an issue that the second head failed in 40000 miles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
. . . The GM I4 and I5 were junk and the only reason I opened the subject for 2015 is I'll give GM a chance every 10 years, until I run out of time, and that's coming up fast . . .
You are the only person on this forum or the other that deals exclusively with these trucks that has called the i4 and i5 Atlas engines "junk". May be others, but I haven't seen them. Do you base this just on the head issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll throw my two cents.
I am the original owner of a 2006 Colorado Z71 CC with the I5 (5-cylinder).
Nov 2014, it started misfiring at 185,000 miles. This was just before Thanksgiving and ironically, I had picked my new truck up the day after Thanksgiving 2005. Almost 9 yrs to the day.

This was my first real mechanical issue since new aside from wheel bearings and a few other wear and tear items.

They diagnosed a bad exhaust port on cylinder 3.
The dealership charged about 2500 for a new head and fuel rail. They needed the fuel rail to complete the diagnosis on the head and had to overnight that. I had asked about how well the bottom end might be and was told it was a crap shoot, which I rolled and lost.

I drove the 25 miles home and checked the oil the next morning to find it not showing on the stick.
I added oil and drove the 40 miles to work and at lunch, when I started it, there was a huge cloud of oil smoke.
I drove home and was down a quart again.

Back to dealership, where the new diagnosis is that I need a new engine. Cyl 3 losing 60% in leakdown test.
4400 for a used with 12 mo warranty
4900 for used with lifetime replacement warranty
6000 for a new GM engine with 12 mo warranty

That was early December 2014, almost 5,000 miles ago. I have burned about 15 quarts of oil in that time.
The body control module had also been in 'a state' (that I could not get it out of) since they replaced the head. It mysteriously resolved itself in March 2015 after months with no power door locks or driver window. Not the first time I saw this, but it was the first time I could not reset it. Maybe it was just winter!

I am waiting for the 2nd gen to get some real reliability ratings and hoping mine lasts a few more months!

·
Registered
513 Posts
185,000 miles, that's great! Sounds like you "got your money's worth", as they say. Considering it's a known issue, and all. Just FYI, I too, had that "no door locks / no driver's window" issue. It happened off and on since I owned my truck. Usually would flake out if the battery was briefly disconnected, leaving the cables off overnight (or touching them together for a minute) would usually fix. The most recent time it was a no-go with any of the usual fixes, however I replaced the door lock module ($120 at Rock Auto) cured it immediately. Try that! :smile2:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wow, first time seeing this thread and first time on this board in a years.

This thread has been somewhat helpful reading through, I had the head cylinder replaced under warranty at 52,000 miles. Now, three years later at 96,000 miles, I have another worn valve on a different cylinder and need a new head again.

As the warranty only extended seven years, I am SOL, and after MUCH hassling GM has offered to pay $500 towards the $3k repairs at the dealership. They basically have told me they are doing me a favor because they dont owe me anything. Im guessing they installed the same crappy head back in 2011, causing the same exact issue to happen. My mechanic is going to take care of it for 2200, so I am just going with him.

Im now contemplating if its worth keeping the truck and having the issue happen again in a year or two. Pretty frustrating to buy a brand new vehicle and have the cylinder head replaced twice before 100k miles. Extremely frustrating GM doesnt seem to be even considering this an issue that the second head failed in 40000 miles.
Hi Gus, I might be facing the same issue. Had the cylinder head replaced at 6700 miles and at 96000 I'm getting some misfires on cylinder 1. I use the dealer for work that I won't/can't do. A few months ago I had it in and they found the misfire codes on cylinder 1. They swapped the coil and spark plug from that cylinder. I took it back after about 6 weeks or so and some more misfires on cylinder 1 were recorded. I've taken good care of the truck over the years and so I'm considering whether to replace the head but like you am wondering whether I'll have the problem again.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Can someone tell me what the warranty is on the cylinder head for the 2006 I4 Colorado. Mine was replaced once already and the warranty I have on that work expired at 75k miles. TIA

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just bought a 2006 with 118K. Seems to run fine, and I don't know the service history so is there any way of me figuring out if it has had head work done or if I am likely to experience the head issue or other major engine issues? Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,734 Posts
Just bought a 2006 with 118K. Seems to run fine, and I don't know the service history so is there any way of me figuring out if it has had head work done or if I am likely to experience the head issue or other major engine issues? Thanks.
get a carfax report on the vehicle. A head issue will definitely be reported on the vehicle history unless, the previous owner replaced the head on their own.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If not replaced, the 118K survival suggests the engine doesn't have the "problem"... I traded in a cherry 2005 with 25,000. The basic truck in my avatar.. see the dealer cleaned up up nicely and is asking $8K... he may get it and if he does he'll make more on that sale than he did on the 2016 WT 3WD V6 Auto he sold me.

Still, I doubt I could have sold privately for more than $6K and would have had to do some cleaning up first.. truck has nice hub caps, but the steel wheels show through and had rust. Hey, did I hijack the tread? I'll save myself by saying mine still has original I4, never opened and it was a concern to me that the out-of-warranty valve failure might come to bite me.. now it is a matter between the deal and the buying, I'm a free man : )

·
Registered
16 Posts
If not replaced, the 118K survival suggests the engine doesn't have the "problem"... I traded in a cherry 2005 with 25,000. The basic truck in my avatar.. see the dealer cleaned up up nicely and is asking $8K... he may get it and if he does he'll make more on that sale than he did on the 2016 WT 3WD V6 Auto he sold me.

Still, I doubt I could have sold privately for more than $6K and would have had to do some cleaning up first.. truck has nice hub caps, but the steel wheels show through and had rust. Hey, did I hijack the tread? I'll save myself by saying mine still has original I4, never opened and it was a concern to me that the out-of-warranty valve failure might come to bite me.. now it is a matter between the deal and the buying, I'm a free man : )
How did you manage to have a 10 year old vehicle with only 25K? Wow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have read the majority of this thread. I bought an 08 last week not knowing this issue. With that being said I had to take it into the dealer today to diagnose the cel that came on yesterday and sure enough misfire..the truck is sitting at 69,178 miles. Curious does this affect the 08 3.7 and would it still be covered under the 7 year warranty that's mentioned in this thread? The dealership is going to replace the spark plugs free of charge. Should I wait and see what happens afterwards?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
The issue does not affect the 3.7 engines. It occurred in the 3.5 engines and those are the only engines covered by that particular warranty. I doubt that any of the 355s are covered by that warranty, anymore.

You might ask the Dealer what the DTC was, for the misfire. Could be plugs or a defective coil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The issue does not affect the 3.7 engines. It occurred in the 3.5 engines and those are the only engines covered by that particular warranty. I doubt that any of the 355s are covered by that warranty, anymore.

You might ask the Dealer what the DTC was, for the misfire. Could be plugs or a defective coil.
Well that's semi good news.. When I talked to them they just said the code that came up was for the plugs.. I asked for the actual code but they had already processed my paperwork... I'll find out more when I take it in tomorrow for the plug replacement.. I plan on cleaning the TB and mafc along with disconnecting the battery for an hour or so ... Hopefully she runs better.... I have only drove it 159 miles (mostly in town and a little 4hi because of the recent snow) and have already used 3/4 of a tank... That's ridiculous

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
"When I talked to them they just said the code that came up was for the plugs."

-Interesting. I'm not aware of any DTC related directly to the spark plugs.

"I asked for the actual code but they had already processed my paperwork."

-Also interesting. All of the Dealers in my area generate the paperwork using a computer, which they can access, for info, at any time.

Keep us posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So a little update on the truck... The dealership still has it now after 4 days.. They replaced the spark plugs and it was still misfiring on #3 cylinder. They decided to do a valve and head clean with their special cleaner... Still misfiring.. When I stopped in on Friday they were going to do a compression test to see if there was either a leak or the head was cracked... will find out more today... meanwhile they gave me a 2015 Acadia to drive....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feel that I am about to find out why my truck was so cheap: I just bought an '05 with the I5, and knew about the head issues going in but understood they generally only affected low-miles engines (mine has 147K). Clean Carfax, it was a lease vehicle until 2008 so all its services during that period were documented. ~250 or so miles into ownership, it threw a check engine light and is posting the dreaded codes P300 and P304 (random misfire and Cyl 4 misfire), along with some other stuff (PO128 for the thermostat, U1026 T-case communication, PO455 Evap/Emission system leak). My question is, CAN the head issue manifest at such a venerable mileage? And if the head is deemed defective, will GM do the TSB-related work at their expense, or does it cost money? If the latter, does anyone who's been through this know approximately how much it costs (say in the worst-case scenario, if it needed the head replaced)? Please forgive as I haven't read through the whole thread yet. Working my way through it in scraps of time at work, any feedback in the meantime would be appreciated.

Thanks!
SB

761 - 780 of 794 Posts