Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I've undoubtedly missed it, but without a dipstick, how do they determine the fluid level?

This is the video I posted last year sometime. It covers the 8,9 and 10 speed family of transmissions. Interesting that they all take different fluids also if you watch the whole video.
And. . it states the trans must be at a certain temperature range to check the level after a fluid change. Yet, at the assembly line as well as at a dealer, there must be a way the can measure the exact amount. I doubt they would take the time to warm the trans up for all the time it needs to warm up.
I rarely see 122F on the DIC display for my transmission fluid temperature. Even in summer on long +300 miles drives in 90F heat I see maybe the low 130F readings.

I often wonder if there is a cooling or fluid flow issue in some Colorado/Canyons since some here on the forum mention trans temps in from 140F to well over 180F. I think one time when loaded down with cargo in the summer going up and down a series of 4% to 6% grades did I see 140F.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
So here’s my (dumb) question. If the shutter or chuggle show up will it be like a slap in the face? Or more like a slow event that builds up over time? Maybe a better way to put it, will it be like a lightbulb going on and I’ll recognize it right away?

Thanks
Gusto!
You won't necessarily recognize it .... The thing is, the symptoms vary from truck to truck, person to person depending on your driving culture - and why some folks have it and some don't.

My issues started from the day I bought it..... At that time, I thought it was a *GM Thing* and of course...you wait for the truck to get thru the break-in period. Had it in multiple times for a few different software related updates. Everything they did seemed to help but only temporarily. Buying a PC and 89 octane gas to help reduce the annoyance.

2.5 years later - it was bad enough, the dealership replaced the TC

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
My question is....

They don't list 2015-2016 Colorado's or Canyon's in that article.

Soooo.......<scratching head> Does that mean I'll be replacing my newly installed (few months ago) Torque converter in another 2.5 years - kinda like the first one? :serious:

·
Registered
86 Posts
AND? Did you leave with it fixed? Probably. Unfortunately I deal with people like yourself on the daily (service advisor, BMW) that think the whole dealer works around your time as you "wait". Learn to have some patience and be grateful you were able to get the flush done as soon as you did. Techs are paid pros and are not standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting for you to arrive. The "BS" line was most likely due to your impatience and in an attempt to keep you content. If they had to say that you can blame yourself for coming off incredibly impatient that they had to lie to keep you from crying.

Damn son, who do you think pays your salary? It must be hard talking to those paying customers from way up there on that high horse.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Dropping mine off tomorrow morning for this, any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yes tell us if it works from the start and give updates over time. You may help us determine if they finally have figured this out.

Good luck, gyou have a lot of us riding with you on this. :smile2:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Damn son, who do you think pays your salary? It must be hard talking to those paying customers from way up there on that high horse.
Common courtesy is harder and harder to find today, entitled customers, I'm presuming you're one as well, make someone's job harder and more unpleasant than it needs to be. Because YOU dont understand how long things take doesnt mean you can be rude, the food taking too long isnt the waitresses fault, etc etc

·
Registered
42 Posts
No high horse here other than my ZR2s lift, son. I'm no better than the next guy, however there sure are people that need their hands held and over time you start to look at the world and go wow. How did we get to a point that the men of the world whine and complain when a vehicle is not finished at a time THEY think it should be.

·
Registered
311 Posts
But drama aside (for a sec at least lol) has anyone had this done ? Am I the first LGZ getting a shudder repair done ? Anything I should be wary to ask the service techs before handing them the keys?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
This is the video I posted last year sometime. It covers the 8,9 and 10 speed family of transmissions. Interesting that they all take different fluids also if you watch the whole video.
And. . it states the trans must be at a certain temperature range to check the level after a fluid change. Yet, at the assembly line as well as at a dealer, there must be a way the can measure the exact amount. I doubt they would take the time to warm the trans up for all the time it needs to warm up.
I rarely see 122F on the DIC display for my transmission fluid temperature. Even in summer on long +300 miles drives in 90F heat I see maybe the low 130F readings.

I often wonder if there is a cooling or fluid flow issue in some Colorado/Canyons since some here on the forum mention trans temps in form 140F to well over 180F. I think one time when loaded down with cargo in the summer going up and down a series of 4% to 6% grades did I see 140F.

https://youtu.be/dPrP4NQZg6w
Thanks for posting!! There's a bunch of good info in there, plus some things I didn't know. I had no idea the differential in the Camaro used trans fluid from the transmission for lubrication! Very interesting!

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
My question is....

They don't list 2015-2016 Colorado's or Canyon's in that article.

Soooo.......<scratching head> Does that mean I'll be replacing my newly installed (few months ago) Torque converter in another 2.5 years - kinda like the first one? :serious:
The 2015-2016 models fall under TSB #18-NA-145. Calls for a different repair procedure, a re-programming of the ECM/TCM. Not a torque convertor or fluid type change. Instead of Shutter, the complaint is referred to as Chuggle, on the 15-16 6 speed.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Thanks for posting!! There's a bunch of good info in there, plus some things I didn't know. I had no idea the differential in the Camaro used trans fluid from the transmission for lubrication! Very interesting!
I noticed that in the video, there were hydraulic lines running up front to the transmission cooler and from the transmission to the rear differential. New technology, I guess.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Common courtesy is harder and harder to find today, entitled customers, I'm presuming you're one as well, make someone's job harder and more unpleasant than it needs to be. Because YOU dont understand how long things take doesnt mean you can be rude, the food taking too long isnt the waitresses fault, etc etc

Today people have lost their common courtesy in too many cases. It is all about entitlement, instant gratification and what can I get away with for too many people.

Not saying some could improve their level of service but some customers also could use a bit of adjustment too.

What many of them do not realize is with computers note are taken and kept. Behavior is recorded and at time service is rejected by some companies. It is usually only the extreme cases but it does happen.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
This thread has done turned into a mud slinging contest. It has lost the credibility for helping the OP with his concern. Sad to see that happen.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
This thread has done turned into a mud slinging contest. It has lost the credibility for helping the OP with his concern. Sad to see that happen.

Yes. . . . agree. Some like to editorialize on nearly everything. Back on topic, my closest local dealer does not yet have the new trans fluid change machine, but interestingly enough, does have the new fluid. Go figure.
I checked with several other area dealers and 3 of them have both the machine and the new fluid. I did not ask how many trucks they may have waiting for the new flush and fill service.
So far, my 2017 8 speed is behaving since new 2 years ago today.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The 2015-2016 models fall under TSB #18-NA-145. Calls for a different repair procedure, a re-programming of the ECM/TCM. Not a torque convertor or fluid type change. Instead of Shutter, the complaint is referred to as Chuggle, on the 15-16 6 speed.
Yes.... Been there done that. I have a new torque converter.

Back to my original question... is the new fluid already in my new torque converter? There’s no mention on my paperwork that states what fluid it has.
Will this new TC be giving me issues 6 months from now?

I will ask them the next time I’m in.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts

Back to my original question... is the new fluid already in my new torque converter? There’s no mention on my paperwork that states what fluid it has.

Looks like you have a 2016 model. You should NOT have the new HP ATF LV, low viscosity fluid. Yours should have the Dexron VI ATF, either the 88861037 synthetic blend or the 88865549 full synthetic fluid. Either are approved for our 6 speed. I have a 2016 Colorado. They probably used Bulk oil from a 55 gallon drum in yours, and they will not reference a part number, unless they pull the fluid from the parts department, then they Should reference a part number. With you having a 2016, you are trying to fit in with this thread which is really dealing strictly with 2017 and newer 8 speed only Shudder. Just be blessed that you do not fit into this problem. Our Chuggle was a whole lot easier to correct. Your truck should fall into the TSB #18-NA-145. The 17 and newer guys have serious problems. Most of them trucks probably have glazed TQ clutches due to running incorrect fluid from the factory. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts

You have a completely different trans and TC vs the 8spd, so the new or old fluid in this thread will have no bearing on your issue, because it may be a different spec fluid used all together. You had a one off circumstance with your 6 spd torque converter, that just happened to feel the same for you to relate to the 8spd, but is a different situation entirely.

41 - 60 of 326 Posts
About this Discussion
325 Replies
107 Participants
hyperv6
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing