Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes the procedure is pretty specific on the trans flush as to method, equipment and fluid. Thanks to another member for posting these files which are the actual TSBs with the procedure outlined for different vehicles.

View attachment 335861

View attachment 335863
I didn't see anywhere in the procedure where it said to heat up the fluid before pumping it in... I guess the service manager was feeding me a line (of BS) when he came in the waiting room to apologize about it taking so long to service my transmission (I was there 4 1/2 hours).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Awsome info, thanks for sharing, I was talking to a dealer, the dealer I bought colleen told me theres no official fix, even though I read a TSB (I cant find the number if anyone has the TSB number for the 18 colorado its be very helpful to me) claiming replacing the torque converter is required, called another dealer and they told me the precious dealer simply doesnt want to do the job, if I can prevent that job itd be awsome.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
I didn't see anywhere in the procedure where it said to heat up the fluid before pumping it in... I guess the service manager was feeding me a line (of BS) when he came in the waiting room to apologize about it taking so long to service my transmission (I was there 4 1/2 hours).
Yes the amount of BS out there is ridiculous. Knowing more than most at the dealership is where you want to be.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Yes the procedure is pretty specific on the trans flush as to method, equipment and fluid. Thanks to another member for posting these files which are the actual TSBs with the procedure outlined for different vehicles.

View attachment 335861

View attachment 335863

Thank you for posting this info here also.

::chevy::Good to have the actual TSBs. ::chevy::

·
Registered
511 Posts
They only address the issue if you are actually complaining about it. So....do you have the shudder, the chuggle, or both?
I have an 18 so it would be the shudder. It's just so random, that I doubt they will find it. People here say it gets worse, so maybe I'll wait until it is an all the time problem.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have an 18 so it would be the shudder. It's just so random, that I doubt they will find it. People here say it gets worse, so maybe I'll wait until it is an all the time problem.
It may seem random, but if you pay attention to when it happens, I'll bet you can get it to perform on cue. Mine would do it on any moderate grade with mild acceleration from 35mph. Dealer and I went for a test drive and sure enough, found a stretch of road that met that criteria (not difficult to do unless you live in Nebraska maybe) and the trans performed it's little shimmy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It may seem random, but if you pay attention to when it happens, I'll bet you can get it to perform on cue. Mine would do it on any moderate grade with mild acceleration from 35mph. Dealer and I went for a test drive and sure enough, found a stretch of road that met that criteria (not difficult to do unless you live in Nebraska maybe) and the trans performed it's little shimmy.
Yes this is very true. I did not notice mine shuddering except maybe once in a while during the first 500 miles while I was breaking it in, which I attributed to bad road surface. That's because during break in the method I use at least is no one steady RPM/speed for any length of time. So after 500 miles or so I was cruising at about a steady 50 MPH around 1300-1600 rpm and sure as hell light acceleration would cause the shudder to start and about 1900-2000 rpm its gone. As Tom S said I can get it to do it on cue now. Sad part is the shudder is right in the 40-55 MPH area where you will frequently drive.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
When reading the TSB flush procedure, I noticed that there was no pan drop. With this, I can see stirring up all the gunk from the bottom of the pan when the flushing is done and forced back thru the valve body.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes this is very true. I did not notice mine shuddering except maybe once in a while during the first 500 miles while I was breaking it in, which I attributed to bad road surface. That's because during break in the method I use at least is no one steady RPM/speed for any length of time. So after 500 miles or so I was cruising at about a steady 50 MPH around 1300-1600 rpm and sure as hell light acceleration would cause the shudder to start and about 1900-2000 rpm its gone. As Tom S said I can get it to do it on cue now. Sad part is the shudder is right in the 40-55 MPH area where you will frequently drive.
It is in that 1,500 to 1,700 RPM range but it also seems to be dependent on the trans temperature. I just don't seem to hit those ideal shudder conditions very often.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is in that 1,500 to 1,700 RPM range but it also seems to be dependent on the trans temperature. I just don't seem to hit those ideal shudder conditions very often.
The shuddering with my truck started as you just described but then got worse fairly quickly-- possibly due to the shudder progressively glazing the surface of the TC clutch.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
When reading the TSB flush procedure, I noticed that there was no pan drop. With this, I can see stirring up all the gunk from the bottom of the pan when the flushing is done and forced back thru the valve body.

Possibly, but many have less than 5,000 or even less than 1,000 miles on the transmission. Not likely to be much gunk in there I would think.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sorry, what do you mean by "those ideal shudder conditions"? The shudder occurs once the trans has reached operating temperature, like after about normal driving for 5 minutes in 30F weather. Not sure what you are referring to? This is a low operating temperature.

If you consider "ideal shudder conditions" as everyday driving, then yes those are the conditions it occurs. Sad but another case in denial...GM this is getting out of hand!!!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Very valid point, even on a new truck where manufacturing remnants could be present. I'd talk to the dealer first and ask if they would be replacing the filter and cleaning out the pan. If not, it would be worth it to pay to have it done (unless the fluid is available for the DIY). Cheap insurance, IMHO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
AND? Did you leave with it fixed? Probably. Unfortunately I deal with people like yourself on the daily (service advisor, BMW) that think the whole dealer works around your time as you "wait". Learn to have some patience and be grateful you were able to get the flush done as soon as you did. Techs are paid pros and are not standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting for you to arrive. The "BS" line was most likely due to your impatience and in an attempt to keep you content. If they had to say that you can blame yourself for coming off incredibly impatient that they had to lie to keep you from crying.

·
Registered
80 Posts
AND? Did you leave with it fixed? Probably. Unfortunately I deal with people like yourself on the daily (service advisor, BMW) that think the whole dealer works around your time as you "wait". Learn to have some patience and be grateful you were able to get the flush done as soon as you did. Techs are paid pros and are not standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting for you to arrive. The "BS" line was most likely due to your impatience and in an attempt to keep you content. If they had to say that you can blame yourself for coming off incredibly impatient that they had to lie to keep you from crying.
Sir, I was glad to find a dealer who could do the service and I never complained to anyone there, or left the waiting room. And I only reported here what was told to me by the Service Manager. You're assumptions are baseless, and perhaps best kept to yourself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It does say in the new TSB instructions that the trans has to be up to full temp to do the test for the shudder and to set the final fluid level.

21 - 40 of 326 Posts
About this Discussion
325 Replies
107 Participants
hyperv6
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing