Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

341 - 360 of 423 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Best to get the dealer do it correctly and on their dime.
This is as believable as "Read my lips. No new taxes." was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no certain answer to your question. You say you could wait another year. There is no transmission changes planned for the Colorado/Canyon but it is said as of march they all come with the new fluid. Will this permanently fix the problem? No one knows at this point. More than not say it fixed theirs so far. You should go with what type vehicle you decide you like and if you have any problems thats what your factory warranty is for. And if its out of factory warranty the powertrain warranty is for if powertrain related. And if still a concern take out an extended warranty like I did on my new Colorado.
I understand what your saying. The worrisome part is that Honda went through this over 10 years ago and also went through the period of changing TC until they realized that was not resolving the issue. Tranny maintenance takes care of the issue for a long time and better than anything else.

GM appears to be going down a similar path now and also went down the replace TC path too. I could deal with having a fluid change every 60,000 miles resolve or make this issue not even happen, but that does not appear to be the case here. Correct me of I am wrong-which I hope I am.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
It would cost you less to pay for the service at a dealer, but if you wanted to do a full exchange, you want the block assembly from this kit:

The BOSCH fluid pump machine is not necessary for a DIY, It meters the quantity being replaced so you don't have to measure anything, but a DIYer can do that themselves. Also the machine needs a compressed air source like a compressor. Just don't let the pump run dry.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Is this something that I should hold off on and see if there are improvements in future versions of the tranny from GM? The Honda still runs fine and I could likely wait another year.
Its been said that all "New" 'Rados have the new fluid. As long as you buy a new truck, you should be fine.
Its easy to read all this negative stuff and get all worried. These are the minority. The guys with the perfect trucks are not going to the forums looking for solutions to problems they don't have. I often wonder why there are only a handful of really active members here when there are thousands of twins out there. I guess most folks aren't interested unless they have a problem to research.
I may be one of the fortunate ones; my M5T has been perfect. I did start by swapping out fluid on my own from 5K and on which may have made a difference.
In reality, If I was going to get the shudders, I would have seen them within that first 5K
Reading this forum got me worried so I did it anyway. Also, I like replacing fluids after break-in.
I think the shudder issue is nipped in the bud.
Buy with confidence. I love my 'Rado.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its been said that all "New" 'Rados have the new fluid. As long as you buy a new truck, you should be fine.
Its easy to read all this negative stuff and get all worried. These are the minority. The guys with the perfect trucks are not going to the forums looking for solutions to problems they don't have. I often wonder why there are only a handful of really active members here when there are thousands of twins out there. I guess most folks aren't interested unless they have a problem to research.
I may be one of the fortunate ones; my 5MT has been perfect. I did start by swapping out fluid on my own from 5K and on which may have made a difference.
In reality, If I was going to get the shudders, I would have seen them within that first 5K
Reading this forum got me worried so I did it anyway. Also, I like replacing fluids after break-in.
I think the shudder issue is nipped in the bud.
Buy with confidence. I love my 'Rado.
Very true about seeing all the negative. I was just hoping to leave this issue behind me as both my Honda based vehicles had the issue. First was a used MDX that the dealer replaced the TC twice and then the used Ridgeline which I have controlled myself with a few fluid changes. Its become evident that the shudder on a Honda isnt detrimental as long as you take care of it and dont let it linger.

Glad to hear that your 'Rado is problem free.

A little off topic but also a tranny question. 2 weeks ago I test drove a new '19 Canyon All terrain for my better half as she was looking to get out of her 11 year old Avalanche. It seemed to downshift hard from 2nd to 1st a few times when coming to a stop. That was in my head but I didnt really address it at the dealer as she also wanted to test drive a Sierra AT4-which she bought that day-no surprise as she likes the full size vehicles over midsize. Awesome truck that I would love to have as well but we dont need 2 beasts.

Is this normal operation or could it have been an issue with that Canyon?

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Very true about seeing all the negative. I was just hoping to leave this issue behind me as both my Honda based vehicles had the issue. First was a used MDX that the dealer replaced the TC twice and then the used Ridgeline which I have controlled myself with a few fluid changes. Its become evident that the shudder on a Honda isnt detrimental as long as you take care of it and dont let it linger.

Glad to hear that your 'Rado is problem free.

A little off topic but also a tranny question. 2 weeks ago I test drove a new '19 Canyon All terrain for my better half as she was looking to get out of her 11 year old Avalanche. It seemed to downshift hard from 2nd to 1st a few times when coming to a stop. That was in my head but I didnt really address it at the dealer as she also wanted to test drive a Sierra AT4-which she bought that day-no surprise as she likes the full size vehicles over midsize. Awesome truck that I would love to have as well but we dont need 2 beasts.

Is this normal operation or could it have been an issue with that Canyon?
All I'll say is there are many mentions of this down shift clunk on these trucks lately, especially for '19. I am inclined to think it will be resolved with a program. If it is a light shift clunk, I would ignore it. If its a harsh clunk, I'd get it fixed. I have minor shift bumps while decelerating too, but I wont go running to service for minor things that are probably harmless. These transmissions can take a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1st post here as I have been researching Colorado and Canyon to eventually replace my 2009 Ridgeline.

At 205K miles the Ridgeline has been flawless with only issue I have had is the Honda TC shudder which is taken care of by a fluid change that will last 50K miles or more.

At over 200K, its not quite going away any longer but I cannot complain as this vehicle owes me nothing and I have zero interest in the new Ridgeline.

This issue here is worrisome in that the GM issue appears to happen at severely earlier miles, and no one really knows what the issue is or if the fluid is the issue or not. My take on the Honda is the partial lockup and alloing a bit of slippage in the TC clutch burning the oil over time which is why the fluid change resolves the issue for so long.

Is this something that I should hold off on and see if there are improvements in future versions of the tranny from GM? The Honda still runs fine and I could likely wait another year.
I would definitely hold off until they replace the junk 8 speed. Even then I’d wait to see how bad they screwed up it’s replacement. Based on the recent experience I’ve had with a GM dealer I’d seriously consider some other brand. I really like my Colorado but the tranny issues and the total lack of customer support just might mean I’ve bought my last GM product.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My truck started the shudder at 800 miles. Triple flush was completed and the problem went away until around 1,200 miles. The triple flush was completed again with the new fluid from GM. The problem went away but now I have a bad slip from 1st to 2nd gear in the mornings and putting the truck under any load the transmission feels as though it is surging trying to push through the load. I can push the gas to get it to shift a gear or two and it goes away. Im at 14,000 and it will head back to the shop for the 4th time hopefully next week. I took it a month ago but the tech said he couldnt re-create the problem. After another try and no remedy I will start the lemon law process.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My truck started the shudder at 800 miles. Triple flush was completed and the problem went away until around 1,200 miles. The triple flush was completed again with the new fluid from GM. The problem went away but now I have a bad slip from 1st to 2nd gear in the mornings and putting the truck under any load the transmission feels as though it is surging trying to push through the load. I can push the gas to get it to shift a gear or two and it goes away. Im at 14,000 and it will head back to the shop for the 4th time hopefully next week. I took it a month ago but the tech said he couldnt re-create the problem. After another try and no remedy I will start the lemon law process.
Remind us (me) again what year your truck is, and if made in 2019, was it after March?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't see anywhere in the procedure where it said to heat up the fluid before pumping it in... I guess the service manager was feeding me a line (of BS) when he came in the waiting room to apologize about it taking so long to service my transmission (I was there 4 1/2 hours).
Actually I seen information stating the proper way of doing this is to heat the fluid.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My dealership said they had the fluid in the machine warmed up ready to do my 2019 when I took it in to have the new fluid put in due to shutter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Went to the dealer yesterday and the transmission tech drove my truck and was gone for 2 mins. Came back and said it was the transmission shudder so now this will be the 3rd time they flush the transmission in 13,000 miles. They mentioned a new fluid since the last fluid came out in January. Anyone know about a new fluid again?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Went to the dealer yesterday and the transmission tech drove my truck and was gone for 2 mins. Came back and said it was the transmission shudder so now this will be the 3rd time they flush the transmission in 13,000 miles. They mentioned a new fluid since the last fluid came out in January. Anyone know about a new fluid again?
Nope thats the last one theirs a tsb about and haven't read any where of now another new fluid.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Took my truck (2017 Canyon SLE 4-cylinder) to the dealership last week complaining of what I thought was the transmission shudder. Told them it made an awful racket right before each time it was to shift into the next gear. Without driving it they stated its probably the transmission shudder (which is what I reported it probably was when I made the appointment) and with no questions asked they wrote up the ticket and kept my truck to do the fluid replacement.

Of note is that I asked them if this was only happening on the Colorado and Canyon models. To my surprise they said no - that it was happening on the Silverado and Sierras which had the 8-speed transmissions. They were skeptical that it was the "moisture" problem in the sealed system but that they were doing this work in compliance with GM's recommendations.

Now, to the bad part and my question: I have a vibrating metalic rattle coming from under the truck that is driving me crazy. I don't hear it when I'm aggressively on the accelerator, but I do when I'm driving normal for me. It almost sounds like a bracket has come loose under the trucker and that whatever it was holding is rattling. Any thoughts? Any similar issues?

Frankly I'm getting tired of taking my still-under-warranty truck in. This will be the third time I've brought it in for warranty work (1. Ignition keylock issue; 2. transmission issue; 3. now this). Any insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Took my truck (2017 Canyon SLE 4-cylinder) to the dealership last week complaining of what I thought was the transmission shudder. Told them it made an awful racket right before each time it was to shift into the next gear. Without driving it they stated its probably the transmission shudder (which is what I reported it probably was when I made the appointment) and with no questions asked they wrote up the ticket and kept my truck to do the fluid replacement.

Of note is that I asked them if this was only happening on the Colorado and Canyon models. To my surprise they said no - that it was happening on the Silverado and Sierras which had the 8-speed transmissions. They were skeptical that it was the "moisture" problem in the sealed system but that they were doing this work in compliance with GM's recommendations.

Now, to the bad part and my question: I have a vibrating metalic rattle coming from under the truck that is driving me crazy. I don't hear it when I'm aggressively on the accelerator, but I do when I'm driving normal for me. It almost sounds like a bracket has come loose under the trucker and that whatever it was holding is rattling. Any thoughts? Any similar issues?

Frankly I'm getting tired of taking my still-under-warranty truck in. This will be the third time I've brought it in for warranty work (1. Ignition keylock issue; 2. transmission issue; 3. now this). Any insight would be helpful.
I know you said the rattle is coming from under the truck. Does the metallic rattle sound sometimes sound like it could also be coming from one of your b pillars (near your ear level around the seatbelt adjuster). The reason I ask is that many owners including my self are plagued with an annoying “b pillar” rattle for which there is no definitive solution.

341 - 360 of 423 Posts