Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

301 - 320 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sorry, brand new poster here. I will preface this by saying "I know I am on Coloradofans.com" but I didn't want to get inaccurate information and I trust I will get good information here. Here is my dilemma, I am about to dump a Nissan with transmission issues, I really want to get into a truck... initially I was super pumped about a Tacoma and then started doing research on the ZR2 and I test drove the gasoline version. Aside from the interior I think I am a pretty big fan.

Looking at these forums is this "shutter, or chugg" issue still a problem or is the new transmission fluid looking like a fix? I seriously don't want to get into another vehicle with issues, the resale value on the Tacoma and the "reliability" has me already on the fence.

Just looking for honest opinions about the transmission issue here and general buyers remorse. I really want to give chevy my money.

Edit: Test drove the gasoline version, but definitely gonna find a Duramax, if this makes a difference.

Edit2: And whats up with the seats tearing???!?!
The Duramax has a good ole 6 speed paired to it, completely different tranny and no crazy common issues like the shudder/chuggle, and the new trucks come with the new mobile1 ATF already installed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Sorry, brand new poster here. I will preface this by saying "I know I am on Coloradofans.com" but I didn't want to get inaccurate information and I trust I will get good information here. Here is my dilemma, I am about to dump a Nissan with transmission issues, I really want to get into a truck... initially I was super pumped about a Tacoma and then started doing research on the ZR2 and I test drove the gasoline version. Aside from the interior I think I am a pretty big fan.

Looking at these forums is this "shutter, or chugg" issue still a problem or is the new transmission fluid looking like a fix? I seriously don't want to get into another vehicle with issues, the resale value on the Tacoma and the "reliability" has me already on the fence.

Just looking for honest opinions about the transmission issue here and general buyers remorse. I really want to give chevy my money.

Edit: Test drove the gasoline version, but definitely gonna find a Duramax, if this makes a difference.

Edit2: And whats up with the seats tearing???!?!
First welcome to the forum !
Realize, that automotive forums have a tendency to attract more often posts and threads many times only After someone has a problem. So going by what is posted is often skewed in the negative direction with no idea or number of how prevalent a problem is.
That said, the fact that GM has had a TSB repair procedure and/or fluid change indicates there was and issue.
I can say I've owned our 2017 Colorado LT with the 8 speed transmission and driven it for 17,000 miles with no apparent issue. Also, since March of 2019, any truck with the 8 speed has the new Mobil 1 fluid that resolves the issue.
There are many of us here who have testified that we have not had any "shudder" issues with the 8 speed. And, GM will authorize a fluid replacement for any pre March 2019 trucks to have the fluid replaced if a customer states they have had a shudder of any sort within the vehicle speeds listedin the TSB while it is driven.
Also, there is the standard drive train warranty which also would cover any issue should it arise.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the input. 6 speed automatic diesel having this issue?
In my first reply to you I had mentioned there are no common issues with that transmission and theyre not known for shudder or chuggle. However I would search the forums so you can see any posted complaints or issues for some peace of mind

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Thanks for the input. 6 speed automatic diesel having this issue?
Not any recurring issues I've seen, but some typical one off's. The early gas 6 spds had less than desirable programming, but that has been addressed for somebody that doesn't care for it, if they ask.
The seat tearing issue is with the Z71 seats, which some tear at the seam, for whatever reason (bad batch of pleather?). They replace it, if it occurs. It happened on mine, and the replacement material seems different (better) .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve seen a few of the threads concerning shutter or chuggle. My truck is running fine so I tend not to look for problems I do not have. It’s a balancing act to stay between being a hypochondriac or ignorance is bliss type of person. But I do like to be aware of known issues. One of the many reasons I enjoy this site is the education I get from it.

So here’s my (dumb) question. If the shutter or chuggle show up will it be like a slap in the face? Or more like a slow event that builds up over time? Maybe a better way to put it, will it be like a lightbulb going on and I’ll recognize it right away?

Thanks
Gusto!
You'll know when it happens. It's very obvious.
I just dropped my truck off today and mentioned the shudder / bucking etc. and the guy said we need to keep it for the day. We are going to flush the tranny and put in different fluid. I'll post once I get it back and "beat" on it a little to let you know if the fluid change works.
- G

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I see this is your first post. Hell of way to introduce yourself. Hopefully they’ll get it fixed and no more issues.

Go to the new members area and introduce yourself. Post a few pics of your ride as well.

Welcome!
Gusto!

·
Registered
280 Posts
You'll know when it happens. It's very obvious.
I just dropped my truck off today and mentioned the shudder / bucking etc. and the guy said we need to keep it for the day. We are going to flush the tranny and put in different fluid. I'll post once I get it back and "beat" on it a little to let you know if the fluid change works.
- G
Glad you joined. Theres a lot of info you can get from this forum and contribute. And no introduction required. Theres all lot here that are willing to help without formality's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Long time lurker of the forum but I felt I should join this thread. I have a 2018 Colorado that I bought used with about 20,000 miles on it. It had the shutter when I bought it and I had the flush done in March of this year and I have since put 5,000 miles on it. Unfortunately I feel the shutter starting to come back. Not near as bad as it was when I purchased the truck, but it's there. I also have the hard 2-1 downshift. In my situation, I have no idea how long the truck was driven with the shutter and I feel that there may have been damage done to the TC. I love this truck so I hope the problem gets fixed permanently.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ok Here's the latest on my saga,, They have had my truck over 3 weeks now. Guess I am not top priority ,but I do have a loaner car.

They shimmed the rear leaf springs saying that was my problem. Then the tech drove my Truck home and back. Guess after the ride home he noticed the shudder and finally flushed the transmission, guess he felt more shudder after the flush and wants to drive it home again on Monday..

So at this rate I should have it back next week late ?? Maybe??

Maybe next its the Torque Converter??

I posted this on the other shudder thread too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok Here's the latest on my saga,, They have had my truck over 3 weeks now. Guess I am not top priority ,but I do have a loaner car.

They shimmed the rear leaf springs saying that was my problem. Then the tech drove my Truck home and back. Guess after the ride home he noticed the shudder and finally flushed the transmission, guess he felt more shudder after the flush and wants to drive it home again on Monday..

So at this rate I should have it back next week late ?? Maybe??

Maybe next its the Torque Converter??

I posted this on the other shudder thread too.
Although it's nice they seem to be working towards a fix, 3 weeks is crazy long. I think after a combined 30 days at the dealership for the same issue it qualifies for a buy back.

I have had the flush and a TC replacement, total time at the dealership, 3.5 days. A half day for the flush/fill and 2.5 days for the TC (one of those days was waiting for the part). I too had a loaner (2018 Silverado). They apologized for how long my TC replacement took and said it's a 12 hour block time because it's 4X4 (8 hours for 2wd).

I laud your patience. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Although it's nice they seem to be working towards a fix, 3 weeks is crazy long. I think after a combined 30 days at the dealership for the same issue it qualifies for a buy back.

I have had the flush and a TC replacement, total time at the dealership, 3.5 days. A half day for the flush/fill and 2.5 days for the TC (one of those days was waiting for the part). I too had a loaner (2018 Silverado). They apologized for how long my TC replacement took and said it's a 12 hour block time because it's 4X4 (8 hours for 2wd).

I laud your patience. Please keep us posted.
I agree seems a bit to long and never experienced this before from a dealer. The lack of communication from the service advisor is horrible.

Your service sounds more like what I should have received. Now I know they have changed owners and are going thru remodeling. Not sure if that is contributing to the delays?

But like I stated I do have a loaner so I want to make sure its done right and not have to keep returning it for the same complaint.

I did get the reverse screen brightness taken care of too as long as it was there. Now if I can find a dealer that can give me a price on the HMI module for turn by turn navigation that would be outstanding as the few I have contacted says it cant be done. But I can outsource another vendor..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took my colorado in this morning. I had the TC changed a year ago before they had the fluid fix, and the fluid flush was done almost 2 months ago. The flush worked for a while but it's having issues again. The dealer told me the tech said it's a "squiggle" and it's because of the emissions equipment on the truck. When driving around 40-50 if I get on the throttle a little it will buck a couple times, sometimes hard sometimes not. It can be hard to tell it's happening because the roads around here aren't great. Anyways, anyone else heard this explanation yet? I think the "squiggle" they are referring to is the whole truck somewhat vibrates under those conditions, probably from lugging . I'm going back in the AM to ride along with the tech and show him what's happening.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
Took my colorado in this morning. I had the TC changed a year ago before they had the fluid fix, and the fluid flush was done almost 2 months ago. The flush worked for a while but it's having issues again. The dealer told me the tech said it's a "squiggle" and it's because of the emissions equipment on the truck. When driving around 40-50 if I get on the throttle a little it will buck a couple times, sometimes hard sometimes not. It can be hard to tell it's happening because the roads around here aren't great. Anyways, anyone else heard this explanation yet? I think the "squiggle" they are referring to is the whole truck somewhat vibrates under those conditions, probably from lugging . I'm going back in the AM to ride along with the tech and show him what's happening.
Roads are a problem as they have a shudder of their own too often.

Also if you are looking for it the transmission will shift often and if it bounces between gears a bit it can feel like a shudder too.

In some cases I wonder if what people think they have really is a shudder. It is almost like a form of the Mandela Effect. What people think may not be what the reality is.

Not saying there is no Sudder as we know there is but how many of the claimed cases may not really be a shudder. What some discribed here it is obvious some cases are something else.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Seems to me that squiggle and shudder are one and the same. Who are they kidding?
"Squiggle" . . . that's a new one. Those service guys can come up with anything. . . .. lol

Sorry. . couldn't help myself. . . . it was so close to "Squiggy" . . ..

·
Registered
461 Posts
Have they done the shim bulletin? The tech said mine needed shims when getting on the gas. there is a bulletin on it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Finally got my truck back from the Transmission shudder flush and Leaf spring shims. I get it home stick my head under the right rear and find the right rear shock is leaking. Already contacted service for that issue. Not sure how you dont see that when putting shims on the leaf spring?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
Finally got my truck back from the Transmission shudder flush and Leaf spring shims. I get it home stick my head under the right rear and find the right rear shock is leaking. Already contacted service for that issue. Not sure how you dont see that when putting shims on the leaf spring?
For warranty work you need to present the problem. Now if they were looking for business they would have told you.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Wow. . . . guess I will have to give my truck my own "27 Point Inspection" before taking it in for my next tire rotation.
That way, I can give them a list of what I see needing attention . . . :cool:

301 - 320 of 326 Posts
About this Discussion
325 Replies
107 Participants
hyperv6
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing