Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

281 - 300 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Ford 10 speed was built with GM. The truck is the same transmission.

Note Ford used their own tuning and programming for their engines as GM did theirs.

We also need to consider this not all of these transmissions are in the same condition. Some have shuttered longer or harder and may have done clutch damage that has hurt the converter.

The new fluid will fix most of these but some may be too far gone to reclaim.

As to how long will this work? Time is the only way to tell. GM and Mobil I am sure did a lot of Dyno time and cycles but the real world is the real test. I am sure they also has some road testing going on too.

Fixes like these are not always fast nor easy. They take time to find and we have seen GM struggle with a remedy and not all were cheap with full replacement of the transmission or converter. Even the fluid flush runs about $650 per truck.

I believe GM May have some solid info showing this will work in most cases when they changed the fluid at the plant. The Class Action means little as they will still end up paying a settlement to make them go away and you will get a card for $200 off the next new vehicle you buy while the Lawyer goes on vacation in the tropics.

For now this is a matter of faith, time and vigilance and watching how this goes.

What we do know so far is most transmissions have reacted in a very positive way shifting better than new in most cases.

Note too some vehicle not solved with fluid may also have other issues creating the problem.

The bottom line is none of us have all the fact nor will we get them. We need to work with what we have and follow along and report here what we do know. If this remains good we will see less complaints and positive reviews. If not we will see more complaints here.

For now flush and drive and keep an eye open but don’t over think this.
Do you have an 8 speed with issues?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yes, but I can just see my dealer(s) keying in on the TB update statement "this service update involves vehicles in dealer inventory only." They look f/ every little loophole...>.<

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Moisture in the fluid sounds like a plausible explanation. It would be interesting to map out the shudder issue geographically to see if the incidence rate is higher in moist/humid environments. High and dry here in Denver, the trans has been perfect to date.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
What was done to fix it? And how long has it lasted? Thanks
The first issue was a drain back in the converter. they put in a new transmission even tough the TSB said to rebuild it.

As for the shudder it was not something I though was bad. But the dealer flushed with no questions asked. It has never been more smooth and better shifting. My cold start hard shift is gone and the longer it is driven the better it down shifts and up shifts smoothly.

The flush was about 2000 miles ago but from what I have seen here there are many who have more miles than I still reporting excellent results.

This is a case of what we do know. None of the old fixes worked and if they did not for long. This fluid appears to be working longer term so far.

Also a GM never committed the old fixes to the production plants. This one they did. Generally this is a sign they are seeing success with this in testing and replacement. Things just don’t get tossed into production on a whim.

Is this the total fix? Possible. Could it fail later there is a chance. But we do know the old fluid it is a matter of time. Also even if you don’t have the shudder the the improvement in shifting was worth it.

Note we all have a 5 year 60k mile powertrain Warranty so aflush now will give most time to see if it works and still be covered if not.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Moisture in the fluid sounds like a plausible explanation. It would be interesting to map out the shudder issue geographically to see if the incidence rate is higher in moist/humid environments. High and dry here in Denver, the trans has been perfect to date.
Yes it is plausible as moisture is a documented issue with other too not just this GM transmission.

Also today we have more fluids than ever for transmissions. Used to be just two and now there are many.

Even gun collectors used to used transmission fluid for guns now they have found the moisture issue is a problem for them too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just had the fluid changed on my 17 ZR2. When I test drove it there was no shudder an then a few days later when I actually picked it up the shudder started. Drove it for about a month an the shudder got worse each day. And it felt like it was loosing power. When I would get on it it felt like I was pulling a trailer or something. Very sluggish feeling. So on Friday I took it in an had it changed. I cant believe the difference it made. Feels like I am driving a completely different truck. Have about 150 miles on the new fluid so far and couldn't be happier with it. Fingers crossed it stays this way. The dealer I had it done at said they have had several come in for the fluid change and so far have not had any come back.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Looks like you have a diesel which would not be an 8 speed, and not affected by the shudder problem, so yours should be problem free.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Looks like you have a diesel which would not be an 8 speed, and not affected by the shudder problem, so yours should be problem free.
Plenty of 6 speed gas truck owners have complained of shudder. I don't recall if any diesel owners have complained though. I do covet the 8 speed for the diesel, assuming it works well of course. Those two extra gears would be nice for keeping the diesel in it's efficient sweet spot.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Plenty of 6 speed gas truck owners have complained of shudder. I don't recall if any diesel owners have complained though. I do covet the 8 speed for the diesel, assuming it works well of course. Those two extra gears would be nice for keeping the diesel in it's efficient sweet spot.
And plenty of those 6spd, newly joined here folks, get caught up in the the 8spd threads, not having been involved the intitial 2 years of the trucks release trans woe threads, to be able to discern a chuggle from a shudder. Aside from an errant bad torque converter, the programming created a similar effect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 Crew Cab, V6, 4WD - For what it's worth, I took mine in a couple of weeks ago and they did the fluid change only. About 400 miles since then and so far so good. I live in Georgia - plenty hot and plenty humid...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Over 2000 miles since the fluid change....still running great! Aside from the occasional 8pd looking for what gear to be in, the "fix" is still holding and at this point it looks like Chevy nailed it with the Mobil fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
NOTE I have NOT gotten the flush yet as Chevy won’t pay for it. But my “driving in chatter strip” has all but disappeared however, now I’m noticing an incredibly hard shift, I’ll quickly come to a stop of some sort, and when trying to accelerate it’ll rev for a millisecond and then slam into a gear, and I’ve lost almost 2 mpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's a separate TSB for that: #16-NA-019

Mine picked up about 1.7mpg after they performed that service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is definitely plausible. I had my fluid flushed and replaced at about 700km. No issues with the transmission for the next 10,000 km until we took a trip out to the west coast of BC (Squamish). We had a couple of days of fairly substantial rain and overall moisture and I began to notice the shudder was returning. It was never as severe or consistent as it was before the initial flush/replace but it was there none the less. I just had the fluid flushed and replaced again at my local dealer. Seems to have solved the issue once again but I will keep my eye on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2017 got the "shudders" after maybe 6 months. Had the initial flush done, seemed to fix it. A year later, it came back. I took it to my dealer, showed them the service bulletin, and they ignored it. They wanted to replace the torque converter. Even though the bulletin directs them to NOT replace the torque converter. I could tell they didn't really give a damn either way. So I went to a different dealer.

They agreed with me that it needed the new Mobil 1 ATF. They replaced the fluid that same day and it fixed the shudder. For now anyways.

Now it's doing the weird hard downshift when I'm slowing down. Taking it in soon to get that looked at.

I have very little confidence in this truck and I regret buying it.
Yes I'm sorry for your experience I was lucky and found out about all the problems as I was buying the damn truck and I backed out at the last second. Yeah you got these guys here that say they have no problems but it's not just the shutter there are other downshifting problems and hard shifts Etc this is just a bogus transmission that's all there is to it Just because someone may have a good one doesn't mean it's good overall it's not. I ended up buying a Nissan pro-4x and it's bulletproof transmission no problems and nobody else has any problems at least not anymore they had a cross-contamination thing back in the 2005 to 2010. In my opinion the only two good trucks on the road are the old school ones that is the tundra and the frontier both have heavy duty torque converters and non active learning Transmissions which is key 4 reliability.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes I'm sorry for your experience I was lucky and found out about all the problems as I was buying the damn truck and I backed out at the last second. Yeah you got these guys here that say they have no problems but it's not just the shutter there are other downshifting problems and hard shifts Etc this is just a bogus transmission that's all there is to it Just because someone may have a good one doesn't mean it's good overall it's not. I ended up buying a Nissan pro-4x and it's bulletproof transmission no problems and nobody else has any problems at least not anymore they had a cross-contamination thing back in the 2005 to 2010. In my opinion the only two good trucks on the road are the old school ones that is the tundra and the frontier both have heavy duty torque converters and non active learning Transmissions which is key 4 reliability.
Toyota and Nissan have had their list of problems as well, this isn't a thread about what truck is better in YOUR opinion. In my and a lot of other guys (on this forum, that you just posted on) the twins have been a great truck and the 3.6 (even paired with this 8 speed) created great power and gas mileage, which is not rivaled by the Nissan. And the tundra isn't even in this trucks class, the Tacoma is the twins competitor

The awful ride experience, pre - historic styling, lack of features and overall lack of interest in the nissan is what kept me with chevy, I paid $8000 less for my chevy than the comparible taco or frontier. Of course there's going to be a draw back, and at least there is a "fix" for my tranny.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry, brand new poster here. I will preface this by saying "I know I am on Coloradofans.com" but I didn't want to get inaccurate information and I trust I will get good information here. Here is my dilemma, I am about to dump a Nissan with transmission issues, I really want to get into a truck... initially I was super pumped about a Tacoma and then started doing research on the ZR2 and I test drove the gasoline version. Aside from the interior I think I am a pretty big fan.

Looking at these forums is this "shutter, or chugg" issue still a problem or is the new transmission fluid looking like a fix? I seriously don't want to get into another vehicle with issues, the resale value on the Tacoma and the "reliability" has me already on the fence.

Just looking for honest opinions about the transmission issue here and general buyers remorse. I really want to give chevy my money.

Edit: Test drove the gasoline version, but definitely gonna find a Duramax, if this makes a difference.

Edit2: And whats up with the seats tearing???!?!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Sorry, brand new poster here. I will preface this by saying "I know I am on Coloradofans.com" but I didn't want to get inaccurate information and I trust I will get good information here. Here is my dilemma, I am about to dump a Nissan with transmission issues, I really want to get into a truck... initially I was super pumped about a Tacoma and then started doing research on the ZR2 and I test drove the gasoline version. Aside from the interior I think I am a pretty big fan.

Looking at these forums is this "shutter, or chugg" issue still a problem or is the new transmission fluid looking like a fix? I seriously don't want to get into another vehicle with issues, the resale value on the Tacoma and the "reliability" has me already on the fence.

Just looking for honest opinions about the transmission issue here and general buyers remorse. I really want to give chevy my money.

Edit: Test drove the gasoline version, but definitely gonna find a Duramax, if this makes a difference.

Edit2: And whats up with the seats tearing???!?!
The fluid flush at this point appears to be the answer. In past attempts the fix never went past the dealers but this time GM has made it the factory fill. This is an indication they are confident this may fix it. But time will be the judge. So far it has been good.

As for the seats. I have seen two issues. On on the stitching the other on the side cover. Both have been addresses with changes in production. It also only affected those who dragged over the seat edge due to their size, lack of a step or weight.

Keep in mind Toyota’s transmission is very slow shifting and clunky. It has its own issues and only Six gears. The issue is that was just all the better it is so no fix for it. No matter what you buy there are some issues on each truck in class. None are perfect for everyone.

281 - 300 of 323 Posts
About this Discussion
322 Replies
106 Participants
GraniteBlue05
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing