Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

I found this part interesting.

“The TCC shudder condition is related to moisture content in the transmission fluid. The current fluid tends to be hydroscopic, or absorbs moisture, which increases the chance of TCC shudder. There are three different fluid exchange procedures to follow, depending on vehicle application, so that an acceptable concentration of the new HP fluid is achieved in the transmission.”

It will be interesting to see if this is finally the issue. Till now with all they have tried it is like GM really was searching but still were not sure.

If the fluid absorbed moisture that would account for some early flushes working and then failing.

Well will just have to see if this does it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
What fluid was in these trucks before? It seems like GM has spent a lot of $$ on this problem as if they really do want to fix it. But if it was fluid used in 20 other transmissions that don’t have issues...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I’ve seen a few of the threads concerning shutter or chuggle. My truck is running fine so I tend not to look for problems I do not have. It’s a balancing act to stay between being a hypochondriac or ignorance is bliss type of person. But I do like to be aware of known issues. One of the many reasons I enjoy this site is the education I get from it.

So here’s my (dumb) question. If the shutter or chuggle show up will it be like a slap in the face? Or more like a slow event that builds up over time? Maybe a better way to put it, will it be like a lightbulb going on and I’ll recognize it right away?

Thanks
Gusto!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought I had the 'transmission shudder' problem. But I don't. It's the freeway. My VW SUV has no problems with this freeway. However, I followed an 18-wheeler tonite in my Colorado on that stretch of freeway. The 18-wheeler shook a lot. And so did my Colorado. So what's wrong with this section of freeway? I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
“The TCC shudder condition is related to moisture content in the transmission fluid. The current fluid tends to be hydroscopic, or absorbs moisture, which increases the chance of TCC shudder. There are three different fluid exchange procedures to follow, depending on vehicle application, so that an acceptable concentration of the new HP fluid is achieved in the transmission.”
That could explain why GM is replacing the fluid with the new Mobil fluid. For those unaware of the workings of an auto trans, replacing fluid isn't a simple matter of dropping the pan, draining and refilling. Doing this doesn't replace fluid in the lines nor fluid trapped in the valve body, torque converter or cooler. Even flushing under pressure will miss some of these areas, which is why it requires a rather large amount of fluid to ensure all the old fluid has been replaced.

GM owners went through a similar (though not nearly as problematic) with the Allison trans used on the 2500/3500 trucks when it was found that a synthetic fluid developed by Allison (Transynd) out performed the fluid supplied by GM. There were no recalls so many owners took it upon themselves to do the change themselves. One owner developed the "Hoot" method (after his user name on a forum). It wasn't for the faint of heart. It involved dropping and draining the pan and removing one of the transmission lines, then running the engine/trans in place to drain the cooler and torque converter. Refill and repeat, three times I believe. People who performed this claimed it worked. I'll take their word for it, as I never read of any of them burning up their transmissions. Just another one of those numerous factoids I thought I'd share. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I read this and it really appears plausible. God knows we have seen so many odd theories here.

The fluid has been new. The ability to absorb moisture would create the issue. Even a sealed system can absorb moisture as we see in brake systems.

The fact not everyone has the issue would also play a part if the system is absorbing moisture. Not everyone would have the issue at the same time nor if you got a flush would it stay away for a long time.

The parts all appear to fit now the question is have they really found the real issue. This really has looked like a case of GM not knowing what the trouble was vs just looking for a cheap fix.

They could have run though development and never had this issue for a number of reasons.

Well let’s just sit back and see if this is the fix. We here should be some of the first to know if this finally works or not.

At least GM is still working on this. I hope they will address this under the drive line warranty to cover older vehicles as that should cover everyone to 5 years 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts

Comments on this video about flushing transmission fluid? Seems to be a pretty good flush video.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I’ve seen a few of the threads concerning shutter or chuggle. My truck is running fine so I tend not to look for problems I do not have. It’s a balancing act to stay between being a hypochondriac or ignorance is bliss type of person. But I do like to be aware of known issues. One of the many reasons I enjoy this site is the education I get from it.

So here’s my (dumb) question. If the shutter or chuggle show up will it be like a slap in the face? Or more like a slow event that builds up over time? Maybe a better way to put it, will it be like a lightbulb going on and I’ll recognize it right away?

Thanks
Gusto!
Well for my 2019 v6: I would say it started around 4000 or so as an occasional but irritating “touch” to the face. Then by 4500 it was “ slapping me hard and calling me Shirley!”

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not sure if this is a player in the "moisture in the trans" issue but a lot of stop and go, short trips will not allow the trans fluid to heat adequately allowing moisture to enter the system in the form of condensation. I've seen it hundreds of times on bikes that only see short "bar hopping" trips. Even had it on my own bike since the 8 miles to work where not enough to adequately heat the engine and trans fluid. Aluminum "sweats" when heated. Some types more than others. Maybe that's where moisture is coming from. IDK.

I do know some fluids are more prone to absorbing moisture. DOT 5 brake fluid is silicone based and doesn't but Dot 3 and 4 are glycol based and will allow moisture to form. Not all fluids are created equal. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison but you can't rule it out.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Per the TechLink article, it says that bulk 55 gallon drum production ended in Jan. 2019, and dealers will only receive 120 quarts/week. Wow, they will not be able to service many trucks at that rate, being as though it will probably take 15-20 quarts to get the old fluid flushed out. No way will this keep up with the demand of affected trucks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Per the TechLink article, it says that bulk 55 gallon drum production ended in Jan. 2019, and dealers will only receive 120 quarts/week. Wow, they will not be able to service many trucks at that rate, being as though it will probably take 15-20 quarts to get the old fluid flushed out. No way will this keep up with the demand of affected trucks.
Might be better off getting the fluid aftermarket and having a certified transmission shop change it out. I don't think they can void your warranty for having fluid changed so long as the fluid meets the GM requirements.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The one thing I find different here is we now appear to have a discriotion of a cause.

I do not recall the previous TSBs having a direct problem described. They just changed oil and converters with hope it would resolve the issue.

Maybe now that they pinpoint the issue is a sign they really have found the problem. Well we can always hope.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Might be better off getting the fluid aftermarket and having a certified transmission shop change it out. I don't think they can void your warranty for having fluid changed so long as the fluid meets the GM requirements.
GM is requiring that all of their dealers use a specific Bosch flush tool instead of what they have been using for flushing transmissions. I recommend letting the GM dealer do it in case this does not work due to the torque converter. You will not know if the so-called certified transmission shop has the flushing equipment that GM wants to be used for round 3 of the solution to the problem. A few members noted on one of the other transmission threads that the dealer condemned the torque converter. Maybe it was needed or the dealer was guessing because of a new revised torque converter is available from GM. I would rather have GM do the repair with under warranty so there is a paper trail in case a new TC is needed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
GM is requiring that all of their dealers use a specific Bosch flush tool instead of what they have been using for flushing transmissions. I recommend letting the GM dealer do it in case this does not work due to the torque converter. You will not know if the so-called certified transmission shop has the flushing equipment that GM wants to be used for round 3 of the solution to the problem. A few members noted on one of the other transmission threads that the dealer condemned the torque converter. Maybe it was needed or the dealer was guessing because of a new revised torque converter is available from GM. I would rather have GM do the repair with under warranty so there is a paper trail in case a new TC is needed.
Ah, I didn't know they were using a specialized tool for the flush. In that case I'd probably have the dealership handle it as well.

Although it does make me wonder that if there's a backlog due to limited supply of fluid at the dealership if you could buy the same fluid aftermarket and bring it to the dealership. That might get you bumped up in line.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was told by the Service Manager where I had my transmission flushed this week, that the special machine they use heats the oil before pumping it in, which happens in several stages, and at the end of each stage the machine cranks out a code which the technician records in the work order to prove that each stage was completed as programmed-- and the dealer gets paid only if the right codes are recorded in the work order.

1 - 20 of 331 Posts
About this Discussion
330 Replies
107 Participants
hyperv6
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing