Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Using your logic, the V6 relies on the 8 speed and should be considered one unit. Right? The diesel can be tuned to run without the emissions equipment. Can you drive the V6 without the 8-speed though?

I guess people have just started ignoring recent posts about shudder. There have still been reports of shudder, fluid replacement, and even torque converter replacements on at least 2020 models. Didn't take long to find those posts either.

Again, the rate of issues with the 8-speed overshadows any issues the 2.8 has had and the 8-speed issues are still being reported.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
You can drive a V6 with shudder but you cannot drive a 2.8 with ANY emissions related issue. And you CANNOT tune it out since it's illegal. In my opinion, engine failures and inability to drive over 5mph constitutes worse issues than shudder any day of the week. And this is applicable to the OP since he couldn't drive his truck because of these BS issues.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Very much obliged for the insights on my little post-mortem. Helps me out a lot. @DieselDrax & @Goodspike , did you actually get a regen message on your console while towing to know that it was happening? Just trying to get an idea of what to look out for, because I didn't see any messages about regens happening and didn't think to read the data before I started poking around.
Staying on topic, this (Banks i-Dash) is for me the best way to know if a Regen is happening while towing. You can't tell by MPG like when driving unloaded. I will say I have seen when my trailer is attached and a Regen starts road conditions will cause it to pause and restart based on engine loading. If I'm cruising at around 65 and encounter a steep incline as I dig into the go pedal it will cause the Regen to pause. As I crest the hill and start coming off the throttle pedal the Regen will resume.

This tells me that If I had a real strong headwind and I was trying to go 70+ with the trailer attached it could create a condition where engine loading is above some perimeter set level which could delay the Regen. This is definitely independent of EGR temps as I monitor them as well.

Just food for thought....

Plant Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2017 AT4x4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
2,977 Posts
You can drive a V6 with shudder but you cannot drive a 2.8 with ANY emissions related issue. And you CANNOT tune it out since it's illegal. In my opinion, engine failures and inability to drive over 5mph constitutes worse issues than shudder any day of the week. And this is applicable to the OP since he couldn't drive his truck because of these BS issues.
It's also not applicable to the vast majority of diesel owners, since over 99.99% don't have the OP's problem...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
This is why I wanted to tune my diesel, considering myself lucky I was able to get am intact tune before the big crackdown. When I get low on DEF, it is limited to 124 MPH. I can live with that :LOL:

Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Tachometer Gauge

·
Registered
67 Posts
…What I was told is that while towing or under that kind of load, DPF regen will not happen. The only recommendation GM has for a customer to try and fix, is to unhitch from the trailer and drive on the highway unencumbered for ~40mi in hopes that it will allow DPF regen to happen, "hope" being the keyword.
@thewams I’m curious about her statement. “While towing” could mean tow mode engaged, or it could mean the system senses a tow wiring harness connected for brake/turn signal, or it could imply “under that kind of load” - whatever that means. I don’t tow… but i have a GFC topper which adds enough wind resistance to cut mpg by 6-8. I’ll bet your mpg doesnt drop that much when hauling an empty trailer(?). I’m also considering one of those trailer wire harnesses which allow accessory power takeoff for loghts and such in the truck bed - but would the vehicle be fooled into thinking it’s towing because the tow wiring is effectively seeing a connected electrical load. So many questions.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
@thewams I’m curious about her statement. “While towing” could mean tow mode engaged, or it could mean the system senses a tow wiring harness connected for brake/turn signal, or it could imply “under that kind of load” - whatever that means. I don’t tow… but i have a GFC topper which adds enough wind resistance to cut mpg by 6-8. I’ll bet your mpg doesnt drop that much when hauling an empty trailer(?). I’m also considering one of those trailer wire harnesses which allow accessory power takeoff for loghts and such in the truck bed - but would the vehicle be fooled into thinking it’s towing because the tow wiring is effectively seeing a connected electrical load. So many questions.
See my post up a bit, the service writer was confused/misspoke about towing preventing regens. That isn't and has never been the case, you don't have to worry or make any changes. The computer will fire off a regen whenever it's necessary, towing or not.

Reactions: Duken4evr

·
Registered
18 Posts
The issue that thewams had is the one that made me sell my 2.8 Canyon. Towing on a multi-day trip would invariably trip the 'DEF Quality Poor' warning, along with the threat to eventually incapacitate the truck. Really sucks when you're in the desert west, many miles from a dealer. And, the (several) times that I did make it to a dealer, mostly they had no clue. Warranty is pretty useless when the dealers don't know how to repair the vehicles. Sigh.

But I liked the Canyon, and its diesel, enough that I bought a Sierra Denali Duramax 3.0. Which now, at 10k, of course has a DEF problem: warning me that the tank is empty, and I have X number of miles to go, when I know that the tank is almost full. Are you bleeping kidding me? Another sigh. And yup, the problem only shows up when towing on a trip.

There's a reason the new Tundra won't be available with a diesel: they don't want their dealers to have to deal with this crap.

I've been using the Platinum flavor of DEF for the last 9k miles. I'm assuming that there's no way that my tank level mis-reporting can be related to the Platinum stuff.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
@Matrix The Platinum DEF had been associated with countless issues with DEF systems. This has been discussed here before. You should use the freshest, cheapest DEF you can find. DEF is a very specific formula and something about the Platinum DEF really messes with some systems. Not just the 2.8, but basically all of them. A Google search will reveal a lot of complaints about it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Like @DieselDrax was saying, it shouldn't matter. There were a lot of variables at play, and it's tough to narrow down the mix that created the problem. Towing/tow mode may have just been a piece of the puzzle. Or it could be a red herring. The more I've thought about it, another factor with driving through New Mexico is driving at elevation. The trailer wasn't loaded down, but it's still a giant sail. Maybe a combination of straining a bit more in tow/haul mode with colder, leaner air could have been a trigger? I don't know. All I know is what I did that seemed to get me moving again, and without having to lose a couple days and a thousand bucks to hotels, a tow truck, and service at the dealer.

When the problem came back later (just after crossing through Arizona) and cleared itself on its own, I switched back to normal drive mode and reduced speed to take it real easy going through the hills and mountains in California. Fortunately I managed to finish the last 400mi without tripping the message again.

I've gone through the emotions of "F this PoS" and "I'm never buying a modern-day vehicle ever again" and all the stuff that helps one cope when confronted with a complex, unfamiliar automotive obstacle. Once I got settled and recovered, it all reminded me of a story. I used to work with a senior electrical engineer in my younger days, and one day I made a really dumb decision, zapped some hardware, and nearly electrocuted myself. As I sat there contemplating my mortality, the engineer put their arm on my shoulder and said, "Y'know, this was good. You didn't get hurt, and you learned a really important lesson that you're never going to forget". Ultimately, what happened on the road was a net positive. I don't ever want it to happen again, and I've done all I can to ensure it won't, but this helped me learn a lot more about my truck, both on my own and here in this thread. And it's helped me clarify some decisions about my automotive expectations for the future. Hopefully, it helps other people learn some stuff too. Thanks again to everybody who shared their experience and technical knowledge about the diesel emissions systems.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Diesels used to be simple creatures that were easy to work on and ran forever. Encumbered with all of this emissions crap, they’re finicky and over complicated.
^^ THIS! I am still driving my 2004 Collie crew cab which has 67,000 miles on it (yeah I'm an old timer) but the truck runs well so I'm not worried about it. I have a 2003 Diesel Jetta which I do most of my driving (48mpg vs 20 on the Colorado) so I fully agree with what you're saying. Older diesel engines are simple rugged things that run forever with minimal maintenance. Adding all this emissions crap makes life hard. The Jetta has an EGR which clogs up the intake manifold with greasy sooty crud. Easiest way to fix that after cleaning is disable it by putting a block in the vacuum to the EGR. Then you tweak the duty cycle of the EGR to minimum to stop it throwing codes.

When my Collie is no longer doing it for me, I'd love to get a Diesel, but by the time I'm ready for one it will likely be more emissions than engine and de-nutted.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Been using the cheap Supertech DEF from Walmart since day 1, it is $7.95 for a 2.5 gallon jug and the next best thing to filling up at a truck stop DEF pump. Expensive marketed as "premium" DEF could be worse as it may have sat on the shelf a lot longer. Nobody wants to pay through the nose for DEF, it is commodity.

Reactions: Harobmxer87

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado CCLB 2wd 2.8L Duramax Summit White
205 Posts
I’ve been using Supertech DEF from Walmart for awhile now with no problems. One of the times I went to buy some it was sold out along with the normal Blue DEF. The Platinum Blue DEF was the only thing on the self. So clearly everyone’s last choice when it comes to DEF.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Been using the cheap Supertech DEF from Walmart since day 1, it is $7.95 for a 2.5 gallon jug and the next best thing to filling up at a truck stop DEF pump. Expensive marketed as "premium" DEF could be worse as it may have sat on the shelf a lot longer. Nobody wants to pay through the nose for DEF, it is commodity.
Me Too without issue

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
I’ve been using Supertech DEF from Walmart for awhile now with no problems.
I used to buy from Costco, but they quit carrying DEF and one time at Walmart I they only had one box of DEF--I think that's what it was. And last time at NAPA they only had a couple of boxes of DEF, and that store is a major distribution center for them.

Has anyone else noticed DEF in short supply?

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado CCLB 2wd 2.8L Duramax Summit White
205 Posts
It varies. Sometimes when I need DEF there’s plenty to be found. And then sometimes I have to drive to 3 different places before I can find some. Or I have to just keeping checking back every day until Walmart restocks their selves.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I haven't bought DEF in a jug for probably 2+ years, always from the DEF pump and never had any supply issues (or issues related to bad DEF).

Reactions: Duken4evr
41 - 60 of 95 Posts