Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew how to program a keyless entry remote or if it's something that has to be done by the dealer. Both of my remotes have broken where they slide onto the keyring and it's rather annoying having to keep up with a set of keys and a remote now. Also if anyone knows if these can be ordered from gmpartsdirect.com?

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A new remote from GM is about $50 and programming is 35. I bought one from e-bay for about 15 bucks. It was advertised as made by the original manufacturer and it is identical to my Chevy remote.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Stealership is the only way.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
check out this guy. he sells individual parts. you can buy just the new housing. send him an email.

Why buy a whole new one if just the plastic is broken?

http://www.keynfob.com/

hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did this on a TrailBlazer and it worked. (Google GM Remote keyless entry)

Close all the vehicle doors.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold the DOOR unlock switch.
While holding the DOOR lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
Release the DOOR unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one keyless remote. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (one more click forward) position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
jpo said:

While holding the DOOR lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
Release the DOOR unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one keyless remote. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (one more click forward) position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
does NOT work for our trucks.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
th2855 said:
jpo said:

does NOT work for our trucks.
But but but - it's a GM product! They all work this way!

And we can see our oil life % on the DIC too right?

:lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I haven't owned a new Chevy for a long time and I am amazed that every separate model is totally different. The Silverado and other big trucks have add-on OEM foglight kits, the Colofado doesn't; the keyless entry is different, etc, etc.

Before someone says all maufacturers are the same, I have had 5 Jeeps as my playtoys in the last 10 years that were Cherokees, Grand Cherokees and Wranglers and l these type of things were not noticable to me.

I love my Colorado, but this is frustrating.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey - TH 2855

Love your ID tag getting kicked in the nuts by a hot brunette. You saved me a kick in the nuts at the dealer. My cover was broke and all I needed was the cover. The website below (you provided) has them for $16 total ($4 shipping).

http://www.keynfob.com/

It appears the so far he only sell this particular model and it actually has a trunk switch that we do not need on it. I contacted them to be sure I could use the BOB with the trunk switch.....not a problem.

So, the stealer wanted $69.00 you saved me $53.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rangerbob: I'm not sure my other reply went through. This site is great for information. I bought my keyless remote (factory OEM-Used) on Ebay for $8.00. I had this keyless remote programmed at the dealership for $0.00, they said Merry Xmas. They couldnt get the Horn to blow when I locked the doors. I got on this site, found the procedures and the information on DIC . It worked on first try. The COlorado does need to be programmed at the dealer though, I am told. The regular ignition keys are special too. Can't get blanks at Walmart or any other discount stores. Probably at a locksmith though.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts