Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Just used Dexos1 for my oil change how screwed am I?

27K views 96 replies 29 participants last post by  Diesel Dan71 
#1 ·
first time changing the oil on this truck or any diesel and was given a wix filter, all they had, and 6 Qts 5W-30 Castrol at the parts store, my preferred brand. finish up the change and putting the cap back on i see the dexos2 on the cap next to the dexos....1 on my oil. how screwed am I? drain and replace at $25 and half an hour wasted screwed? drain and replace along with the filter at $50 and a half hour wasted screwed? or sell the truck before it explodes screwed.
thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Dexos2 has a different and somewhat lower anti-wear add pack. This is done to reduce build up in the particulate filter for the most part. It takes a good amount of time (and oil consumption) for that to occur.
I would drain, refill with Dexos2 and run until the service indicator says it's time to change again. I personally wouldn't do the filter or worry about that amount of oil but YMMV.
Anyway - no real damage done.

#4 ·
thanks for the response, my plan is to run oil changes every 5k, it's my second car so it'll probably end up being once a year. I'll send the oil for analyses from blackstone labs like i do my car, they can tell me if i need changes sooner... and if the dealer actually changed the oil before i bought it or not. you've put me at ease enough to run the oil till i can get some shipped here because apparently dexos2 oil is like unicorn piss up here.
You will be fine, don't even trip dawg.
thanks for the peace of mind.

#5 ·
Not sure why Dexos 2 is hard to find in your area. Every parts store around here has it. Quartz, Motul, Penzoil, A/C Delco, are a few.
If you can't find it, in the meantime at least use a good diesel oil with low ash, like Shell Rotella T6 5w40.

#8 · (Edited)
Dexos 1 5w-30 is too thin. You need to change that ASAP.

rotella t6 is made in 0w40 and even 5w30 now
This is a diesel engine, which calls for 5W-30, so it's not too thin. And I don't believe there's a Rotella that is Dexos rated, although if there's something new, maybe.

But to the OP, there's Dexos 1, Gen 2, Dexos 2 and now Dexos D (3.0 liter Duramax only). I assume you put in Dexos 1, Gen 2 by mistake. I'd replace it if for no other reason it's not designed for a diesel engine.

Edit: It doesn't appear there is a Rotella Dexos 2, but from the list it appears Penzoil is a Shell product??? I've never heard that before.

#17 ·
Worst advice ever. Dexos 2 oil is a high HTHS oil (greater than 3.5) while Dexos 1 Gen 2 is a low HTHS (typically ~3.1) oil designed for better fuel economy in gasoline engines. HTHS is a trade off between protection and fuel economy.
Also check out the manual. It recommends against pouring snake oil additives into the engine.

#25 ·
The viscosity isn’t correct tho
What are you talking about? The 2.8 Duramax calls for 5w30 and comes with that from the factory, the problem is the OP used dexos1 instead of dexos2 oil.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#27 ·
#29 ·
A 5w30 is a 5w30 duh
Indeed, and yet you claimed 5w30 wasn't the correct viscosity for the 2.8 diesel and was too thin. You going to edit these posts to just "." like your others because you posted nonsense?

#33 ·
I will. You think d2 5w30 and d1g2 5w30 is the same viscosity and I’m posting nonsense. Thought you were better than that.
If you don't understand why what you just posted is nonsense then you have no place discussing oil. 5w30 doesn't magically change to mean something entirely different just because one is dexos1 and the other is dexos2. The SAE viscosity ratings have nothing to do with manufacturer specs and everything to do with the actual viscosity of the oil. Doesn't matter if it's API SN, CK-4, or even ACEA C3. A 5w30 is a 5w30.

Reactions: dmaxjr
#36 ·
Knowledge test for you. Which of these is the dexos2 oil in 5w30?

SAE viscosity grade - 5W-30
Kinematic viscosity @ 100C - 11.9
Pour point - -39C
or

SAE viscosity grade - 5W-30
Kinematic viscosity @ 100C - 11.8
Pour point - -48C

#38 ·
#41 ·
Post all the viscosity specs
You don't need them. Answer the question. Or do you really not understand how the SAE J300 classification works? We get it, you don't want to answer the question because you know it contradicts what you claimed.

A 5W-30 oil has to fall within the range of 9.3-12.5 cSt @ 100C with a minimum HTHS of 2.9 cP/mPa-s @ 150C using the SAE J300 classification. Doesn't matter if it's dexos1 or dexos2, all 5W-30 oils have to meet those specs/minimums. The 2.8 specs 5W-30 and is the factory fill. The dexos2 spec is based on the ACEA C3 spec which does go a step further and states that HTHS @ 150C has to be >= 3.5, but that is inconsequential in reality because you're not going to see 150C/302F oil temps with this engine, even if you run it at WOT until the oil temp stabilizes.

You claimed the 5w30 dexos1 oil was too thin for the 2.8 but refuse to point out which oil is the dexos2 oil among the 2 oils I listed, probably because you know I chose a dexos1 oil with a higher viscosity @ 100C and a higher pour point than the given dexos2 oil. The oil temp with the 2.8 is going to spend 99% of its time at or below 100C, the only time it will go higher (and even then not much higher) is when towing, so the statement that the 5w30 dexos1 oil is too thin for the 2.8 is pure nonsense on your part.

So, kindly take your condescending attitude and your misinformation elsewhere. Maybe pick up a book as well.

Reactions: Ripstik
#42 ·
Indeed, it's almost as if they don't want their nonsense being quoted or replied to. That's why we must quote their posts, so they live on and others can see what we've had to deal with. :D

#44 ·
Semantics
No, they're called facts and you were incorrect. I don't expect you to admit you were wrong, though, so carry on with your posting of nonsense and then editing them to "." later since that's what you like to do. I think "." is as close as we're going to get to "I was wrong." Maybe you're just a troll, who knows.

Reactions: rotaryenginepete
#49 ·
So what was the answer tho? The d2 5w30 was more viscous if you include the hths, wasn’t it?
It's clear you have no idea what HTHS measures or why it's irrelevant with regard to what you claimed.

A 5w30 dexos1 oil had a higher viscosity at 100C than a 5w30 dexos2 oil yet you claimed dexos1 oils are too thin. Now you're talking about HTHS as if it comes into play at normal operating temperatures, which it doesn't. An oil with a higher HTHS doesn't mean it has a higher viscosity at normal operating temperatures. You know that, right?

What HTHS measures is the oil's ability to stay in-grade and not shear down. It has nothing to do with the viscosity at normal operating temperature.

Reactions: Coloradocolada
#51 ·
What happens to the viscosity when it shears down?
Stick to the topic at hand, which is your bogus claim of 5w30 dexos1 being too thin compared to a 5w30 dexos2. I'm not going to play your game where you attempt to redeem yourself by changing the subject to an irrelevant measurement. Give it up. Or don't. But I'm done playing your games.

Reactions: Coloradocolada
#53 ·
Just so you know, most threads here are not like this. The deleting comment is almost entirely new, and in the past mainly limited to accidental duplicates. And most the posters are knowledgeable.

But looking back, in addition to the nonsense posts there was a bit of joking around, but that was after you'd received some decent answers.

#56 ·
This just arrived today from Amazon for my upcoming winter-in-Illinois oil change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.