Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Dexos 2 was designed to protect the DPF and to keep the soot in the oil from forming sludge. A drain and refill with Dexos 2 should be all you need. I would not change the filter just for the cup that is left in there. Most people don't even know that Dexos 2 exists. You can get it from any GM dealership but it's very expensive. I buy Mobil 1 or Castrol from Amazon. Because no one carries it on the West coast.
Castrol 03559 Edge 5W-30 C3 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart $24.47
yea IDK why its so hard to find, went looking for it at wally world and found an empty spot in the shelves where it probably should have been in between HD diesel oil and all the gasser oils. settled for buying pennzoil euro L online since it said it would be here today.... of course the single quart bottle is the one that not going to be here till next week sometime. its killing me to have it sitting there doing nothing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
first time changing the oil on this truck or any diesel and was given a wix filter, all they had, and 6 Qts 5W-30 Castrol at the parts store, my preferred brand. finish up the change and putting the cap back on i see the dexos2 on the cap next to the dexos....1 on my oil. how screwed am I? drain and replace at $25 and half an hour wasted screwed? drain and replace along with the filter at $50 and a half hour wasted screwed? or sell the truck before it explodes screwed.
thanks in advance.
Relax, what you used will be fine for your 5,000 mile oil change. What you used will not hurt anything for the 5,000 miles, and probably wouldn't hurt anything for the next 100,000 miles mechanically; perhaps in the emissions controls area there could be some issues. Next time however I would just be mindful of the Dexos 2 requirement and go on from there using whatever brand it is that you desire.

I myself have my own preferences of oil brands based on my time building racing engines and working with various lubrication engineers from some of the oil companies.

I have a Colorado with the DuraMax and use Mobil 1 ESP Motor Oil 123875 - 0W/40. I live in Southern California, and we end up driving in the desert in the summer at times, so I just like the extra protection that it gives. I've also used Redline as well. I won't go into the reasons, but while I used to be a Valvoline guy, but I'm not any more after some issues with drag racing application. Castoil is fine, but tends to foam more than others, and Pennsoil has been inconsistent over the last 5 years.

Enjoy...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Heresy! Never mix oils from different mfrs! (I'm kidding, since we've established that there's no appropriate emoticon).

I was always curious though, about additive compatibility between mfrs. Does someone test that? I pretty much use just Mobil 1 in my GASOLINE vehicles. LoL. Including my new ZR2, once I get to the point of having to change it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Reactions: Dwsann

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
yea thats what i ended up getting. plus 2 single quart bottles since i was right on the edge of free shipping and the shipping was more expensive than the quart.... but the single quarts never showed up even though the tracking said it had... so i contacted Walmart, said i never got them, got a refund, and they arrived today somehow, over a week after they were said to be delivered.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yea thats what i ended up getting. plus 2 single quart bottles since i was right on the edge of free shipping and the shipping was more expensive than the quart.... but the single quarts never showed up even though the tracking said it had... so i contacted Walmart, said i never got them, got a refund, and they arrived today somehow, over a week after they were said to be delivered.
Just buy 2 large jugs.
You will use it over the next few oil changes anyway. I rarely buy single quarts anymore. Only time I can think of is the 10w-40 wet clutch oil for my ATV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
yea i just didn't want to buy a bunch of pennzoil just because it's all i could get at the time. but honestly i may stick with it now just because of how much easier it is to tell if its dirty oil or not in the yellow bottle compared to black

·
Registered
33 Posts
yea i just didn't want to buy a bunch of pennzoil just because it's all i could get at the time. but honestly i may stick with it now just because of how much easier it is to tell if its dirty oil or not in the yellow bottle compared to black
It's all we run since buying our Diesel Cruze new in 2014 and on our gas 1.4L Cruze and UOA showed it held up better than the dealer supplied oil.
New Oil List For the Cruze Diesel | Chevrolet Cruze Forums (cruzetalk.com)

81 - 91 of 91 Posts